TripAdvisor
MidTrail Motel & Inn(Pleasant Bay)
Gulf Breeze(Pleasant Bay)
  • Pool
All reviewsprivate roomcabot trailfamily roomnice deckthe kitchengreat recommendationsthe ownergreat place to staycape breton islanddawngroceriescanadaguitarcheticampwashroomstoriesqueen
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I have stayed in many different hostels around the world, but this was by far the most basic. My partner and I had a private room, which was large and cosy enough. However, the walls in this place were paper thin, and the gaps below the doors meant that we could hear EVERYTHING going on in the surrounding rooms (which include the laundry, reception, common room and bathroom)! Due to the weather and a cancelled boat trip, we found ourselves spending more time in the hostel than we intended. However, if you have a busy schedule and are looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful to lay down your head, this would probably do the trick. The staff were very friendly and the hostel was clean!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I have stayed in hostels all over Europe, and have seen the best and worst of hostels. This hostel is one of the best I have stayed in! The location along the Cabot Trail is fantastic, as you can easily access Cape Breton Highlands National Park trails, the beach is just a short walk away, and you can keep busy for a couple of days without having to venture too far from "home". The hostel itself was extremely clean, and Dawn was a fantastic host. I highly recommend this place!

When staying here: keep an eye out for moose...one stopped by to eat right across the road from the hostel both nights we were there. Amazing to see them up close! And I highly recommend hiking the Skyline Trail (about 20 minutes from the hostel) after 6 p.m. during the summer. Most people have left the trails for the day....we had the entire trail to ourselves so it was a very peaceful, and the sun was just beginning to set. This trail is also known for "moose spotting" as well...we saw one! Just make sure you don't hang around too late, or you'll be driving home in the dark with the potential for the moose to venture onto the roads.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2, which was a private double with easy access to both washrooms, but all rooms are near washrooms. Nice and quiet setting.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I've travelled and hosteled throughout Europe - and have stayed in places in about 30 countries. This was one of the best hostel experiences I have ever had. It's not lavish - it's not the Hyatt. Bu it is extremely cozy, clean and felt like I was staying with a family. Dawn, the caretaker, is one of the kindest and most warmhearted people I've ever met. She will go very far out of her way to make you feel welcome, recommend sights in the area and use her local contacts to make sure you're getting the best experience possible. The hostel attracted an interesting mix of solo or group travelers who sat around sharing their stories and cooking dinner. Seriously, you should stay here. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Basic accomodations, nothing fancy but very clean. Great spot for hikers or campers looking for hot showers and a place to sleep and cook out of the elements. They have a nice deck with a grill! Dawn, the manager, is super nice.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had the opportunity to stay here as part of a tour organized by Salty Bear Adventure. I simply loved it! Dawn is a great host and she was always looking to help us. The place is very cozy, quiet and clean. The hostel offers a basic accommodation with some more amenities like BBQ, WiFi, common room and kitchen. I highly recommend to stay here if you plan to do the cabot trail as it is a great value for your money.

The only downsize is that the breakfast is not included (like in some other HI hostels in Canada)

Room Tip: The bunk house has 10 beds and one washroom, so it can be challenging to use the washroom. However, you can always drop by in the main house and use the washroom there. Also, you can walk to Capt Mark's whale tours from there.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends