All reviews private room cabot trail family room nice deck the kitchen great recommendations the owner great place to stay cape breton island dawn groceries canada guitar cheticamp washroom stories queen
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We stayed at HI Cabot Trail for 2 nights as part of our Salty Bear Tour. We loved it - clean, welcoming and a country home feel to the place. The hostel's manager, Dawn, was helpful and extremely hospitable. Not to mention the resident hummingbirds on the back porch. Short stroll to the beach! We had a great time with Salty Bear Tour: Mike (guide) and Allison (manager) were professional, humorous and made our tour so comfortable. Allison made a lovely lobster dinner (everything was home made!). Mike accommodated our requests & made us a bonfire. We spotted 6 mooses, 2 of them were up close and personal. Cabot Trail was indeed unforgettable!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank JVHeng
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This place was booked ot the rafters and I was relieved we had reserved the family room a month in advance! The manager is so friendly and helpful, even in helpnig us find accommodations for other nights when the weather ruined our next night's camping plans in another region. Wold have stayed here but they were booked!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Siulaia
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I just spent 6 nights at this place, my basecamp on the Cabot Trail. It is a terrific place to spend a night or several, located a short drive from several great hikes, a walk to a beautiful beach, whale watching and a great seafood restaurant (the rusty anchor). I was very impressed by the friendliness and professionalism of Dawn, the hostel manager, who is always ready with a smile and a word of advice about where to explore. She knows the area extremely well and is the type of person who will go the extra mile (I needed to see a doctor during my visit but had no car or way of getting to the clinic 40km away. Without hesitating a minute, Dawn packed me into her car and drove me to the doctor, waited with me for my prescription to be filled and drove me back to the hostel, a 5 hour ordeal. While I hope other people won't need as much attention from her as I did, this is a good example of Dawn's generosity). More practicalities...the bunkhouse itself is very nice and airy, the beds very clean and the travellers passing through very nice. The two kitchens are well stocked and fully functional, and again, very clean. There's even a fresh herb garden for hostel guests! If you're with a family or partner, the private rooms look very nice. If I make it back to the Cabot Trail, staying here will be my priority.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank khadi33
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The hostel has very familiar atmosphere with a very supportive staff. The bathrooms have enough space and were very clean. Apart of the dorm the general rooms were very convenient and also clean. I felt very sorry to leave that nice hostel so early.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael666407
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I stayed here with my girlfriend in July 2012. Nice, clean hostel. Cooked lobster on the deck with pots and stove provided by the hostel. Quick walk to the beach and whale watching. Would definitely stay there again!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple