Cabot Trail Hostel
TripAdvisor
MidTrail Motel & Inn(Pleasant Bay)
Gulf Breeze(Pleasant Bay)
  • Pool
All reviewsprivate roomcabot trailfamily roomnice deckthe kitchenthe ownergreat recommendationsgreat place to staycape breton islanddawngroceriescanadaguitarcheticampwashroomstoriesqueen
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I just spent 6 nights at this place, my basecamp on the Cabot Trail. It is a terrific place to spend a night or several, located a short drive from several great hikes, a walk to a beautiful beach, whale watching and a great seafood restaurant (the rusty anchor). I was very impressed by the friendliness and professionalism of Dawn, the hostel manager, who is always ready with a smile and a word of advice about where to explore. She knows the area extremely well and is the type of person who will go the extra mile (I needed to see a doctor during my visit but had no car or way of getting to the clinic 40km away. Without hesitating a minute, Dawn packed me into her car and drove me to the doctor, waited with me for my prescription to be filled and drove me back to the hostel, a 5 hour ordeal. While I hope other people won't need as much attention from her as I did, this is a good example of Dawn's generosity). More practicalities...the bunkhouse itself is very nice and airy, the beds very clean and the travellers passing through very nice. The two kitchens are well stocked and fully functional, and again, very clean. There's even a fresh herb garden for hostel guests! If you're with a family or partner, the private rooms look very nice. If I make it back to the Cabot Trail, staying here will be my priority.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank khadi33
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The hostel has very familiar atmosphere with a very supportive staff. The bathrooms have enough space and were very clean. Apart of the dorm the general rooms were very convenient and also clean. I felt very sorry to leave that nice hostel so early.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael666407
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I stayed here with my girlfriend in July 2012. Nice, clean hostel. Cooked lobster on the deck with pots and stove provided by the hostel. Quick walk to the beach and whale watching. Would definitely stay there again!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BBBrianNJ
Reviewed 14 July 2012 via mobile

I was the only guest when I arrived. I was even the only human in the hostel : you have to call the owner and she'll be here for the Check-in a few minutes later.
Another guest arrived half an hour later and the owner left the place.
Then, i spent a good evening with the other guest (outside, the weather was good).
The location is perfect on the cabot trail, near to the skyline

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Zeglop
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The place seemed vacant with the manager always absent. Dawn was always gone. The common computer is the slowest I've seen. Bring your own laptop. Kitchen area is large and clean. Good place to visit but don't count on anyone being around.

Room Tip: Be prepared for absent manager.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo