“Good but Not Great”

Moxi Restaurant Hotel Matilda
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Moxi is a chic and elegant restaurant located in the award-winning Hotel Matilda, in the center of colonial San Miguel. Specializes in contemporary Mexican cuisine and offers an extraordinary tasting menu. Dine in an ambiance of artistic elegance, surrounded by beautiful modern art by some of Latin America's finest artists.
Reviewed 21 December 2017

We've eaten at Moxi a half dozen times over the last 5 years. In fact, we were so impressed on our last Christmas trip, we ate there twice in 3 days. The design, the setting the ambience cannot be beaten in San Miguel or pretty much anywhere. We reaffirmed that on this trip. Service was accommodating, and with personality as usual. They had reserved an outside table for us, but graciously moved us to a four top inside. It was a little cool and the outdoor tables tend to be too dark for us.

They were set up for a table of 15 or so next to our table so we were motivated to promptly order, which we did without rushing. The waiter made a great cocktail suggestion for my wife, and I was delighted with my usual vodka martini...albeit in an unusual glass. The menu had few changes from our last visit, but still maintained the contemporary mexican that they are known for.

My darling wife, S. ordered a tomato, avocado and basil salad which sounded better than it turned out to be. The bits of greens were not as crisp as the should have been, and while the dressing was tasty, there was far to much of it. Her main of salt shrimp was attractively presented with 5 large shrimp that had all of the salt promised plus some. Ok, not great. She gave it a B+.

I've no idea what possessed me but I ordered tempura vegetables to start. Perhaps I was reflecting back to the really great tempura meal we recently had at the Ritz Carlton in Tokyo. This was a poor imitation. I'd suggest they get if off the menu quick. The batter is hard to describe only to say it cooked up into a fairly hard casing for the presumably fresh vegetables inside. There was a tasty dunking sauce that I could never quite place. One expects the food to be of high quality in an establishment of this reputation, but one also expects a high standard in presentation of the dishes. In this case, the tempura pieces were dumped unceremoniously into what appeared to be a cereal bowl. No garnish, not even pretense of arrangement. Very strange. My main of suckling pig was tasty, indeed. Not the most mouth melting I've ever had, but very good. It also was served in a bowl with a small garnish of cilantro and a few slivers of red chili pepper. The small tortillas were served warm and a perfect wrap for the pork. The sauces accompanying were very tasty as well.

Our delightful waiter also went out of his way to provide us with a glass of a wonderful tempranillo blend been which wasn't on the menu. A little pricey, but worth it.

My takeaway is that even the best of restaurants/chefs make menu mistakes and cannot be their best every day. I will give them another chance.

Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

Had lunch at Moxi on our last day in San Miguel. We ate at Pujol earlier this year, so we were excited to try Chef Olvera’s food again. Food was tasty, but way too expensive for what it was. Service was very slow and we experienced something we never thought would happen in a restaurant at this price range. We ordered two glasses of wine, and while our waitress was pouring a taste of the first one, she left our table to go answer the phone. She then proceeded to chat for a good 5 minutes to book a reservation. After that, she welcomed and sat a couple who arrived to eat. In the meantime, our food is getting cold and we don’t have drinks. We had to flag another waitress to pour our wine. Completely unacceptable. Will never go back. If you want fine dining in San Miguel, go to Áperi, it’s fantastic.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

I see the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor but the restaurant was close to our hotel and it had a cool vibe to it. We went with a group of 6 people and received a great table. Service was a bit slow but overall, I think the experience was good. The food was great. The ribeye steak that was ordered was like nothing I have ever seen. It looked more like a filet to me but it had all the flavor of the ribeye without the fat. I ordered the burger and it was done very nicely and the truffle potato cubes were a great side.

I will be back for the ribeye!

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Tremendous reputation here -- fantastic reviews. Our experience was horrific. We had a companion with SEVERE onion allergies, and made this specifically EVIDENT many times while ordering... yet, when the plate of food was delivered to the table the first plate had evident onion in the grilled vegetables ordered as a side... and the second plate had chopped scallions [added as a 'visual' enhancement]... both were sent back, and by the time an edible plate arrived for our partner -- everyone else was finished with their meal. Embarrassing and frustrating for our companion -- RIDICULOUSLY UNACCEPTABLE for a restaurant with such a "stellar" reputation. Can't recommend this place - the wait staff either isn't listening, or the 'prep' staff values "preparation" over a customer's health.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Moxi is a wonderful way to enjoy Mexican cuisine elevated. The ambiance is very calming and during dinner, it is really very elegant without being stuffy at all. As with many of the top places in town, you can get a bit more dressed up but Business casual is more than sufficient.
The chef puts his heart and soul into his dishes and the preparation and I found most of the staff savvy about what was available.
That being said be sure that if you have specific requests the staff actually know what you are talking about. If they know it will be clear and if there is any hesitation make sure you're on the same page. This goes with ordering food as well.

I enjoyed all I have ever eaten there but the prices for some of the vegetarian options are ridiculously expensive. I ordered a dish where the star of the plate only costs about 50 cents and was charged 25 dollars for the meal. It was pretty but barely scratched the surface and was really nothing more than some veggie purees plated well with a small piece of squash on it and some herbs.

I give this place a thumbs up just wanted to mention the few nuances that can change it from a so-so experiance to a good one.