“Incredibly special place”
Review of Gloria's Shambhala

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zipolite
Gloria's Shambhala
Reviewed 1 March 2017

The views and the staff and accommodation and the meditation hill are just a few of the endearing features of Shambhala. The detail in the pathways and adorable buildings speaks of love and attention. You must make this a stay on your journey into Mexicos most southern and small villages.

Room Tip: ask for the hobbit houses ;)
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 October 2016

Probably the best view from a hostel I've ever had. We've met Pablo, a brazilian guy, and chat, very friendly guy fro iowa. Definitely one of the best experience we've had in Mexico, straight on the beach.Amazing!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Luke L
Reviewed 20 August 2015 via mobile

My wife and I had a fantastic stay at Shambhala a few years ago and were excited to return. Sadly Shambhala has faded and I wouldn't recommend staying here. The place is empty and appears to no longer be maintained. The restaurant only offers a limited menu. On arrival we were shown very poor room options despite many better rooms sitting vacant. I'm not sure what is happening at Shambhala but I suggest staying at better options down on the beachfront.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
7  Thank SpokeyDokeys
Reviewed 24 March 2015

I really like Shambhala for various reasons. The views from the restaurant and the rooms are great. Shambhala is situated on the side of a hill just above the west end of the beach and provides a wonderful vantage point to watch the ocean, the entire Zipolite beach, and surfers. There are a variety of rooms ranging in price and design. From shared dorms to very artistically constructed "hobbitish" huts to nice large rooms with private bathrooms. The rooms were clean and had the nicest views of all the places I stayed during my 2 month vacation on the Oaxacan coast. The staff here was always friendly, the food was consistently good and it was my favorite place to enjoy a cold fruit drink while laying in a hammock or sitting at a table while enjoying the beautiful view. Of all the places I visited along the coast of Oaxaca, Shambhala was my favorite. I wish I was there right now.

Room Tip: Ask someone there to show you the different options
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Rand G
Reviewed 6 July 2012

It's dirty, uncomfortable, but the worst part is the terrible service they have, you couldn't pay me to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Pelu_juarez
gottakeepup, Public Relations Manager at Gloria's Shambhala, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2015

We're sorry you had a less than pleasant experience at Shambhala. During your visit we were recovering from Hurrican Carlotta, which struck Playa Zipolite in June of 2012. We continue to recover from the property damage the hurricane brought.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Zipolite
3.3 km away
0.1 km away
La Cabana de Puerto Angel
La Cabana de Puerto Angel
#3 of 7 in Puerto Angel

Been to Gloria's Shambhala? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK