“Sadly faded”
Review of Gloria's Shambhala

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zipolite
Gloria's Shambhala
Reviewed 20 August 2015 via mobile

My wife and I had a fantastic stay at Shambhala a few years ago and were excited to return. Sadly Shambhala has faded and I wouldn't recommend staying here. The place is empty and appears to no longer be maintained. The restaurant only offers a limited menu. On arrival we were shown very poor room options despite many better rooms sitting vacant. I'm not sure what is happening at Shambhala but I suggest staying at better options down on the beachfront.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
8  Thank SpokeyDokeys

Reviewed 24 March 2015

I really like Shambhala for various reasons. The views from the restaurant and the rooms are great. Shambhala is situated on the side of a hill just above the west end of the beach and provides a wonderful vantage point to watch the ocean, the entire Zipolite beach, and surfers. There are a variety of rooms ranging in price and design. From shared dorms to very artistically constructed "hobbitish" huts to nice large rooms with private bathrooms. The rooms were clean and had the nicest views of all the places I stayed during my 2 month vacation on the Oaxacan coast. The staff here was always friendly, the food was consistently good and it was my favorite place to enjoy a cold fruit drink while laying in a hammock or sitting at a table while enjoying the beautiful view. Of all the places I visited along the coast of Oaxaca, Shambhala was my favorite. I wish I was there right now.

Room Tip: Ask someone there to show you the different options
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Rand G
Reviewed 6 July 2012

It's dirty, uncomfortable, but the worst part is the terrible service they have, you couldn't pay me to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Pelu_juarez
gottakeepup, Public Relations Manager at Gloria's Shambhala, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2015

We're sorry you had a less than pleasant experience at Shambhala. During your visit we were recovering from Hurrican Carlotta, which struck Playa Zipolite in June of 2012. We continue to recover from the property damage the hurricane brought.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

We are traveling on motorcycles for 8 months and normally stay in cheap places, but we fell for the location of Shambala and the view over the entire Zipolite beach. We loved the crazy stairs leading to our house, which was at the very top and the amazing view from our balcony.
The beds were clean but not super comfortable and the mosquito net didn't really fit.
The room was not too big, but sinces there was a double bed and an extra single bed, we could use the other bed for our luggage. We paid 500 pesos for the room.
We had breakfast at the restaurant. It wasn't cheap, but it was really good (not included in the price for the room)
The fact that the place is located up on the hill, decreases the noise from the enormous waves and makes it easier to sleep at night.
We really enjoyed it here, and would gladly stay here another time. Nice relaxed atmosphere, and a different experience than what you usually get.

Room Tip: Get the one with the best view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Henriette T
Reviewed 24 December 2010

Shambala is primary a spiritual place where monks from Tibet and people everywhere around the world comes for the Karma celebration on evrery new year`s eve. Gloria went tru so many hurricane recovery during her 38 years there, you can feel the energy walking on the land, every thing is relative for the eye or mind looking at it, every one is a world by itself ,an article about a bed has not a lot of importance for me, you have to know the inside Shambahla to understand.the living , Paulina took 10 years to rebuilt, and she did not need Frank in august 2010 to destroy again a part of Shambahla in Zipolite
Just wanted to restablish heart of Shambhala and it`s creator...Gloria
I`ll be there for the celebration and probably sleep in a hamac, where i fell the best with nature and it`s surrounding.....on the top of the hill at the meditation center .
There is also a place for every bubget from dormitory to bungalow with kitchen.
Hope everyone will gather for celebration.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business