“Family Gymboree”

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Facility is very nice, beautiful rooms, well appointed kitchen, nice furniture as a new hotel should have.

Terrible front desk staff, very lacking in training and knowledge of resort. Kids allowed to play lacrosse in hallways, dogs barking, very much family oriented, loud and crowded. No management available to speak with when requested.

Poor housekeeping, out of date creamer, no restocking of coffee and amenities. Very difficult to call for valet or bell stand as all calls route through the guest request, usually a long wait or no answer, faster to go to the lobby.

Resort fee and mandatory valet fee plus taxes on same adds $40.00 a night to the rate quoted, in addition to sales tax of 13% or so.

If you are seeking 5 stars look up the mountain to Beaver Creek, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2y2r2onot2
JABurrell, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2010

2y2r2onot2,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am sorry that your experience was not as positive as we certainly intend to deliver to every guest. We will certainly utilize your observations in our ongoing training to assure our team is consistently focused on improving the delivery of exemplary service.

I would invite you to contact me directly to further discuss the details of your experience.

Jeffery Burrell, Director of Operations
jburrell@westinriverfrontavon.com

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 1 July 2010

From day one, this was the worst experience my husband and I have ever had at a hotel. We have traveled all over the world and stayed at many different types of properties, but this one take the cake, and not in a good way. When we checked in, they had a huge group of lacrosse players and their families, which were loud, rude, running up and down the halls, playing .lacrosse in every public area inside of the hotel and in the parking garage. We complained, they did absolutely nothing, telling us that they were checking out in a few days. Housekeeping was astonishing. They never refilled our coffee caddy, never replaced toilet paper (we ran out and had to call down to ask for some), they never replaced the dirty glasses in the bathroom, they left us with no washcloths, and never changed the sheets on our bed. When I asked a housekeeper for something, her reply was, "me no speak english." Also, the couches had dried food crusted on the pillows and there were dishes with dried food bits stuck to them. When we called the front desk, it would take forever to talk to a human being, it would continuously roll over. When we finally did speak to someone, they offered no apology and acted as if we were the jerks for asking for anything. I called down to the concierge desk to make a reservation for a restaurant last night, and the woman who answered said that her shift was ending and transfered me to a different concierge. The service level here is the worst I have ever seen as a traveler, the housekeeping is a joke, and when I called the spa to make an appointment, they told me that the professional who handled that service had to leave and they could not garauntee a service for me for the remainder of my stay. I had to go outside of the hotel and spend my money elsewhere. While my husband and I love dogs, it was not fun to have to constantly listen to barking dogs while trying to relax. I would never come back here, nor would I EVER recommend this atrocious property to a friend or family member. Terrible.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Worldtravelette

Worldtravelette,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apology that you did not have the personal and instinctive renewal that we strive to deliver to every guest. Your specific feedback regarding service deficiencies have been addressed with the individual department managers and will continue to be referenced as we train and re-train our staff in the delivery of exemplary service.

I would be welcome additional feedback and would invite you to contact me directly regarding your experience.

Jeffery Burrell, Director of Operations
jburrell@westinriverfrontavon.com

Reviewed 30 June 2010

Things we liked about the Westin Riverfront:
1. Spacious room (2BRsuite).
2. Nice spa with good massages
3. Well appointed kitchen in suite
4. Good food in Avondale restaurant.
5. Nice hot tubs.

Things we didn't like:
1. We were billed twice for restaurant bill; check out clerks could not correct it
2. FEES! $15 daily for parking, $20 nightly "resort fee", 18% plus mystery service fees added to all spa services
3. BEDBUGS
4. Housekeeping propped our door open and left--we came back from a hike to find our room open.
5. Housekeeping did not restock towels, toileteries, or coffee. They did not clean the floors.
6. All calls for information, spa appointments, or service requests are routed through "Service connect" with long waits or no anwer 50% of the time.
7. Concierge service's primary goal is to get you to a timeshare presentation.
8. Front desk lines are long and slow. Problems couldn't be resolved
9. Resort is isolated in AVON, not Beaver Creek. Avon is a community of apartment complexes for resort workers, with few other services.
10. Still working to resolve double billing--accounting dept. only takes a message with a recorded message that they'll call you back. (I'm waiting, but contesting it through my credit card company)
11. Resort is struggling to define it's identity. Lobby was chaos with a wedding party intermingling with youth sports teams, tatooed locals in t-shirts yelling across everyone during their "FAC" drinking, and numerous dogs there with their owners.

Copper Mountain, Beaver Creek (the real Beaver Creek), Vail, Breckinridge, or Keystone have many better places to stay. As a Starwood "preferred" member, I can say this resort has a long way to go.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank Alpinesta_Italiana
JABurrell, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2010

Alpinesta_Italiana,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback to our resort. I was disappointed to read of the service deficiencies you and your family experienced at our facility. What you described is far from what we strive to deliver to every guest and thankfully not the norm. I sincerely apologize that you did not experience the resort like the majority of our guests, who leave having had a great expereince. Your feedback has been addressed with the individual areas reasponsible and will continue to be referenced as we train and re-train our staff in the delivery of exemplary guest service.

Of particular concern to me is your mention of bedbugs. We take this issue very seriously and I can assure you that we take extreme measures to protect our guests, associates, and facility from exposure to these pests. While I do not wish to state you may have experienced insects in your room, I can feel extremely confident that bedbugs were not present. Our resort is sutuated on the banks of the Eagle River, and we are experiencing Trico Fly hatchings - these insects, which are very similar in appearance and behavior to the common gnat, are a vital part of the fragile ecosystem in which we reside. The flies do swarm at dusk and are attracted to light. We have experienced these insects finding their way into our guestrooms and public spaces. We make every effort to inform our guests to mitigate their intrusion, but unfortunately still have some that find their way in. Our aggressive pest management program, in conjunction with our inspection and training processes are intended to assure we remain a bedbug-free facility. While I certainly appreciate your feedback regarding your experience, I hope that your comments regarding your suspicion of the presence of bedbugs were simply referring to the insects I just described.

I would be happy to discuss your comments in detail and invite you to contact me directly. Thank you again for your gift of feedback. I can be reached directly via email at: jburrell@westinriverfrontavon.com.

Jeffery Burrell
Director of Operations, The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa

Reviewed 22 June 2010

Went up to the Vail Valley for a nice weekend retreat and had a 2-bedroom Villa at the Westin Riverfront (Avon, close to Beaver Creek). AMAZING!!!!! Service was incredible and the hotel has a wonderful pool overlooking the mountains. Also, they have an FAC every Friday during the summers where all of the locals hang out, with live music. I would go back again to this resort in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Sc0tt16
kdpryor, Director of Sales at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2010

Sc0tt16,
Thank you for your amazing review! We are thrilled that you had a wonderful experience and shared. Hope to see you at Restaurant Avondale's FAC or the pool again this summer!

Reviewed 18 June 2010

I have stayed at the Westin Riverfront a couple of times and have found it to be amazing.

There is only one thing to complain about and that is that it is a little far from the slopes, however for the hotel I would give that up.

The resort has a pool and two hot tub/jacuzzis, I think that they are both a true gem to this hotel and anyone who stays here; because it is hard to find pools as well maintained and as stunning as these. All the rooms in this hotel are amazing, I personally have stayed in standard rooms and studio suites and both were so shrowded in perfection I would never hesitate to say that they are truly awsome.

The restaurant here, Avondale, had food that made my taste buds go insane at new flavors of food I never even knew existed! If you stay at this hotel you have to go there even though some of there deserts were way to sweet even for me.

Service is also great as I left my season ski pass in my room when we checked out and the head of housekeeping just made a quick call and I got it within minutes.

Overall I think if you get a chance to come here you should definetley try it even if you have a different expirience.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
kdpryor, Director of Sales at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2010

Dear Master-of-Travel, Thank you so much for your fabulous review! We are thrilled that you enjoy the pool, service, accommodations and of course, Restaurant Avondale! We are very flattered by your comments and hope to continue to meet and exceed your expectations!
Safe Travels to you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
1.9 km away
3.0 km away
The Pines Lodge, A RockResort
The Pines Lodge, A RockResort
#5 of 18 in Beaver Creek

Been to Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK