New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Cabanas La Luna

Cabanas La Luna
Ranked #7 of 87 Hotels in Tulum
London, United Kingdom
“A slice of heaven on earth!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

What an amazing place! The scenerary is just unbelievable!
Combined with the friendliest staff I have ever encountered in a Hotel
made this the best holiday in a very long time. They are helpfull, friendly, speak good english
and really do their best to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

The room(we stayed in the marco polo cabana) was like a dream. A unique designed room with perfect sanitary(especially the enormous shower), king size bed and a straight view of the light blue ocean. It was also very clean and different sets of towels were provided for beach and room.

The place was just very organised and everything you expect from cabanas on a mexican beach and more!!! The main manager Luuk(the dutch managing-director) was extremely attentive and good at his job.

I would recommend this place to everyone who is planning to go to Tulum, or toeveryone who is even planning on staying on the beach somewhere in Mexico.

Room Tip: if you are a couple go for one of the small cabanas right on the beach.Dont expect something big but...
1 Thank el a
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Just what we had hoped for. We were looking for the ultimate caribbean experience (white beaches, cristal clear blue water and palm trees) and we found just that at the La Luna cabanas. The room where we stayed was very clean with a fantastic view, big balcony and a great shower. The restaurant has top class food and the people who work there are very friendly and helpful. We couldn´t have been more satisfied with our stay at La Luna. Special thanks to Luuk, the manager, for the kind service!

Room Tip: the rooms facing the ocean have a fantastic view
1 Thank lkooy k
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

When you are looking for the ultimate paradise experience, Cabanas La Luna is exactly what you want. Located directly on the beach, these cabanas ensure a relaxing experience, with all the luxuries you´ll need. These cabanas are run by managers Luuk and Iris, a great dutch couple, that will do anything to make your stay worthwile! The food is absolutely amazing, as well as the drinks. Do not forget to go to the beach at night, where you can see turtles nestling! All together, i really enjoyed staying here and will recommend this fabulous place to everyone going to Tulum.

Nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Oh my goodness! My goal was to have my own cabana directly on the beach, so I could do some writing. I found others (including renting some houses) but then I would've had to cook or go out for good every meal. THIS PLACE IS AMAZING! I was perfect for my needs, but it was so great I wanted ALL my peeps to be there! As a female traveling to Mexico alone (mom freaked out), I was not only welcomed, but made to feel very safe. The manager Luke and his lovely wife knew me by name -as did the rest of the fabulous help. I literally CAN'T say enough good things about La Luna. I will DEFINITELY be back -and I can't say once/yr is going to be enough! Speaking of which, it's way more affordable than most beach locations from the US - and the beach is soooo much prettier. The only water I've experienced comparable was in Hawaii, but the beaches aren't all that great. Here, the water is amazing; the beach is amazing; the staff is SO hospitable and amazing - and the food is to die for! When I arrived they let me know I could leave to eat, but "they always come back." lol - now I see why! I did try most of the other restaurants ranked high on Trip Advisor -and some were okay. But all I can say is - most of those ppl haven't eaten at Las Estrellas. It was FAR (can't say it enough) FAR superior to all of the other restaurants I tried - and it was at my front door! You don't have to carry around money b/c they all know where you are staying and just add it to you bill. Some ppl complained (on Trip Advisor) the restaurant was a little pricey - ha! I ate there at least once - sometimes 3 times/day for a week and my bill (for 1) was only around 200 USD (and that includes about 4 alcoholic drinks/day).

To just get it out of the way, there is no a/c, so if you go in summer you'll be thankful for the fan above your bed (or the extra one you can put at your feet!). BUT, other than that, it was absolutely perfect. I stayed in Robinson Crusoe (sp?) and it was good. A queen bed and a little cramped if there's a bunch of you. Then I stayed in Casa Blanca - phenomenal! SO much more room. I was a little freaked out before I went b/c someone mentioned seeing a spider - thank God - no spiders. I did have 1 salamander that kept coming in my 1st room, but finally I decided instead of him in my room it was actually me in his space - I felt much better. There were a few mosquitos after the rain, but not at all a big deal.

Lastly, I walked up and down the beach a mile each way. I saw what other accommodations had for their occupants. Incomparable. Other than the warm temperatures, I have no "cons" to this place. I work in the OR in the US, so I'm used to 55 degrees F -very cold. This was an adjustment. I actually love this staff. Love that there are security guards all the time (not that I ever felt like I needed them) but - still - nice to know they were there. Guamy, Oscar, Seesar (no idea how to spell that one) - were all the BEST! I can't wait to come back here. IMHO, you'd be crazy not to try this if you're coming to this area. Oh - and there's free wifi, 24 hr electricity and hot water. You can get this somewhere else, but for double the money - and not NEARLY as quaint. Not a resort. But privacy and peacefulness w/fabulous food at your fingertips -perfection as far as I'm concerned.

Room Tip: Their website does a good job explaining the rooms. If you can afford it - I preferred the extra spa...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank afraiser
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

After an unpleasant stay at a hotel in Playa and a long day trip to Coba, we were grateful to arrive at La Luna for the second part of our honeymoon.

Checking in was a breeze and Luke at the front desk was great throughout our whole stay. He was very friendly and answered any questions we had, giving us lots of tips and suggestions of where to visit throughout our trip.

We stayed in Christopher Columbus for three nights and were delighted with our cabana. The breeze from the ocean was so calming and going to sleep every night was nice, listening to the waves. However, both my husband and I found the bed to be very uncomfortable, and he can sleep anywhere. Each night, I would wake up in the middle of the night, hoping for daylight to come just so that I could get out of the bed! If we are lucky enough to come back, we would book a different cabana. (We would also probably try not to come in the summer time. Even with mosquito repellent sprays, lotions, mosquito nets, and the repellent they supply for you to burn, we were horrible bitten all three nights of our stay in our cabana or at dinner.)

I loved all the details in decorating the cabana. Sometimes it was difficult to adjust the temperature in the shower, but really, thats to be expected at a place like this. The large supply of drinking water in each room was very much appreciated, and the small fan was very powerful and provided a great breeze. The outside of the cabana was beautiful. I lived in that hammock! I had a lot of fun taking too many photos of all the various lizards that would visit.

The continental breakfast is delivered to your room every day and sitting on the wooden stump chairs was so romantic and relaxing. One thing though, the coffee is absolutely terrible. (I didn't realize that there was an option to pay more for espresso, but by all means, do that!)

The cabanas are cleaned daily, and extremely thoroughly, so give the maids plenty of time to finish. One day I saw a woman cleaning the outside of the window frame. They do a great job.

Las Estrellas restaurant was very good and not too horribly expensive compared to other restaurants around. We had a lunch and dinner there and both were delicious, some of my favorite meals during our trip.

The beach is amazing. Absolutely stunning. The water was clear, fairly warm, the sand was soft, and even though there are other cabanas/hostels next door, it feels very private. Walking down the beach at 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning was nice, not too many people out and you got to see lots of dogs enjoying the water. :) A couple of times while on the beach beds, we would be approached by people selling their crafts, but not too often. (And definitely nothing compared to where we had just been in Playa! Ugh!) It never feels crowded. There was a lot of seaweed in the water and on the beach before it is cleaned every morning, but the employees mostly do a good job of getting rid of it. I think there was extra there during our stay due to some storms. I did see one worker throwing the seaweed right back into the water in front of La Luna, I'm pretty sure that that is not their policy as it would make the ocean even more congested with it!

Pros: Beach, atmosphere, restaurant, friendliness of staff
Cons: (not enough to detract!) uncomfortable bed, bad coffee

We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Avoid Columbus, bed was very uncomfortable.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple