All reviews room called ocean side small cove lounge chairs sea weed boutique hotel plenty of hot water laid back waves beach eco rocks shutters ruins jungle elizabeth candles
Reviewed 19 April 2016 via mobile

If you are looking for a low key, relaxing, clean, no fuss place, right on the beach look no further. Delicious breakfast included in the price. Tons of places to eat and drink within walking distance. If you like star gazing check out their cliff top platform after dark.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2016

We loved our stay at Posada del Sol -- it really made for the best experience in Tulum. Location is GREAT. Room felt very fresh (and was cleaned daily!). Everyone on site was so helpful and friendly. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: great beach, perfect location
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2016

Booked 9 nights in a two bedroom suite @ around $220usd per night. We left after two nights, as soon as we found an alternative. The room has not a single place to sit or anywhere to store clothes except on the floor. The room is tiny shabby and extremely dark, as in no lights. There is a complete lack of privacy. Ground floor, double bed and bathroom, only very partially separated so ablutions audible to all. Up some very dark stairs to a sort of mezzanine, tiny. with a very small double bed. The hotel claim only solar power available in the area as an excuse for the poor light and not being able to accommodate things like an iron. This is not the case most hotels in the area have normal power, just too cheap to provide, infact everything about this hotel is cheap. Situated with a shared wall of a building site that has obviously been going a good while and not finishing soon, one is wakened around 07.30 by the industrial drilling and hammering literally a couple of meters from the pillow. This hideous racket continues until around six in the evening. Lights out at 10pm no security, no overnight staff and darkness. The hotel is way overdue for a makeover, shabby and rundown and ridiculously over priced. Far better available in the area. The web description is utter fiction, suite? don't think so. Avoid!

Stayed: March 2016
Reviewed 1 March 2016

We just got back from a one week stay at La Posada del Sol.

A few important things to note:

1) The hotel does NOT have fresh water. The shower and the sink are all salt water so you will be taking salty baths and brushing your teeth with salty water. This is something I was really concerned about, but learned to live with it while I was there. It did make my hair super voluminous but also very dry and we combated the skin dryness by using a lot of lotion after showering. Because we spent so much of our time not caring about being dressed up, it was fine to look a bit unkempt for the week. After a couple of showers, you start to get used to it.

2) The room on the beach side have one electric outlet which only powers small devices (your cell phone, laptop, bluetooth speakers, a small curling iron, etc.). You can not plug in a hair dryer or anything potent and there is only one outlet per room. I really thought this was going to be an issue, but again with the sunny weather and the beach right outside, I wasn't interested in blowing dry my hair or doing much of anything. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Other things:
We had the Coral room which is at the very back right on the sand facing the water. It was absolutely stunning to wake up to views of the ocean and to sleep all night to the sound of crashing waves. I have never slept to peacefully. However, sometimes the waves are very strong and it sounds like you're in the apocalypse or a major monsoon. I happened to love it.

The bed was king sized and super comfy.

We never used the mosquito net and slept with the windows open for the cool ocean breeze. We were never, ever, ever hot. However, one night there was a thunderstorm and the mosquitoes ate us alive as we slept. We woke up to 40+ bites on each of us and spent 2 days scratching and uncomfortable. Pack bug spray and use the citronella candles they provide for the rooms!

Breakfast is actually pretty good. I'm not a breakfast person normally, so for me it was much more than I usually eat. We had scrambled eggs, toast, fruit, granola, and pancakes on different days.

Right across the road there is a delicious restaurant called Tunich. You MUST eat the fish tacos and the shrimp tacos from there. I am craving them just from writing this review. Delicious!

All in, we had a good stay in Posada del Sol. I thought I would freak out and miss all the "normal" amenities, but I was much more relaxed and relived to not deal with any of that stuff. I didn't miss the blow dryer or curling iron - and I got okay with the salty baths.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Esther T
Reviewed 26 February 2016

La Posada del Sol is a charming hotel on an idyllic, though short-ish, stretch of beach; many cute shops, bars, and (conveniently) a small mini-mart are within short walking distance. We were pleased with our room's cleanliness and with the included breakfast (alternating between fresh fruit/yogurt and good scrambled eggs), which the staff were happy to serve us outside. Tanja (manager) and Clara (in the adorable boutique downstairs), along with the other boutique staff, were amazingly sweet and helpful all week.

The main caveat: as other reviewers have mentioned, there is another hotel being constructed just inches away from PdS, on the south side. Honestly the noise didn't bother us much; those guys hardly ever used power tools during our stay, so it was mostly hammering and chiseling by hand. In fact, it was almost quaint -- add the wind and waves, and we hardly noticed it after the first day. The real problem we had with the construction was unique to our room, Luna, which has a wonderful private roof deck overlooking the beach. Well, it wasn't private during our stay: from 6:30am-6pm everyday, we essentially shared the roof (separated by 2 ft wall) with a dozen construction workers. They were not rude or disrespectful, but my fiancee still didn't feel comfortable doing yoga out there first thing in the morning, which had been the plan all along.

I should say that we still enjoyed the roof deck. It just wasn't private, as advertised. Of course, the presence of the construction is something PdS has no control over, though a fence would probably help. I explained the situation to Tanja and she was very understanding and accommodating; ultimately she was able to offer us a solution that we found very fair.

Bottom line: We had a great experience here, our first in Tulum. PdS is on a beautiful beach with ample umbrellas and lounge chairs, to which staff from the bar next door will bring you coconuts, tacos, and cocktails. It’s hard to complain too much, right? Not sure when the construction will finish up, but I'd check with PdS about its status and the impact it might have on your room — Luna especially. If the sound of hammers and chisels during the day is going to bother you, I’d recommend considering a room on the jungle side of the hotel, at least for the next couple of months. The big question is, what will change once the new hotel is built? It doesn't appear that it will take any beach space away from PdS, but does look like it will be a bit taller. Hopefully PdS will update the photos on their website and keep potential guests informed as the final picture becomes more clear.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple