5,590 results
All reviews seaside grill entertainment team world cafe coco cafe french restaurant kids club preferred club el patio smoothie bar fire show wine cellar activity pool explorers club a la carte restaurants sugar reef bar foam party vacation club
Reviewed 31 January 2017

We stayed at Dreams Tulum from 12/28/16 to 1/4/17. This was our second time to Mexico so we kind of knew what to expect as far as food, lodging, etc. based on what we paid for our trip.

First, the accommodations were very good. The rooms are big spacious and the bed is comfortable. We were put in one of the rooms furthest from the beach (2224, it's near the spa) but it was still a very short walk to go from our room to the beach and restaurants. Each room has a balcony and where we were, each balcony also had a hammock, which my husband used every afternoon for a quick siesta before dinner.

Second, the food. We really liked the food here. There are a lot of options. There is of course a buffet for breakfast, lunch or dinner but we only used it when we were late or in a hurry. The buffet has just about everything. For breakfast there is made to order eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, bread, etc. I had dinner there only once, but the dinner was something that was made especially for our party. On New Years Eve, we didn't want to pay extra for a special dinner they were doing that evening on the plaza. So someone from our group who is a preferred member talked to the concierge, They sat us separately from everyone else and served us steaks, grilled chicken, seafood, pasta... it was absolutely delicious! For most of our stay, we tried a different restaurant every night. On our first evening, when it was just our family (3 other families were joining us later in the week), we did the Brazilian dinner by the pool. It was very romantic as it was right under the stars with the sea on one side and the pool right in front of us, I have to say all the dishes we had there were delicious, and you could eat as much as you want. When we were joined by our friends, we usually ate by 7 PM at one of the specialty restaurants and we didn't have any trouble getting a table (we had 8 adults, 9 kids ranging in age from 12-24). We did the Asian, Italian, and French restaurants. Just a word of advice that the men should order multiple appetizers besides their main meal since the portions are on the small side. Again, the food was delicious, although I was disappointed with the filet mignon at the French. I found, overall, that the seafood and chicken dishes were very good. My husband, daughters, and I loved the seafood for lunch at the Seaside Grill. The Seaside Grill was probably my favorite because of its location: it was right by the water! My son loved the hamburgers at the Poolside grill. We also frequented Coco Bar for the specialty coffees and cookies between lunch and dinner....or sometimes after dinner.

The beach.... absolutely beautiful. The sand is soft and the water is that beautiful torquise/green/blue of the Caribbean. Dreams is the only resort for miles so we talk long walks (going south), encountering just a handful of people along the way. We usually sat a little north of the volleyball net, with the bocce and horseshoe pit right in front of us. Just make sure that if you swim in the ocean, stay at the part that has the buoys because of the coral that is there.

The entertainment: of course there is the Caribbean and the 2 pools if you wanted to swim. On the beach there was a volleyball net set up, which many of the people in our party took advantage of. We also played bocce and horseshoes. Every afternoon at 4 PM I did Zumba. There was always something going on in the main pool and on our last day, I actually did one of the water exercises, which I wish I had done everyday because it was so much fun! In the evenings, there was always music and dancing at the Sugar Bar. After 11 PM, there was a DJ, and while the music was very good, there was hardly anyone there!

I would recommend this resort for families with young kids. I feel that while my children (ages 16-22) had fun during the day and early evening, there was not much to do after 10 PM.

Pros - great beach, good food, staff is really attentive (Ivan at the beach who brought us pina coladas as soon as he saw us) and Christian and the entertainment staff who were at the beach and Sugar bar in the evening are superb employees

Cons - more than an hour ride from airport, not much going on after 10 PM, sometimes had to walk around in order to find a chair to sit on at the beach

And although they say no tipping, we always left a few dollars at every table, and tipped at the end of the day at the beach to the person who brought our drinks all day.

Room Tip: 2224 if you like to be halfway between the beach and the spa/gym. It's on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank shelley d
E-ConciergeDRETU, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2017

Dear shelley d

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your overview about your stay with us. All guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we readily welcome both positive and constructive comments.

We hope to see you again soon and have the pleasure and honor to welcome you again.

Reviewed 31 January 2017

Upon arrival we upgraded to a preferred club swim up suite. At first I wasn't sure I was 'down' with the swim up, but it ended up being really great. I swam around the "moat" first thing every morning and after a day on the beach we would lounge in the pool and have drinks served to us. Super fun!

There are a couple of things I didn't love about the resort and many that I did. I'll start with the bad. The buildings are a little world-weary. They could use a refresh and a paint job, especially the exterior. Same with the decor in the fancy restaurants. Advice for the Italian restaurant: Please tear down those heavy formal curtains (looks like a funeral home), dim the lights and paint the place a white. I also didn't love the tricks and manipulations to make us attend a 90-minute information session right from the check in, before we even got to go to our rooms. They also try to sell you spa services (very expensive), fancy dinner on the beach upgrades etc. Finally the ocean swimming area is quite small. Tons of beach but the reef means that there is only a small swimming area - not a huge deal.

Now the great stuff. The food everywhere was really good...surprisingly good! Except for the Sea Side Grill, we were happy with all of our meals. We loved the fact that there were so many a la carte restaurants all serving good food. And we are pretty picky! We never once ate at a buffet for dinner.

Next, the service is wonderful. Manny took care of us at the preferred beach area and he is a lovely guy. We did not have a single complaint about the service. They really get it.

Finally, how nice and rare is it to walk for miles on a beach and not see any civilization?Jungle on one side, ocean on the other - that was the best!

Room Tip: Didn't really see any other rooms but would not have wanted to be on the second floor looking down at us lucky swimmers.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Lori C

Reviewed 31 January 2017

This resort is beautiful. Grounds are well maintained and the size is just right. Easy enough to get around but no so small that you feel on top of others. They have plenty to offer any type of traveler. Gustavo and the entertainment staff do an excellent job of providing you with options but won't annoy you if you want to just sit quietly. They made the trip a lot of fun! Adrian is an excellent Zumba instructor and he also helped me practice a little Spanish. My husband and I spend most of our time by the quite pool where Benito kept us hydrated. By mid-week he even knew our drink of choice. The food everywhere is delicious. Our favorites were Portofino (Italian) and the Sushi bar. We both had spa services. Our massages were some of the best we've ever had. Rosely and Jeremi are awesome. You can't go wrong with this resort! All around a great place to vacation!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Kris K

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your review on TripAdvisor and for choosing us as your holiday’s destination.

We are pleased to hear that you had an awesome vacation with us, and were highly satisfied with the most professional service delivered by our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sincerely.

Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

ROOM: So we had a week at Dreams Tulum. We had a preferred room. At check in it was a king with no place for our 12 year old to sleep. We requested and made sure at reservation time that we needed two queens. They said it was not for that. But we all piled into the king bed and it was very comfortable to say the least. The next day they moved us into a double queen. The queens are more like full-size instead of queen. But the room had the pool just off our patio and it was lots of fun and relaxing after a long day of sun sand and salt. They would bring us drinks to our private little corner of the pool that rounded around the rooms. So it was kind of private but not totally. Would stay in that kind room again.

FOOD: the food at the WORLD CAFE not so good don't bother. We did like the ITALIAN PORTOFINO we recommend the risotto and the spicy pasta it's very simple but it's good. The steak was ok but my husband liked the chicken. But like us he liked the pasta best. We did MEXICAN and not real impressed by that, yes I know you're probably as shocked as I am to hear that. If you go get the meat appetizer it's plenty of food for one person as a dinner I did like that. The SEA SIDE GRILL was good for lunch and dinner. If you like Ceviche well that's not the place to get it. Its more like food processor cucumbers in a goop. I love Ceviche and this was not it. But the ribs and mash potatoes are really good. Looks like it won't be much but it was. I even shared with a little local kitty that came shopping for dinner. It's open air so very relaxing. HIMITSU ASIAN: We liked it. We had pork loin for dinner and tempura salmon as appetizer. My daughter and I had the lettuce wraps and liked them so much we ordered three more and then tried not to make Eye contact with the man cause we were embarrassed but we were really hungry and they were really good. I had the chop Suey and she had the Yakitori we both liked it. Not loving but liked. The sushi menu didn't add up to much so we choose to not eat there. Ok all in all food not what your going there for but it's ok and you can make it work. Tulum is not an option to go off to for dinner. It's a dusty run down town and had 6 or 8 cops with machine guns running up and down the streets in trucks in the middle of the day. Didn't get the feeling it was a real safe place to hang out at night. Especially no reason with a child.
POOLS: there is 2 one is for parties and one is for relaxing and used for learning to scuba. Swim bar is nice and the people running around the beach to bring you drinks was great. Drinks were always amazing. Thank you Miguel and his buddy sorry about the name and Guadalupe for such great attention and smiles. Love when they would hear the music and break out dancing. Oh the chairs are comfortable and my daughter loved loved the hammocks.
Pictures they take are really jacked up prices and I now regret getting them. I could have done a few of our own. But got lazy and let them take over. It was so easy. So lots of the same poses done every night. My bad. Lol.
The ride to the resort will take you about 1:45 maybe 2 hours if no traffic issues. When you go home they give us a pick up time of 12:05 but the driver was sweating a bit because that should have been a pic up of 11 or 11:30 in case of problems backup and that kind of issue. So a guide for you, our flight left at 3:30 and we should have been picked up at 11 or 11:30 per driver so make that happen at reservation time. Keep the paper they tear off of your immigration papers that you filled out on the plan or on your way in. YOU WILL NEED THE PART THEY HAND BACK TO YOU IN ORDER TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY. Just leave it in your pass port book. Anyway we made it all work and more shopping inside the airport while you wait. Bubba Gumps and johnny Rockets and many more. We went to Xcaret was fun 20 years ago but was disappointing this time. Don't waste your money. BUT XEL-Ha was AMAZING worth every penny every second. Food not great but drinks were and it was all you could eat and drink. But honestly if you find time to tear yourself away from all that there is to do I'm not sure what to say. The snorkeling the river and all over the bay was absolutely amazing. It was our 12 year olds first time to snorkel and she now has gone to snuba too and ready to move on to scuba. The water was Beautiful and clear and clean and so many fish and colors to see. I didn't like tubing the river we liked snorkeling it. They have locked bags to take your stuff you don't want back down to were you do want it. Plenty of chairs tables little hiding spots with palm trees with views sand and chairs to be found. Go to the left soon as you get in. You will find several along the waters edge. We loved it so much we spent our last 2 days there and didn't regret it a bit.
Not a lot of shopping at the dreams and what does come in is extremely overpriced go into Tulum in the am and do some shopping not a ton to find but you'll find a few things. We found better things better quality and better choices better prices shockingly at Xel-Ha. I got all my gifts first in one store that I feel in love with. My husband was pleased he didn't have to shop on vacation. I personally don't understand that but no biggie I was totally tickled with it all. So all in all would we go back maybe. If you want to go a bit farther out then yes and if you want a short trip with all the fun you came for at a snap
Xel-Ha well then yes for sure. If you're going plan on doing 2 days at the park we found out after the fact you can buy a 2 day and get the 2nd day for 50% OFF! They have a picture package also at Xel-Ha
BUY IT BUY IT !!!!!! It's $71.00 but they have cameras everywhere. Anyway hope this helps you make a choice do try to get the room with the swim out pool it made it very very nice and swinging on the patio hammock at then end of the day with a fresh drink in my hand was a great way to end my night. Happy travels!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Z1622TDelizabethc

Dear Z1622TDelizabethc

On behalf of the entire staff of Dreams Tulum & Spa we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review, we appreciate you highlighted the positive aspects of your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review, we appreciate you highlighted the positive aspects of your stay.

We very much appreciate your constructive feedback that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We will definitely take them into account.

We really hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

An amazing resort! We travelled as 2 families with children aged 9, 10 & 13. Food is one of the best I've enjoyed at an AI resort. The teen club has PS4's and ping-pong, but kids club Best suited to children age 5 or so. Daily Family fun activities on the beach, and even a foam party in the pool. Great activity staff! Lots of special outdoor dinners as well as little shows. Resort is 1.45hrs from Cancun but then only five minutes from the ruins or Casa Centre so it's great! Large rooms with living room area, DVD player and separate tub/ shower, comfortable double beds (queens would've been ideal though). A great stay in Tulum!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
E-ConciergeDRETU, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2017

Dear Farl_Ottawa.

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent stay at Dreams Tulum with us and all the Tripadvisor community.

We really appreciate your kind comments and it makes us happy to know that we exceeded your expectations and you and your family had a wonderful time here with us.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again in a near future.