7 people are viewing this hotel
Priceline$520
Hotels.com$593
Agoda.com$614
1,307 results
All reviews beach club private pool beach front beautiful beach wedding coordinator ceviche our honeymoon beach service laid back food and drinks white sand hip hotel mexico paradise oscar waitstaff candles
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 April 2006

We were expecting alot and were not dissapointed! Warm and friendly staff, generally good food, wonderful beach and our rooms were very nice. We reserved rooms 1 and 2 right on the beach. Though close to the pool and restaurant we did not have any problem with noise, which was a concern based on other T A reviews. My wife and I, my 17 year old daughter and our friend all regretted having to leave and cannot wait to return. Important to note is that there were a number of families with young children staying at Ana Y Jose during our visit. They all seemed to have a great time. True the food could have been more consistent but given the charm of an open air restaurant where you can dine three times a day (or none, if you like, Ana Y Jose in not all inclusive) your bare feet kneading the sand, I'd call it a wash. There is excellent food in the Tulum area (Zamas) so I would not let this minus deter you. If you are want Cancun, Tulum is not for you. If you want a magical vacation try Ana Y Jose Charming Hotel and Spa.

Date of stay: March 2006
4  Thank TravelinHomebodies
Reviewed 18 March 2006

The service and atmosphere is great, but the food is awful. They had great authentic mexican dishes here 5-6 years ago, and I was looking forward to eating here again when I returned in March 2006.

Unfortunatley, they have 'dumbed down' the food is to something they think 'gringos' will enjoy as mexican food. The ceviche was made with quality fish, but they added dry oregano, which totally overwhelmed the delicate flavor of the fish. They didn't have corn tortillas, a staple in any real mexican restaurant. The bread sticks they served intead were stale. The Arrachera Steak was bland and watery, the accomanying Rajas were just grilled green peppers... not chilies. Plus, the Chiles Rellenos was made with a green bell pepper, and the breading tasted like old frying oil. Both the mixed fruit juice smoothie and the margarita were too sugary. The tortilla soup was one thing that was still halfway decent, but not great. I have had more authentic Mexican food here in NYC.

Overall, there are lots of better, cheaper restaurants just a walk down the beach.

Date of stay: March 2006
12  Thank nytotropics
Reviewed 28 February 2006

I visited Ana y Jose last month for a wedding of 25 guests. The location of the hotel and restaurant are beautiful. It has the potential to be the perfect wedding spot. However, as a member of the wedding party, I was disappointed to find that the musicians had set up but were nowhere to be found to play as scheduled for our procession. And there was no
coordinator to be found to get the music in order or give us any direction. The groom told the usher that there was no music. The usher then told the officiant. The officiant proceeded up the beach and toward the restrooms. I was with him as we spotted one of the musicians coming out of the bathroom with a beer in his hand. We started the wedding late without any direction or guidance from a coordinator - which threw everything and everyone off needlessly and stressfully.

The beach is beautiful and the setting was perfect. However, we could not hear the officiant because of ocean. I understand that the bride and groom had been told that a microphone wasn't necessary because of the small size of our group- but that definitely was not true.

The musicians started 15 minutes late and then without rhyme or reason began playing during one of the readings- which was not wanted. It took 3 of us motioning to them to stop before they finally stopped playing.

The waitstaff was very good, the food good but not the best we'd experienced in Tulum, the desserts were disappointing- the pineapple flambé was more a slice of pineapple than a dessert with no ice cream as included on the menu. A traveling solo guitarist played in the restaurant who was very good and appreciated as well as a roving band of mariachis. The mariachis had been generously tipped and played several songs then aggressively began to shake us down for additional tips which made for an unpleasant time in the restaurant and I sought out the management to intervene.

Ana y Jose has the natural location going for it, but as a former bride, I was very disappointed with the amount of attention paid to this wedding. It was a very confusing and unsettling experience. I understand that things go wrong at weddings-but this was a little much. Ana Y Jose should have done a better job to provide a more desirable wedding experience.

10  Thank Roam212
Reviewed 24 February 2006

My wife and I stayed at Ana Y Jose for 4 nights in February for a friend's wedding. We had a fantastic time and were pleasantly surprised to find our room reminded us of a beautiful resort we stayed at in Belize the year before. The staff was friendly, the atmosphere was relaxed, grounds were well manicured, and ocean with great beach just a short walk away from our room. We ate at the restaurant a few times and found breakfast to be the best bet. Otherwise the food was good...nothing to complain about, it just wasn't incredibly delicious and typical western prices. I would recommend Ana Y Jose if you're looking for a relaxing place to unwind and you're not on a shoestring budget.

4  Thank Departure650
Reviewed 22 February 2006

I spent 5 nights at the Ana Y Jose hotel and spa. I was there with a group for a wedding. I really enjoyed my stay. The water is BEAUTIFUL, the staff could not have been nicer, and the food was excellent.

2  Thank Destination36290