“The Perfect Tulum Vibe”

Ranked #51 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
Charleston, South Carolina
“The Perfect Tulum Vibe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I combed the reviews and forums on Trip Advisor for a long time trying to pick the perfect place for our Tulum getaway and I'm patting myself on the back because I nailed it!! Villa Las Estreallas is the perfect combination of rustic and chic with uber-comfortable beds and porch hammocks. However, what can't be captured in all the beautiful photos is the VIBE. Think flowing white curtains, lounge-music, a mojito in hand...well, you get the picture. Go ahead and book VLE - you won't be disappointed! We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

My partner and I took a chance on this property for a week from 07-14 January and WOW are we glad we did. The property is even more lush and stunning than the pictures on here show. The method of reserving a room on Paypal seems a bit subject at first, but rest assured that it is merely an indicator with how personally this place is run and managed.
Jamie, the day manager is more than just that. She is your sister and best friend for the week if you so wish... Her passion for hospitality is obvious and she will bend over backwards to make sure everything is special and perfect. The owner of the property keeps himself at a bit of a distance from the guests and the evening manager was still a bit new but easily relaxed by the end of the week.
The entire "house" has only 6 rooms, all with private balcony's and direct views of the sea. Each room is remarkabely clean and draped in white, flowing linen. Rooms 3-6 are upstairs with palapa style ceilings which add to the character. There is no power grid on the entire beach, so pack a few small candles for those moments where the generator lapses and romance takes over. Don't fret, those lapses in power don't last long and it hardly seems to take away from the vibe of the restaurant downstairs.
Mornings are met with complimentary breakfast consisting of a substantial tropical fruit platter, warm croissants and bread, juices and coffee. The menu for lunch and dinner are outstanding and varied so you can't possibly get bored. The chef has serious skills and don't be surprised to find visitors coming from the other hotels for some of the best food on the beach.
The restaurant and bar staff (I'm sorry I forgot their names) are very friendly and engaging. Tequila and Polo are the resident Golden Retriever and Yellow Lab and are the perfect embassadors.
There are some beautiful hotels up and down the beach, so you can't go wrong in most places but if it's any indication, we will be staying here again on our next stay.

Thank you VLE!!!

Jeff & Brian

Room Tip: All rooms are great but 3-6 are upstairs with 3 and 6 being on the corner and a little bit more priv...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff K
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Everyone -- beginning with Jamie the day manager is so welcoming and friendly. I only wish I could speak Spanish to communicate with all of the lovely employees here. I stayed one night -- Jan 28th when I decided to extend my stay in Tulum after a weeklong yoga retreat at Maya Tulum. I had room 3 on the second floor which was lovely with an oceanfront balcony complete with hammock. It is a large room with a very pretty bathroom and comfortable bed. I only wish I could have stayed longer. My ONLY suggestion for improvement is to provide a way to block the light at the top of the stairs which shines into the glass block panel next to the door. I'm NOT generally sensitive to light but the bed location made this light annoying when trying to sleep.

As for food: the ceviche is to die for and the breakfast is a very generous plate of fruit and bread with fresh squeezed juice. Coffee is not available until 8 am but the night manager brewed me a cup of expresso as I am a very early riser on vacation. It was great to enjoy it after a long sunrise beach walk.

Loved my stay at the Villa of the Stars and a highlight of my Tulum trip.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank BIbound
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

My fiancé and I stayed at Villa las Estrellas from December 26, 2011 – January 2, 2012. We had an amazing time and were very impressed and happy with our stay. The hotel is located on a beautiful stretch of beach, that isn’t overly crowded. All the hotel rooms and their balconies overlook the beach. Waking up in the morning and being able to see the sun rising over the ocean without getting out of bed was great. The hotel was kept very clean and felt very safe. Jamie, the hotel’s daytime manager, was wonderful. She would greet us every morning with a huge smile and help us with whatever we needed throughout the day.

The one issue that we had with the hotel occurred when we were making reservations earlier in the year. It was very difficult to get in touch with the hotel directly. We didn’t get a response from them via email, and when we tried to call we couldn’t reach anyone who spoke English, so we ended up having to book the hotel through a travel agent. That being said, we are very happy that we persisted, as everything else about the hotel was fabulous.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TheBrownsToronto
Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I stayed at Villa Las Estrellas for 4 nights in early May. The hotel is beautiful, with lovely decor. It really stands out as light and bright compared to the darker cabana's along the beach. Tulum itself is magical, with a beach that stetches on for days and the most beautiful ocean I've ever seen. I loved going on long runs and walks along the water. If you love seafood, the restaurant is perfect. Unfortunately, my husband and I are not big seafood fans (shameful, I know), so we preferred the restaurant at LaZebra and also had a delicious lunch at Mezzanine. The food in Tulum was generally fantastic. VLE serves the most amazing fruit platter at breakfast, and the view just can't be beat. Tulum is one of the most special places I've ever been, and it's hard to put the magic of the place into words.

Tip: There is a cenote across the street from the hotel. We somehow missed this until we were about to leave. We did take one day trip Edenture Tours that allowed us to zipline line, cliff jump, swim with a turtle in Akumal Bay, and swim in a cenote. I can't recommend this tour enough. Tulum and the Riviera Maya offer a wealth of natural beauty.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple