“Gourmet breakfast with a taste of France”
Review of Gypsea Market

Gypsea Market
Ranked #354 of 652 Restaurants in Tulum
Reviewed 23 January 2021 via mobile

Gourmet breakfast with a taste of France
It’s an amazing experience I had from Chloe who hosted us a great Brunch on Airbnb
The food was really yummy
Fresh baked French bread imported from France .
Philip was he owner , of this lovely restaurant/store called Gypsy Market right in The Town of Tulum .
It’s a hiding Gem .
I loved my black beans and all the yummy imported breads .
Thank you for this wonderful experience

Date of visit: January 2021
Write a reviewReviews (17)

Reviewed 14 January 2021 via mobile

The market is amazing and super vegan friendly but the staff is the slowest ever and not properly trained as they should being an hyper American European store.
The restaurant is unstable, I went a couple of times and one time the food was ok and the other was terrible. It has a lot of potential and they should train their staff better. Their bakery is truly amazing and I love their baguettes.

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 4 November 2020

We were really excited to find this beautiful Supermarket in downtown Tulum! They have a great selection of organic food and a nice restaurant/juice bar in the back where the service is a bit slow but the menu has some very tasty and healthy choices.

Their bread is baked on-site and it's beautifully displayed. They are very diligent with the new safety guidelines and the staff is very friendly.

Gypsea Market has become our go-to grocery shop every time we are in town.

Date of visit: October 2020
1  Thank zipcodemexico
Reviewed 24 July 2020

I went to 5 Ave. I didn't know vegan is so expensive. But they have outside cafe, open little late. Other cafe close at 6PM. So kind of nice. Cozy space. I ate fish taco. 3 pieces for 190 peso. But it was good. Fish taco at Centro I spent 99 peso for one. So price is fear at Tulum. Better.

Date of visit: July 2020
1  Thank ichikawa2016
Reviewed 4 May 2020

Tourists and residents of Tulum, beware of this establishment. Living in Tulum for 4 years and counting, I had the worst experience customer service-wise at this store. This place does not welcome shoppers and it does not treat them as such. And the worst part, it was that it came from the very owner of the place (the French guy). Three weeks ago, I had some guests in my house, and I went to Gypsea Market get couple of beers and a bottle of wine. Knowing that this store is an over-priced tourist scheme that charges everything double to tripple, I still went there because the gas station was further down the road, and I did not want to keep my house guests waiting. So, I grabbed about eight Victoria beers and a bottle of white wine. I went to the counter and paid with the card. Then, I asked the owner (the French guy) for a plastic bag.
He said : "No, we don't give plastic bags, they are five pesos."
I have offered a hundred dollar bill to pay for the plastic bag, and he refused because he did not want to change this bill.
Then I have asked him if I can have a plastic bag to put my beers and wine, and bring five pesos tomorrow, because I was on my motorcycle and there was no way for me to carry them on my scooter without a bag.
He said in French accented Spanish: "All the people say the same thing as you, and they never pay five pesos."
Okay then, then I demanded the refund, because I couldn't carry the bottles without a bag, I had no choice but to go to the gas station.
Then He said rudely in annoyed voice: "I can not refund you, because I have just charged your card, this is not possible!"
Then, I have realized that there is some kind of problem of narcissistic attitude with this person. I did not understand why he would not give me a bag to safely take out my merchandise. I tried to grab bottles with my hands, it was kind of sloppy trying to hug all of them. I carefully walked towards the exit and the owner said: "Come back tomorrow, and maybe we will see", meaning he might give me a bag tomorrow.
I had offered all the options, to ask for a bag, to pay for the bag with $100 bill, to get the refund on my card, and he turned all the options down. He left me with no choice, but to walk out with the bottles in my hands. Eight bottles of beer and a bottle of wine. I had put all the bottles down on the scooter floor, holding them loosely between my legs. As soon as I turned my scooter on and crossed the gravel of the parking lot, I stepped on the main street, and the three bottles fell of the motorcycle, splintered on the highway. I had to put down all the bottles on the side of the road, so I could clean up the glass from the main road.
I do not understand this man's attitude. Some Tulum locals told me the same about him, that he is a rude, condescending narcissist. If he does not want to provide the means for his customers to take out the merchandise safely from his store, he does not deserve to own and run the business. Customer service and customer satisfaction are the most important things. If you are unable to understand and provide this, then you are incompetent and should be put out of business. Hopefully, my note will serve to those who demand great customer service, considering the money they are paying. By all means, avoid this store. Go to a gas station down the road, or take taxi to a supermarket or a liquor store, it will be worth your while, you will save money, and on the top of that save your self from dealing with rude unkind people.

Date of visit: April 2020