1,062 results
All reviewsturtle covebeach houseluxury cabanaevery morningjuan carlosgranolaconcierge stafffresh fruitla zebrasister propertysound of the wavesyour doorstepour honeymoonbeach frontincluded breakfastspecial shoutfalling asleep
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I searched through many options before my trip and decided on el pez based on the picture of the room with the ocean view, but when we arrived we got so much more.

We actually stayed in two different rooms in our 4 night stay 2 on the seaview and two on the oceanfront we loved them both. The seaview was more private, the balcony was always breezy and the room was a bit bigger. The oceanfront had unparalled view specially at dawn, we don't usually wake up early but here we just had to, it was that beautiful.

We loved the service, Derric, Wilberth Ruben and Jaime took great care of us. Special mention to Jaime's margaritas, the best we have ever had and we have had our share :)

Derrick helped my fiancee organize a private dinner at the beach that was awesome, we couldn't thank him enough for making our engagement trip an unforgettable one.

One final mention to the included breakfast, order the huevos rancheros or the full omellete with extra salsa roja and habanero sauce and you will have a new culinary experience...loved it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
ElPezTulum, Manager at El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Congratulations on your engagement! We are honored you chose El Pez for such a memorable occassion! Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers. Derrick especially wanted to thank you for your mention of him in your review-it was absolutely his pleasure to assist in making your engagement trip an unforgettable one! We were also happy to hear how much you enjoyed the food & found the eggs to be a great culinary experience-what a compliment to the chef! We hope to see you again, celebrating many anniversaries to come.

Saludos,

Reviewed 12 November 2012

We just visited El Pez for 5 days for the 2nd time...just perfect..we love this place...The ambience,the setting,the food,the room,the staff..it could not be more perfect.
It truly is a very very special place.
Mike and Julia,the managers are absolutely outstanding...nothing is too much trouble.my luggage was lost in Puerto Rico along with my(stupidly on my part)prescriptions.Within hours of arriving on a Sunday,Mike and Julia had called the local Doctor and within 2 hours all my replacement medication was delivered to me..(Asthma by the way)..go beat that!!!!
We will spend many many more times at El Pez
Derek and Ellie..Naples, Florida

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Derek & Ellie!!

Thank you both so much for coming to see us again AND writing such a sweet review! As always, it was our pleasure to have you here. We were so happy to hear that you enjoyed it just as much the second time around! :) We were glad we could help with your medication too-anything to make your stay more relaxing & enjoyable-you deserve it. We are already looking forward to your return in May!!! (If we don't see you in Naples before!)

Take care,

Reviewed 2 November 2012

Wow - where to start! We could rave on and on about this little gem. Our first time to Mexico and our first stop was El Pez. We stayed for 4 nights from 22nd oct. On arrival we were greeted by Julia, Michael and Derrick. They were so welcoming and friendly, we instantly felt right at home! Every staff member was so friendly and went above and beyond to make our stay just perfect. The location is great, the view is out of this world, the breakfast is delicious, the pool is a fab little escape from the sand and ocean! Our room was huge and always so clean, restocked with fresh beach towels and plenty of water. We didn't want to leave this paradise and we will definitely be visiting again!!!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Hey Nikki!

We really enjoyed reading your review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We were so happy to hear that we helped make your first visit to Mexico a pleasurable one & hope that you are able to visit us again very soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 28 October 2012

I stayed at El Pez with my boyfriend for five nights from October 19th-24th. It was very relaxing. Room 3 was amazing. Our view couldn't be beat. The little cove beach it's located on is not for swimming but it is beautiful to look at. The waves, the birds, the fishermen every evening, were so quaint and relaxing. A nice beach is a short walk south of the cove. The staff was super friendly. Antonio,Derrick,Lauren were all great. Antonio even made me a strong drink right before my flight home, which helped with airport stress :) The food was yummy whenever we ate at the hotel. I loved the breakfast granola so hard. The whole feeling was very laid back but by no means was the staff lazy. They tried hard to get us anything we wanted. I'd go back in a second. I felt safe because there is a police beach road patrol point right next to the hotel. Our cleaning lady was great. She'd get all the sand we dragged in and leave the room beautiful. Drinking champagne by candlelight on the balcony was a highlight because at night there are so many stars and great ocean breeze. A very sweet hotel.

-Christine V.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank ChristineMercedes

Hi Christine!

Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff truly appreciates your mention of them & the excellent service they provide. We hope that you are able to visit us again & enjoy the delicous homemade granola you loved!

Take care,

Reviewed 24 October 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights last week with friends and it was just the most incredible and relaxing time. The location really makes this hotel: the beach on your doorstep, hearing the waves whilst you fall asleep and watching the pelicans, fisherman and sunrise. It was certainly a memorable stay which will be stuck in my memory for a long time.

This hotel has amazing hippie charm. The free welcoming cocktail was very appreciated - (cocohito - try it, it's delicious!). The rooms are simple but chic and I totally loved showering in sea water. The hotel leaves bottles water in your room for drinking and washing your teeth (tap water also sea water). The ceiling fans relatively worked well at keeping the room cool in the lack A/C. Apparently this is the most 'advance' hotel on this strip of Tulum beach and even with it's hippie chic, it had the feel of a boutique hotel. The location is great and in good proximity to other beach bars and restaurants.

We didn't chat a lot to the staff, but they we indeed very friendly and helped with recommendations for local activities and offering us free tickets to a local club. Breakfast was painfully slow - even with only a few people eating, the service was snail pace. Not that you want to rush in this gorgeous place, but to wait 10 minutes just for juice and sliced fruit... They do make eggs as you like them and have a limited selection of Mexican and american breakfast dishes, but the staff are friendly as they slowly take your order and bring it to you.

We ate at the restaurant once for dinner and it was pretty much empty every night we stayed. The menu is very limited, basic and very expensive compared to the other local restaurants. I ordered chicken nachos (which I had eaten for lunch on another day and was perfectly fine) but on this evening they were pretty gross with everything slopped on top making the nachos very soggy and inedible. They kindly didn't charge me for it. Basically, people do stay there for the restaurant, but it has sooooo many other plus points!

The beach directly in front is too rocky to swim, but a short 5 mins walk south leads you to the most beautiful beach with warm, calm & clear waters where we even snorkelled and saw lots of great fish just 10 meters from the shore!!

Only downside of my stay was that one day the cleaner not only forgot to lock my (beach facing!) room, but she left the master keys for all the other rooms in my unlocked room. Needless to say I was very disappointed, but the Manager was very apologetic. Luckily nothing was missing from my room. Normally I would have been really crazy angry but, luckily for the hotel, the atmosphere made me so relaxed, I could not just get angry!!

I would recommend El Pez to everyone. It was just stunning. Worth it just for the sunrise!!

Room Tip: I had the bottom sea front room nearest the kitchen. It was totally amazing to be able to walk directly out onto the beach in your pyjamas! But I could sometimes hear kitchen noises at night. My room had a nice, but quite strong, scent from an oil room freshener (which my friend's room did not have), so I can only imagine that it was to mask the kitchen smell, which it successfully did.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank kitschlyns

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate your feedback and were very happy to hear you found El Pez so relaxing. We enjoyed the beautiful pics you posted as well-thank you!

Michael & Julia