Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 628
US$ 427
  • Beachfront
Playa Palms Beach Hotel(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$ 194
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$ 359
US$ 273
Hotels.com
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 622
US$ 608
Viceroy Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 916
US$ 539
  • Pool
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 423
US$ 338
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 879
US$ 747
US$ 504
US$ 320
Priceline
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 1,042
Bookit.com
10,073 results
All reviewssports barfondueriviera sideplatinum sectiona la cartesmama miaplatinum loungesunset buffetlas olasplatinum packagedeluxe junior suitele fleurcooking showchill out barwater shoesseafoodprivate pool
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess in Riviera Maya from December 9th 2017 to the 16th. We were well greated, barely had to wait to check in, lovely walk to our room with was close enough to the beach. We had requested pool view which is what we got and the room was just wonderful, very clean and spacious. Bed was comfortable with good quality linen. The staff was great all around, but Asuncion at the pool bar was who made our trip one to remember forever. He makes the best drinks and is very entertaining all around. We checked out the foam party on the beach which was kind of cool, but we didn't stay long. I went there NOT expecting much for the beach as I was in Mexico, but I must say the beach was great. I snorkled, but didn't see much which was expecting with all the waves. When booking with AirTransat you get a townpass for free which allows you to go to playa del carmen for the day (free transportation) they drop you off and pick you up, on the way back they stop at a tequila place where you can make purchases and learn how they make tequila. You can also go on you own by local bus for $5 there and back per person. If my memory serves me right there are buses several times a day.
Restaurants are all great, fondu restaurant isn't anything special, but the food was good. Steakhouse rocked.
We did two excursions Isla mujeres for the which i was looking forward to and was slightly disappointed. We booked with Transat and I regret not having rented a car and taking the ferry over on my own. That being said, the bus picked us up and we got dropped off were we caught our catamaran. Once aboard they gave us the option to get dropped off on isla mujeres or stay on the catamaran for snorkling time near a coral reef. I went for the snorkling because I love it and wanted to share my boyfriends first experience. He was nervous because he is't very comfortable in the water. They provided life jackets and let us off the boat and the guides asked us to follow them (assuming we are heading to the coral) we must have swam for 30 minutes non stop, my boyfriend was struggling and had to be pulled by the staff, kids we also struggling, one boy lost his snorkle. We finally realise that the catamaran relocated and we were swimming to our boat. As soon as we got there the staff asked us to get back on the boat because we had to head to the island. I was super disappointed because I wasn't able to dive anywhere as I spent my time swimming to keep up with the group, my boyfriend was traumatized swimming is the ocean with all the waves. I had stuffed my bikini with bread to feed the fish and hurried before getting back on the boat, ended up handing out my bread so others could appreciate 2 mins of fish. what made up for me being ''pissed off'' was the fact that a bunch of dolphin showed up beside our catamaran on our way back to the island and they were showing off in front out our boat which was soooooo amazing and made me happy and kind of forget about my disappointment. We wanted to rent a golf kart on the island as a friend recommended is, but our guide said no that we wouldnt have enough time. Food was great which was included (buffet)
second excusion was Chichen Itza and cenote
it was a long day in the sun, but just wonderful. They say breakfast is included, but u get pasteries, fruit and coffee so if you want something else bring it. Make sure to wear a hat and lots of sunscreen as there's not much shade.

We would have loved to do other excursionc, but wanted to enjoy the resort as well and we totally did. I was even able to enjoy a coule NFL games at the sports bar WOW!!!

Room Tip: vue de picine
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jasmine G
Princess_RivieraMaya, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear Jasmine G,

Thank you so much for this review about your latest experience at Grand Sunset Princess hotel.

It makes us all very happy to learn that you had a great vacation in our company and that we appreciate you for mentioning Asunción name. You can be sure that she will receive praise for her excellent work and dedication.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again so that you can experience more excursions and, also, collect more unforgettable memories at Grand Sunset Princess.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Everything was good except the beach was not as nice as we hoped. Lots of weeds and stonesin the water. The buffet food was good but not the a la carte restaurants. Everybody was very pleasant and helpful.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dhalgren69

Dear Dhalgren69,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are glad to see that, despite of the seaweed, you had an overall good experience and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

5 nights stay with 2 girls: 4 and 8 years old.

Such an improvement from 2 years ago! Now you have Wi-FI that works. Food at the buffet is wonderful. Huge selection, new theme every night. Staff goes out of their way to please you. I have no idea how anyone can complain...This is the best resort to stay with kids.

WHAT I PACKED after doing some research:
Night light - room is pitch dark
Sun block - $28 at the shop
Sun burn remedy. Aquafore? Lotion.
Shampoo+conditioner+body wash 3 in 1 for kids. Large bottle. No conditioner at the room.
Basic medication kit with ibuprofen, bandaids, etc.
Sand toys are $15-20 at the shop. We still bought them here.
Swim shoes (it is a bit rocky and weedy as you enter first 30 feet in to the water)
Swim t-shirts - $50 at shop - we all got burned day one regardless of sunblock used.
Hats that have ties, so they don't fly away.
Lots of spare clothes and underwear, extra swim suits. Even if you wash it by hand, it almost never dries overnight - too humid. I packed 1.5 outfits for everyone a day.
Many people dress up really nicely at night. Bring some jewelry :)
Sheet set maybe? They do not wash the duvet covers, only flat sheets.
I got my down pillow as pillows are typical, a bit stiff for me, everyone was fighting over it!
Favorite inflatables for pool ***Bought a 99C inflatable arm floaties last minute as I could not find regular ones in my garage. They worked like magic! The regular ones take half of the suit case. PS. Make sure you inflate them after on they are on your child's arms.
Goggles, mask, etc.
Sun glasses
Pareo to walk around in swim suite
Beach bag.
Towels are provided, but I had space, so brought my own.
Comfortable shoes, you might have to walk quite a bit, depends which room you got. Resort is huge.
$1 - $5. We tipped $1 after each meal as our girls are super messy. Not expected, but appreciated.
Kids tablets and head phones (so you can sleep in the morning)
My daughter squeezed $9 pack of Cheetos at the gift shop out of me once. Bring your favorite snack maybe?
Wagon if you have little kids. You can bring it as checked luggage, I wish I knew. If you stay in Riviera Family club section, they do have free buggy cars, push cars, strollers you can use.

Kids club: works 9-9 I believe. You can leave kids there. If you are not a member of Family club (Riviera side), you pay $10 per chid per day. It is a large room with toys and activities. There is also a huge screen with cartoons playing. 4 year old especially loved it. Teen club is on the other side of front desk. Basically same room. Teen is 9-17. You can google the photos. Also Kids Club has kiddie pool with slides outside. My girls really enjoyed it. Got their nails painted, brought 2 projects home.
You only can get swim out room with kids if you are in the family club. Next to the lobby, most restaurants, etc.

Swim out room is absolutely great. You can only book it if your kids are 13+

We really enjoyed the evening shows. Starts every night at 8:30. Theatre is located on the 2nd story, near the front desk. Saw Moana, Grese, Dance Party (pop songs re-enacted), Mexican. Kids enjoyed dancing at the stage before and after the show.

After theater performance, there is live music at the plaza (between the buffets).

Beach is about a 10 min walk from lobby. There is snack buffet with smaller selection. It closes to switch meals periodically.

There is a open cart shuttle that runs about every 15 minutes. Exercise will help you with all that overeating though.

Restaurants are NOT open all the time. There are hours of operation for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Sports bar with burgers, etc. is open 24 hrs. Restaurants: you have to make reservation for Dinner the day before. Make all reservations day of arrival. Beech restaurant is extra $. We didn't go, but it looks very romantic. At our previous stays as a couple, we went to all the restaurants. They were ok, not worth waiting a long time for each course to arrive I think, but a nice break from buffet routine. Sushi at the restaurant was the worst. I don't understand it...so much wonderful fish here, can't resort hire a couple decent sushi chefs?.. Buffet was just excellent, decided to skip restaurants with kids. Room service - food is now an extra charge.

Before coming, I bought 2 kids Amazon FIRE tablets on a Deal of the Day. Best purchase ever! It has like 10K games, activities, books, cartoons. We got an hour of extra sleep every morning even though we all stayed in one room. If you are in no wi-fi zone, make sure you download it ahead of time (for the flight).

If you arrive on shuttle, don't forget to order your return shuttle. You have to walk to the front lobby to do it. Normally they are at the resort between 10-1:30. Cannot do it online or by phone.

Shuttle during booking costs the same or less then taxi later. I always include it during booking.

Room is very humid. A/c worked well. Fan runs all the time, a/c adds cold air from time to time.

You get stocked mini fridge with water, pop, beer, tequila. Coffee maker in the room, no microwave.

Bathroom is kind of funny. Shower and toilet doors are almost see through. Frosted glass. There is also a frosted window between room and bathroom. You can't see, but you can hear everything. Not enough space to dry towels or clothes. Only on the balcony.

There is a bunch of entertainment every night, make sure you ask at the front desk not to miss anything.

AND Leave a nice review if you enjoyed it. Most of the time, people would leave a review when they have problems, but not when they are happy. Staff at the resort truly work their hardest I think. Thank you, Princess Grand. Such a worry free experience traveling with kids. We enjoyed absolutely everything!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
10  Thank Anna O
Princess_RivieraMaya, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear Anna O,

We really appreciate the fact that you took the time to write such a compreenshive review of our hotel as we are sure that it will be very helpful to all of our future guests.

Thank you for your compliments on our staff, we also believe that our staff's great work, passion and dedication should be mentioned more often in our guests reviews, and we appreciate you for mentioning.

We hope to see you again soon so that you and your lovely girls can experience another amazing vacation at Grand Sunset Princess hotel.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Although the resort was lovely: the staff, the vegetation, wildlife, pools and quality of food, the beach was horrible, with mounds of smelly and buggy seaweed, making it impossible to walk the beach without stepping in the seaweed. The water is also filled with seaweed. Apparently it is like that ALL the time, not just some times. If you are not a beach person, then this is a great resort. The rooms were quite nice with wonderful rain shower heads. But i was disappointed that I lost a Tiffany bracelet which was never handed into lost and found, and when we left behind a brand new bathing suit, somehow the staff never found it in the room because it too was not reported to lost and found in spite of our leaving a very good tip for the maid. That was disappointing. It is a large resort so be prepared to do a lot of walking.

Room Tip: We found that the most peaceful area to relax poolside was beside the swim-out rooms, away from the racket of the main pool with the blasting music all day.
Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank TOtraveler2015

Dear TOtraveler2015,

Thank you kindly for your review of our hotel.

We are happy to learn that you had a good experience at our hotel and we just wanted to clarify that this unfortunate seaweed situation is not permanent, contrary to what you might have heard. This increased seaweed arrival is in great part caused by climate changes that have caused this increase of seaweed that has arrived at the coast of Riviera Maya. Three years ago we experienced the same situation and although it lasted for a couple of months, the seaweed eventually stopped arriving and our beaches became beautiful as always.

We wish that you can come back and visit us again so that you can enjoy our beach in all it's beauty and have a relaxing and pleasureful vacation.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

This was our third time visiting this Resort. We love the friendliness, atmosphere, and exquisite food at the restaurants. The Platinum Suite is our favorote because of the amenities it offers. There are only a few things I would change about this Resort. One being, that there are too many agents now soliciting vacationers for timeshares. My second recommendation would be to change up the entertainment. This too had been a huge reason we loved to return; however, after the third time it was apparent the shows are all the same just the cast change. In addition, they showed children's movies twice in a week at 8:30 p.m. despite having a children's program at 7:30 p.m. that same evening. I feel that the 8:30 p.m. entertainment should be catered for adults or at the least, families of all ages not younger children. The cast of the shows are excellent therefore, I am confident they could expand their talents and really spruce up the entertainment each year. But once again, it was a great trip and hands down recommend to all.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple