“GORGEOUS place with mediocre service/food/drinks”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #76 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 June 2012

This was my first all inclusive experience. I went here for 3 days as part of a company trip and stayed in a Deluxe Junior Suite.

The Good: The place is INCREDIBLY beautiful and well-kept. Our room was very nice and very large. The beach has great sand and we loved renting the hoby cat (sailboat) and taking it for a spin in the surf.

The Bad: The food at the buffet is terrible, restaurants are hit-or miss (Hibachi grill was our favorite) service was OK and the drinks are more likely to give you a sugar high than a buzz. From first look it appears to be a 5star hotel but service and food would bring it down to 3 or 4 stars.

Overall if you can get this place for cheap DO IT but don't expect a 5 star experience.

Room Tip: The resort is a mile long so if you want to be close to restaurants you'll be far from the beach...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank BrandonB77
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Spent two weeks at the resort, in May 2012 we arrived and the staff were very welcoming and helpful. I was a little wary as had read some reviews on here, but really most negatives that were expressed are minor in my view. Reception is really large, there are two of them one is the Sunset and the other is Princess but they are the same hotel. Your bags get taken to the room for you, which allows you to get a drink in the lobby bar, which is much needed after the long flight. We stayed in the Riviera standard rooms with a sea/countryside view for the first week, we then upgraded to the platinum sunset section for the second week. This was great, the room was ground floor looking onto the beach, it had a jacuzzi on the balcony and in the bathroom, all services except the Beah chill out are included, has it's own private reception area with bar and private swimming pool with cabannas. When we arrived we were amazed how big the resort was and not sure if we'd like it, 24hours in we loved it. it's like a small town really beautifully laid out lovely scupltures along the walkways plenty of restaurants to choose from and the buffet was really good and lots of fresh food to choose from.

You can walk through the buildings which I did when I didn't want to walk in the sun, they were very cool with water features in each one. The staff work extremely hard to keep the place clean and looking good and the staff are friendly.

Our 4 year old isn't normally a fan of kids club but actaully asked if he could go to mini-club.

We avoided the main pool as it was to rowdy for us, lots of drunk people but there are plenty of other pools to choose from.

Concierge was extremely helpful we were able to loan a pushcair as we hadn't brought ours but should have.

By the end of the two weeks we had such a great time we discussed extending our stay, would love to go back but there are too many places that we still want to go.

Room Tip: Recommend the Platinum Suites
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank troy77
Reviewed 19 June 2012

No complaints here - it was absolutely amazing. My family and I are easy to please, however, so we do not find many problems with a place like this! Absolutely gorgeous hotel and landscaping. Loved the food, the pool activities, and the beach. There is something to do for everyone, whether you are there to party or get some rest and relaxation.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank love2travellsu22
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed in this hotel from June 2 to June 9 2012.
First time in Mexico. Previously we were in Dominican Republic and Cuba.
Very nice location, with interesting buildings. Pools everywhere. The restaurants are very good and the food excellent.
Regarding the beach, be advised that there could be some rocks in the water, nothing dangerous, but is not just sand there :) We had a pair of water-shoes and didn't have no problem at all.
There is a Internet connection available for 70$/week (that's the best one). You can also buy access for 20$/1 day or 10$ for 30 minutes. Though there is a free wi-fi spot right next to the concierge and telephone booths. Also, if you buy a local excursion via Sunwing, you can have free internet access at their office.
Paid in Mexican pesos mostly with my Visa, the exchange rate was better than local.
Took the Ek'Balam & Cenote tour for 130$ per person. Excelent tour, I'd say.
Overall, it was a very nice first impression about Mexico :)
Catalin, Montreal

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Viorel Catalin P
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My overall experience there was very good. But there were a few things that could have been better. Lets start with "The Good". THe place huge and very beautiful, marble floors, picturesque, well manicured lawns, and wonderful pools. They had nightly activities, and many restaurants to choose from. THe food in the main eating area had a variety of things so that everyone could find something that they liked. THe desserts at dinner time were plentiful. I especially liked the coconut ice cream with shreds of coconut throughout. The beach had a bar and a grill available for drinks and food. The hamburgers from the grill were the best I ever had. They also had hotdogs, chips and salsa and another side dish. So you never had to leave the beach if you were hungry or thirsty. The beach also had places where you could get a massage, for a reasonable fee, and there were vendors on the beach that sold jewelry, clothing and trips/tours. So bring your money or credit cards if you might want to make a purchase. (the food and drink was free, of course.)

"The Bad". The front desk staff failed to tell you things that may have been helpful. For example, we booked a tour off of the property, and while we were waiting to be picked up, we saw other people with bagged lunches. WHen I went to the desk to ask how to get one, they said you have to order it 24 hours in advane. Also, it is suggested that you make a reservation in advance for some of the specialty restaurants. The internet is not free, you have to purchase a card with a pin for $20 for 24 hours. Not cheap over the course of 4-7 days. If your room is near the front desk, the walk to the beach is about a 10+ minute walk, although there is a shuttle service if you want to wait. If your room is near the beach, the walk is the same to go to the restaurants or activities. The mattresses were hard, and my friend said she could never get comfortable. I was able to sleep with no problems.

"The Ugly". The bottom of the ocean is very rocky, especially the area closest to the shore. Fortunately I had read someone else's review about this so I took my water slippers, so I was able to navigate with no problems. If you don't have any, the rocks are not sharp or slippery, but can be a little rough.

Again, I did enjoy my stay, and I felt I had gotten a good price for this resort, which made it definitely worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Magic Blue Hotel
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
27.2 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
The Reef Coco Beach
#103 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
36.9 km away
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK