“Food was fabulous, service not so much..”
Review of El Fogon

El Fogon
Ranked #33 of 1,267 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 10
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Princeton
“Food was fabulous, service not so much..”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Before I even left for PDC I was eager to try the food at El Fogan. There are three locations for this restaurant and we went to one just past the Walmart. We were seated upstairs which was much cooler and less crowded than the first floor area. They don't have many seafood options so we stuck to the vegetarian selections. I was shocked by how cheap their prices were compared to what we saw elsewhere closer to 5th ave. Their drinks are massive and I would have been happy just having one of their drinks as my meal.

My only complaint was that they different and more expensive entrees on our bill than what we ordered and received. We asked them to correct it, which they did. They then added side orders of something else. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt by saying that it was a legitimate error but one has to wonder if they were trying to swing more money out of "unsuspecting" tourists. Just review your bill closely before paying anything.

3 Thank MrsMbas
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, Canada
“Another great experience !”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I wanted to stop by El Fogon during my recent stay in April 2012 as always.This time it was only for a drink and a snack as we were heading back to the hotel for dinner. I ordered pork tacos ( the pork is on a spit and delicious ). It was my friend's first visit to Playa and she loved the little bit of food that we ordered along with some munchies they brought to the table. be careful with the chili sauses, some are very hotttt. The margaritas and pina coladas are hard to beat, very hard to stop at just one so we had three..Its an authentic Mexican restaurant with many repeat guests, including myself...Prices are great, service is good and the tables on the upper floor overlooking the street are the best for airflow and views. I recommend this...you will return also once you try this quaint little gem.

1 Thank Penny D
vail
“Worth the walk”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I believe there might be two locations for this restaurant. The one we visited required a little bit of a walk out of the 5th Avenue tourist area. It was definitely worth the walk. This seemed much more a "locals" place than anywhere else. The menu had no english, the waiter spoke a little bit, but everything looked so good that it was easy to order. The queso fundido is excellent. My meal was the arrachera plate and it came with a bowl of a spicy ham and bean soup. everything on the plate was amazing. The guacamole was legitimate... everything I remember from going to Mexico countless times in my youth.

The food was crazy cheap to... It was most likely the most affordable meal of the entire trip. Four of us ate copious amounts of food for around $20 (US). Definitely worth the walk. It contained great food, great service, and great atmosphere. Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank jrm27
“Best budget lunch in town”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Tacos al Pastor are sooooo good. Their taste will stay in your head until your next visit. It's also cheap. Perfect for a quick lunch.

Santa Monica, California
“I wish I didn't smell like meat after eating here”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was exciting to try this place, all the locals seem to like it. They tell you that the taco plates are small so we ordered a few. They were quite large and we ended up with lots of leftovers. The cheese they add to the meat is a strange sort of chewy texture that really doesn't melt. It looks like taffy. The maragitas have no booze in them so stick to the beers. Oh, and the salsa is super spicy! I mean, the one that looks like regular salsa knocked my socks off. My mouth was on fire and so was everyone's at the table. My favorite was the pork tacos, chorizo was good too just heavy. Don't plan on going out after you eat here. We all had to take another shower after dinner and we still smell like meat.

Visited April 2012