“ONCE IS ENOUGH” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #88 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
new jersey
“ONCE IS ENOUGH”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband and myself was at the BBGE this week. Like everyone said the beach is horrible and the water isn't much better. If you go alittle to the left the water at least is cleaner but very shallow and the water to the right in front of the other hotel isn't to bad. But you must see the lagoon about 10 min to the left of the hotel. The pool is another sore spot it says 4 ft but the water wasn't even up to the skimmer so its about 3 to 3 1/2 ft deep not good at all. But aside from those to major issues the rest of the place is very clean, was in Bldg 4 room was ice cold and clean, refrigerator stocked everyday. Employees were very polite and helpful except the front desk not to friendly or helpful. Hotel was 30% filled and asked to change rooms and front desk told us none available. Beware of the time share people when you enter the lobby by the was is not air conditioned or any ceiling fans very hot and uncomfortable. The theater is also very hot not enclosed has ceiling fans but on low setting. Shows were the worst I had ever seen. But the food was the best AI I had ever eaten and I have been traveling to Mexico for 8 years. Ate in all the spec rest. Would I go back or recommend probably not unless it was real cheap. Missing alot of little things that other hotels offer. They have room service but was told by front desk food is free but $12.00 room charge to deliver. All in all once is enough.

4 Thank ardnas
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,835)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Me and husband went on our honeymoon for 2 weeks. On our arrival we were wowed! Cocktails bellboys!! Couldn't do
Enough for us. God we were fooled. 6 days out of 14 our room wasn't cleaned. We got put in a interconnecting room (door was locked) but the whole time we had Spanish/American/Spanish again in the room
Next door and they were loud beyond belief. We heard their convos every morning and every night. We were as well all in same room so if you go, ask for a non connecting room. There was ants etc on balcony but I've never been on holiday where there wasn't so that's not an issue. You have to pay 120+mxn peso for room Service, don't understand this as its all inclusive. We were in block 6 which is a good 10 min walk to beach but that's not an issue either. We were on 4th floor which was a nightmare for luggage. Also a nightmare as whole 2 weeks the lifts were broken so in 40 degree heat and climbing stairs, it's a killer. Room pro though, air con.....fab!!

Sports bar, quite dirty. Female staff rude. On the odd occasion I got quite a lot of boob remarks from bar staff. Regardless of hubby being right next to me. You can get alcohol from 10am which for us being on honeymoon and in our 20's was ace but..............if you get drunk, you will be hounded by security who take pictures of you in case you do Anything so they can fine you. My friend dropped a no smoking sign from table and it broke so they wanted a $50 fine from him! No chance!! So beware!!! They will fine you for anything. The phones didn't work more than they did work, bank machine didn't work more than it did work. The phone card machine took our Money, kept the money and Didn't give us a card. Told
Reception who Didn't care and we never saw our money again. They never have change for anything and when they do it's in 1 peso. USE PESO FOR EVERYTHING!!! THEY GIVE CHANGE IN PESO WHETHER YOU USE $$$ so youay be getting short changed. The sprinklers (which I know they have to use) outside the buffet restaurant smell like s**t and made me and others gag as we walked in and out of eating. As before, female staff are so rude it's annoying. Male staff were nice of they werent sleazing over girls. They also slagged my husband off in Spanish at every bar cos Of his hair. They didn't know I spoke Spanish so we are deeply offended by this. It's disgusting to think you pay all this money and they are saying things. The fringe in ro
Didn't work also. The beach was the best part to me. It was breezy but hot and relaxing. Waters not great but I'm
Not keen on sea water anyway. Restaurants have to be booked although they were never full. French was what I looked forward to and I was deeply disappointed, they had no vege option, all meat dishes for main
Course. They made me vegetables that had been cooked in the same pan
As beef. I've been a vege for 18 years, I'm not bloody stupid!! You also get another menu that ypu cam
Pick off but you have to pay for these things.The grounds were clean, there's always someone Doing something. The wifi was always broken, so if the phones were broken too we had no way to speak to kids at home. We had no alcohol in our room like advertised. Entertainment is TERRIBLE!! Once that's done, you have nothing else to do unless you do
Coco bongos (amazing) or go to playa!! I really would
Not recommend this hotel. I would wrote more on this review but to be honest, I've wasted enough time and money on this place I'm not about to lose anymore. Pay a couple Of hundred quid more and go
Somewhere where your treated perfectly for the money. All Inclusive my bum!! RUDE PEOPLE, GREEDY WITH MONEY, NO PEOPLE SKILLS WHATSOEVER. Just give it a miss guys!! I read the reviews on here and thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Big mistake!! Certainly
Put a damper on honeymoon!! Love Mexico, hate Bluebay!!

• Stayed July 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Lilaalfie
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Okay...heres my experience. After reading reviews I was terrified to go here! At the airport I wasn't happy at all. Here is my take.
Go through Apple or Funjet. We had transportation to and from the resort from the airport. No taxi rip off hassle. When we arrived the waitress had cold drinks waiting for us and check in was superfast!. The lobby has no air and the only place for free wi-Fi so waiting for my phone to connect in the heat was sometimes brutal. They also drove our suitcases to our room for us.

Room- was clean and alot of space. Yes there were a few mosquitos in the room, a spider, and the cutest 1 inch lizard ever! But that didn't bother me. You in the jungle what do you expect! Restocked mini bar every day. We did leave a tip in the room everyday..we are just like that. And we used the safe just incase. The maid even placed my tolietries in order by height and lables facing out! I'm OCD so this put a big smile on my face!
Pool-lt was clean and nice. Turned hotter as the day got hotter. Wait staff served us in the pool and they were very nice. I saw a few people complain and the pools had sand in them. THIS is not anyones elses fault but RUDE guests NOT rinsing off their feet after walking from the beach into the pools. There is NO excuse because the resort has dipping pools for your feet and a shower off the beach RIGHT by the pools.

Food-Was good. I am from Chicago so I am very picky about my food. But all in all it was good. The resaurants were good as well. MAKE RESERVATIONS one day in advance. We never had a problem. And yes the restaurants are only half filled, but to be honest I liked it that way. NO 24HR snack bar! This was the only thing that pissed me off alittle. It says everywhere 24hr snack bar but its in the "Steak House" restaurant till 3am.

Bar-Find the BEACH PARTY! Every other night they have a DJ and throw a beach party in the VIP section. What a blast! I think the DJ goes from Beach Party to Sports bar to Swing bar different nights so ask around. The sports bar was great, although the one bartendar tried to "charge" us for drinks once. But most of them were awesome. Ask for their special drinks Road runner, Mango Tango, etc.

Property- Yes it is a long walk to the beach...but its a nice walk, and after eating and drinking your brains out...a walk is what you need. They have trams as well (walk to the side of the pathway). They were out there powerwashing and cleaning all day making it lovely. BEWARE THOSE PESKY MOSQUITOS! Ugh! they were little pain in the butts! Lucky I read a review that mentioned that so I brought along single packaged bug wipes. I wiped down before we left for the night (gave my legs an awesome shine. My husband made fun of me because I loved the shine it gave!) I also made him put one in his pocket for later just in case. Little lightweight and conveinent.

Shows-They were a little lame BUT after seeing how hot it is and those entertainers giving all they have got to give to us. It was worth it. The Michael Jackson show was my fav.

NOW FOR MY FAVORITE PART! I am so glad I read this on tripadvisor or I would have never known this.
LAGOON!!!! to the LEFT of the beach about 10 minutes is a BEATUIFUL lagoon. Just passed the next resort. Now the other resort has chairs and beds you can't sit on but they DO NOT own the lagoon, and it is fair game. PLEASE GO! what a beautiful amazing natural wonder that made this trip almost perfect.

The Ocean and beach- People relax..its the ocean. Unpredicable! Yes there was "alittle' seaweed, but the resort did all it could to clean it daily. I also noticed the one day it rained it shifted down the beach alittle. This is not the resorts fault. Besides even if the ocean was beyond perfect I still would have spent all my time in the lagoon. No contest no matter pristine the beach and ocean were. (FYI) The VIP section is open to everyone after 5:30pm
Over all it was great. Just a bummer about the 24hr snack bar, and one bartnder trying to charge us.
We wouldn't stay again ONLY because we like going to different places. But with a good deal and to see my lagoon again...sure why not.

8 Thank LaRue J
bracknell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

First of all, do not be put off by all the negative reviews,
1. The beach is perfect, the only reason it gets dark and unclear, is is due to the weather it's schoolboy science really and i'm not going to waste time explaining it.
2. This is an all inclusive resort, I take a beer out of my fridge and hey presto it gets replaced the next day all at no cost. I've stayed in some of the top hotels in Europe and USA (Major hotels Las vegas) and you don't get that sort of service.
3. The staff here work really hard to make your stay an enjoyable one, Ruperta and Candida in the restaraunt went out of their way to serve me.
4. We had no trouble booking an a'la carte restaraunt, we just followed the instructions in the resort info guide (book the day before).
5.The animals wandering around the resort were wild animals and made the break really interesting, but certain individuals couldn't follow the signs about not feeding them.

Room Tip: Ask for quite rooms, there were a lot of people in our block who got up early and made quite a bit o...
8 Thank dominic o
Stittsville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

The beaches are white and pristine, the food is amazing- try the fresh salsa! OMG- and the staff are some of the kindest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. The rooms are kept immaculate, and they folded a new (towel) animal on the beds each day. Please bring a can of Tim Hortons coffee to the VIP bar- you'll get a warm welcome for sure (tell them the Canadians said hello!)!

If you like to drink and want to get a buzz on, be sure to ask for a specific brand- Jose tequila in your margs will get you a lot farther than the hotel brands. Golden Margaritas are one of the best kept secrets ever- don't leave without trying one! Also, be sure to check out all the different bars- there was one with, literally, wooden swings that you could relax on all day.

If you'd like to experience snorkelling, walk to the Ocean resort on the left side and ask there- far cheaper than the day trips advertised, and it's just you and a guide out on the reefs!

Overall one of the coolest trips of my life.

Room Tip: Ask for the beachfront rooms- so worth it. If you can get to the top floor, you have lovely rushes o...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 10,575 reviews

Been to BlueBay Grand Esmeralda? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK