BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
  • Beachfront
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Ocean Maya Royale(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
10,347 results
All reviewsblue bayswing barwhite barsports barseafoodjaal haa la carte restaurantssmaller poolfestival buffetbeautiful lagoonfrench restaurantbreakfast and lunchmain poolstayed in buildingdinner showtime shareother resorts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My boyfriend and I went to mexico together for the first time so we were not very sure what to expect. The hotel itself was nice I wouldn't say super clean as sometimes it seemed like our sheets didn't even get changed :s and the bathroom was not cleaned they actually left us with no toilet paper and when we called to ask for some they asked why :s there were also some ants in the rooms and our door broke 2 different times where they had to replace the whole lock each time. But the room was decent size the bed was comfy and the room was cool with the fan on. As for the resort the walking didn't bother me and the food was awesome we just ate at the buffets and they were always good. Sadly the pools always seemed dirty and the beach was brown..not what i expected of a beach at a resort in mexico a few days we went down to playa del carmen and the beaches there are beautiful and that is only about 15 mins away. All in all the resort was ok we really arn't picky so the stuff sucked didnt bother us to much i really dont think i would go back to this resort though.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Shannon B
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My husband and I and our 2 kids( 3 year old and 8 month old) just came back from this resort and stayed from June 5th to June 15th. I have to say that our experience there was beyond exceptional. I myself have been to Mexico a handful of times as well as my husband. We compared our experince here better than Dreams resort that claimed to be a 5.5 star hotel. First off for the complainers on here that had nothing better to do but look for the bad things to say shame on you as this is as close to nature and natural setting as you can get. Complainants on mosquitos BOOO WHOOO, would you go camping and complain about the mosquitos there? NO if you want a more natural setting this was the place to go. It felt tranquil as it felt like you really took in Mexico and what natural nature had to offer. Iguanas, some type of Lemeer like animal, racoons, beautiful fishes in the Mangroves etc. Not once did me or my kids feel like we were going to be attacked nor felt unsafe. As for the beaches people complain to much about things that are natures work. There was a bit of seaweed but it was from the ocean and honestly there were so many workers working day in and day out 24/7 to keep the beaches clean and the seaweed out of the water for the guests. I am not sure why people are complaining more about Nature when its not man that causes these issues its weather and climate.
Well enough with the people with the nose to high in the air to enjoy the R&R this resort gave me and my family.
Alacartes were to die for and made sure we booked every morning to get to enjoy them. The buffets with filled with so much choices it was hard to keep up somedays. The grounds from the keeping the gardens clean to ensuring that the water in the pool was always cleaned was done almost every 3 hours it was astounding how hard they work to keep customer like us happy. We never had an issue with getting shade or a spot on the beach as most people are complaining about and not sure what they are talking about. The staff at the Buffets, from staff walking around always asking if we wanted anything worked so hard it was unbeievlable how the treatment was there. If you ask if I would stay there again my answer is YES we are already planning our trip there for December.
1 more thing I wanted to add as i read the NEGATIVE Commentors on here. Complain all you want but take a look at the choice you made to go there and stay( When you could have left if it was that bad), take a look at how well you were fed, remember the pool you either swam in or sat by and take a look at the hard workers that waited on you hand and foot to try to make you happy. Now remember how hard it is to make money from where your from and just remember that the staff that work hard to give you wonderful memories, that clean the grounds, that wait on you hand and foot, that clean your room, that cook your meals in the scorching heat etc.do this all for 70 to 100 pesos a day ($7 to $10 USD a day) to keep people like you happy. Well Done to all the Complainers that couldnt take time to enjoy themselves and found more time to complain about not being served with a silver spoon.
5 star Resort to me and my family

Room Tip: Stayed at Coba Building 2 and was a great short walk to the pools and beach. Either way the walk anywhere was great
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
15  Thank Jhenelle R
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Family of 4, including a 20 year old and 14 year old stayed for 2 weeks May/June 2012.
Excellent holiday thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend the hotel to family and friends. The rooms were nice and big and most of all clean! The only downside was the fact that we had requested sea view and were not provided with them when there were rooms empty across the hall the fortnight we stayed with a sea view!
The pool was lovely and the service was excellent! There were a number of a la carte restaurants available to eat from, and the food was fab! We especially enjoyed the Steak House and French restaurant. We had a fantastic waiter called Jacobo in the French restaurant, who was extremely efficient, friendly and happy to help. For this very reason we returned to that restaurant on several occasions.
One of our only complaints was that the concierge constantly hassled us to upgrade our rooms! He even phoned our private room number and tried to ploy me by saying he had a welcome pack from Thomas Cook, this meant that I used the other lobby exit to avoid him!
The beach was lovely and we took a 5 minute walk to a fresh water lagoon where we enjoyed kayaking and snorkelling!
If you have children we would recommend Xplore and Xcaret parks where there are water activities such as Snuba diving and zip lining!

Room Tip: Asked for sea view but were given normal rooms. This was very annoying as there were sea view rooms empty!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Vera F
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My fiancee and I along with a group of friends stayed for 6 nights in June 2012. I will tell about the very few good things at this hotel first. The food was pretty good depending on what restaurant you ate at. We actually enjoyed the buffett most because it didnt take 2 hours to get our food. The rooms were modern and appeared clean. Now, for the things that matter. DON'T stay at this hotel unless you are on an exercise vacation, because you will spend half of your stay walking! It is conservatively a 5-10 minute walk from the pool/beach area to the main lobby, sports bar and restaurants. The resort is split with 5 residence buildings near the lobby and 5 down near the beach. Either way, you are going to be walking either to the pool or to eat. They claim they have trains running back and forth, but we were only able to catch them twice. Next, there are only 2 bars at this resort and NO swim up bar in the pool. The beach bar is the most popular with the sports bar being up near the lobby. They do have wait staff that will bring drinks to you in the pool, but it is faster to get it yourself. Also, the beach in front of this resort is literally the worst I've seen. We joked and called it the "oil spill". After talking with some of the locals and one of our scuba dive masters, we learned that this specific beach area always looks like this. I wasn't aware of any beach in mexico that looked like this. I could go on for hours about the sub par service, but that may be to subjective. Overall, the only real benefit was the price. However, as with most things, you get what you pay for. Definitely would never consider this resort again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Jon H
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

We feel we provide good value, but it seems you had different expectations. I´m very sorry you didn´t enjoy your stay, and I do appreciate the feedback.
kind regards
Grand Esmeralda team

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Stayed here 7th - 14th of June. Advised on arrival that only 3 a la carte restaurants were open each night as it was low season and hotel was less than half full, information I would have liked before selecting this hotel. We could not then book an a la carte restaurant for that night as it was after 5 pm, not because they were all fully booked. Shown to our room and unpacked, went back to reception to book restaurant for following night but couldn't because it was after 7 pm ?! The beaches all along here were covered in thick weed as stated by so many, but the day before we left the sea was pretty clear so it may be a seasonal/tidal thing. The pool too shallow to swim and too warm to cool off. When we got into A la carte restaurant on our 3rd night imagine how surprised we were that it was half empty. It seems they would prefer you to eat in the buffet, which I have to say I would prefer to use the term canteen. The breakfast and lunch buffet were good and all the staff we encountered were friendly and hard working. The majority of bars are outside, the sports bar is open fronted so lacking air con in all bar areas except the pre dinner bar but unfortunately people keep leaving the door open so it's hard to keep cool unless you are in one of the A la carte restaurants or your room. All the outside bars serve drinks in plastic glasses which I understand from a safety point of view but feels cheap. Try to save a roll from breakfast and walk up to the lagoon about 300 yards or so to the left of this hotel and feed the fish, it's really tranquil here. Finally I would say we stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach last year and it was great, that was a 5 star, this hotel I'm afraid is not. If your looking for a good beach and snorkelling/diving head to Akumel, don't come here. If your already booked, use the lagoon.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple