New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #36 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Coppell, Texas, United States
“Not a great experience!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

We thought we'd try the all-inclusive vacation. The pros: the hotel is clean, and the beach is great. The cons: The food is awful!! Very bland, and although lots of choices, all the bread items were stale, and most of it you wouldn't want to eat based on the presentation alone. I am an adventurous eater, and honestly, the food tasted terrible. Very disappointed in the "bottom shelf" watered down drinks and only ONE choice of beer: Dos XX light. Really?? When I go on vacation, I like to enjoy a nice cocktail. After 5 of their weak drinks, and little effect, I gave up. The rooms we requested were not correct, and after trying to resolve it, still the hotel got it wrong. Would never recommend this place, sorry!! I'd look elsewhere if your vacation dollars are important to you.

Room Tip: Even though we requested a King, they gave us two doubles. The TV didn't work, and the mattress...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Keith M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (950)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

I cannot say enough positive things , the service was wonderful , the food was excellent , and the location is simply supurb. we have also stayed at the riu palace mexico , and both are fantastic but we prefer this pool.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank SunriseFitness
Surrey, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel from March 12 to March 19, a group of seven, four adults and three children. We chose this hotel because of previous visits to the Riu Palace Pacifico in Puerto Vallarta, that had been most enjoyable.
Up until the last day it had been a great trip, but unfortunately on our last evening there I discovered that two rings were missing from my bedside table drawer. My fault I know, I should have used the safe. But if you read an earlier review, even a safe had been broken into.
A security person was sent to our room and a data reading was taken from the door lock to see who had entered the room recently. I was supposed to meet with the head of security the next day, but he didn't show up before we left for the airport. I had filled out a standard loss/theft form given to me by the manager and was handed a copy.
On returning home I started the process of making a claim with my insurance company. Not feeling the copy of said form would be enough, I emailed the manager Anilu Garza Escobedo asking for the report that their head of security was supposedly going to give me at the meeting that didn't happen. After a period of time and no response, I emailed again. No response again. So after waiting a few more days I sent another email, you guessed it, no response. By this time it's not about the theft, it's about the complete lack of customer care from the Riu. I then phoned down to speak to Anilu on three separate occasions, for various reasons she was never available. Nor did she have the courtesy to return my phone calls. A bad experience has now turned into a disaster! My travel agent then got involved and although she did get responses from higher up the chain, it took several weeks to find out that very little was discovered from the reading of the door lock.
The one saving grace from all this, is that my insurance company have been excellent and my rings are being replaced. They deem that a locked hotel room "should be a safe place to leave ones valuables and not using the supplied safe doesn't affect the claim".
I travel at least three or four times a year with my wife and sometimes extended family, but I will not, however much I have enjoyed them in the past, be using a Riu hotel or resort again, even though management has now offered me a "free" upgrade on my next visit! Thanks, but no thanks!

Room Tip: Use the supplied safe.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank oldsunlover
CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the resort from June 8-12, 2012. We were greeted by the front desk staff who offered us drinks upon arrival. The ambience of this resort is awesome. We have stayed in several hotels/resorts over the years and this one is definitely of of the best! The beach was fantastic, and the food was great. We loved the staff, especially Joe, Noe, Israel and Suemy (the pool girl). Wonderful people! We can't wait to bring our kids next year!! Thanks Riu for a fantastic vacation.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hotelbrat7
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

This was our 2nd visit to this hotel. The hotel property is just beautiful and so clean. The beach is terrific and there are plenty of chairs so you never have to worry about that. We didn't spend alot of time at the pool. Nothing against people having fun because this is vacation but if you didn't have a huge booze filled big gulp thermos that you brought from home you were the odd man out. The beach was much quieter and laid back.

The staff is so nice, welcoming, hard working and always smiling with the exception of the front desk staff, who lead by Jose Luiz one of the RUDEST hospitality employees I have ever met in my 30+ years of traveling professionally for work. We were reprimanded by him for booking the "cheapest" rooms and expecting that we would have a view better than the wall we had. He said our travel agent was the problem and that perhaps they were not professional. I would hardly say American Express Gold Travel is a shoddy group. He embarrassed us in front of his staff and the other guests in the lobby trying to make us out to be cheapskates. We booked 3 months in advance and were paying much more than the discounted rate offered by the RIU website the week prior to our arrival. Maybe Islas, Javier or Jesus in the lobby bar could give Jose Luiz and the whole front desk staff a lesson in hospitality!!! Those gentlemen really know how to make a guest feel welcomed!

On a brighter note.......the location of the hotel makes it easy to walk (15 mins) to the shops in Playa Del Carmen or to the ferry to Cozumel. It is in a lovely neighborhood so you can get out and walk around. The food is good and we ate in all the restaurants. Krystal was the best. The Salsa and guacamole are incredible!! Alberto the waiter was very nice along with the manager whose name I can't remember.

There is entertainment during the evening and the staff works hard to make it fun.

The spa treatments are great but the facility itself is very basic.

Room Tip: Bring a few bounce dryer sheets to put in your drawers or closet. The rooms are musty and this will...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#24 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,698 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK