“Great Time!”

Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #49 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here March 9 - 14 with two other couples. We are all thirty-somethings that like to relax on our vacations and have a good time. This is the second year in a row that we have went to the RIU Palace Rivieria Maya. The service at this resort is amazing. The entire staff waits on you hand and foot. It has a nice beach area and is a brief walk (or a $7 cab ride) to downtown Playa del Carmen. It is in a gated community so we always felt safe. There is also a market area with a Starbucks that you can walk to within 5-10 minutes in this gated community. The room is a decent size however it does have a musty smell (same smell as last year). The food is pretty good, my only complaint is the lunches become boring (almost the same menu for lunch each day). We really enjoyed the steakhouse (Chili's) for dinner. Other member of our group thought that Krystal's was the best. We all had a great trip!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank LindsT08

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Our family ( wife, 2 kids ages 8 and 9, parents, sisters and husbands) just gt back from our stay. The service is fantastic and responsive if you are a reasonable person. My daughter celebrated her 8th birthday while we were there and my mother in law her 60th. The staff did a fantastic job making sure their days were fantastic.

The food was very good. Buffet was well presented, extensive, and fresh. Botofogo, Chilis, and Agave were all good but limited selections. TIP - contact them before you get there to make up to 2 reservations. Fusion and Japenese are hardest to get so if you want them, these may be the ones to request prior to arrival. The others seemed to have room when we ate there and the resort was at 90% capacity.

Bar service was generally good, especially around the pool. The beach was limited or non-existent. TIP - bring your insulated cup. We do whenever we travel south. You can get more quantity and it stays cold instead of turning warm in 10 minutes.

The beach was one of the largest and best we have been to. Our kids had no trouble swimming in the ocean and our parents had no problem finding chairs in the shade under a palm tree. The sand was clean and well maintained.

The location was great. A short walk to Playa del Carmen for those that want the amenities of a city or to ferry to Cozumel. A 10 minute walk South for our morning Starbucks fix or some shopping. A nice safe neighborhood in which to have a morning run as well. The resort was about 45 minutes from the airport.

My only apprehension prior to going was whether this resort would seem to formal or not friendly for the kids. Though not a lot of kids were here while we were, in no way did we feel out of place.

I am a compulsive researcher prior to traveling and have utilized this site for years. I have learned to take negative reviews with a grain of salt, as these are usually people with unrealistic expectations and let small things ruin their vacation. Though bad experiences happen, I would take my chances with this place and would not hesitate to book a trip here.

• Stayed: March 2012
9  Thank knsthompson
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We had a family vacation in october 2011, family flew in from the UK to meet myself and my partner ages ranged from 19-60 years old, 8 of us in total.
Pros:
nice beach and pool
Fantastic location you could walk into Playa De Carmen and around Playa Car which has little markets scattered around
Beautiful hotel, quite grand looking
nice room with mini bar
pretty good service
Cons:
Maid service was a little spotty sometimes (no big deal)
Unfortunatly we had awful weahter for the last 4 days out of 7, I was quite disappointed in the fact that the hotel didn't provide much in the way of entertainment for the bad weather days, you couldn't go into town or walk anywhere as it poured non stop for the four days, with the lack of entertainment there really wasn't much to do other than the sports bar which after a day or two is a little too much.
I am not an overly picky eater but have to say I didn't find the food that great, buffet was fine but I can't say I thoroughly enjoyed any of the restaurants.
Booking restaurants wasn't too difficult considering there were 8 of us.

Would for sure return to the Playacar area, but would try one of the other hotels.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank seaton2770
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here March 8-11 and we very please, but there were some things that could have been better. I am not a negative person but I will give an honest review.

First the good
1)Facilities are top notch, rooms were very spacious, bathrooms were large
2)Each room has a mini bar
3)Evening meals were excellent
4)Service was top notch, it was common to see 6 bartenders behind the bar, never had to wait. The people that work here seem to really love their job.
5)Take the time to get the catamaran training and reserve one everyday. It was awesome to go miles out into the ocean and experience the dark water,(which we were advised not to do). My wife lost her left contact the first day and her right the second, it was intense.
6) The beach was the best, you could sit about 60m off the water and be covered by the shade of palms trees.
7)The pool was huge, we spent most of our time by the ocean but would recommend a afternoon at the swim up bar.
8) The evenings on the resort were very nice, always had some live entertainment in the well lit courtyard area. Waiter Service was great
9)The resort area is gated and there is a shopping area about 1/3 mile away for souvenirs, never did we feel unsafe. If you want to go off the resort area, fifth avenue is where to go to experience the Mexican market. At first it looks very Americanized, but walk a little further and you will get to the haggling area where local residents run their shops and try hard to get you into their shop to buy something. it was a $7 cab ride. I recommend it.

Could have been better-
1)Rooms did smell musty, it kinda of reminded me of my experience of sleeping in the cabins at church camp. (this one time at church camp..........)
2)You had to plan ahead your dinner meals, reservations were needed at all evening restaurants. Not all restaurants were open everyday for dinner, so we didnt get to eat at all of them.
3)The restaurant "Chilis" was swarming with birds during the day just waiting to snag a fry or bread crumb, kinda freak the ladies out. At night it was better.
4)The view from our room was not great, couldnt even hear the ocean or see the courtyard. Just some palm trees and roof tops next door. Very few rooms are ocean view.

This is my honest review. Overall we had a really good experience, I would definitely go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank bmartin30
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Riu Palace is in the Playacar area which we'd never been in before. Gated area filled with resorts and stand alone homes all packed together, so walking out of the property was easy and was only a 20-30 minute stroll into Playa del Carmen with all the shops & the dock to Cozumel. Resort was very similar to Riu in Guanacaste, Costa Rica which we visited in Dec 2011...identical room furnishings, in-room liquor dispensor, etc. Our room overlooked the courtyard which we liked. Weather was perfect! Grounds are very well maintained and beach was great - plenty of chairs, plenty of palm trees for shade, good service by the pool bar staff who bring trays of drinks for you to choose from, or will take your order. The swim up bar area can get crazy, but the adjacent raised infinity pool was really nice. A few vendors walk the beach selling hats, jewelry and sunglasses, but few and far between and not a nuisance. The size of the resort was smaller than what we've been in previously, but that made getting to your room that much easier/faster. Dinner at the Mexican restaurant was VERY good (had the combo fajitas) and the Brazilan house was a fun experience.

Service was very good, particulary Santos and Pedro, bartenders at the pool bar (and elsewhere!). All the staff did a great job. Our Apple representatives were very good too, arranging everything from the airport transfers to the Tulum trip and calling the room the night before departure to remind us when they'd be there. Overall, we had a great time!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends