“Great”

Saffron
Ranked #71 of 1,367 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Banyan Tree's signature restaurant, serves authentic Thai cuisine. Sitting on a wooden deck overlooking the tropical mangroves.
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We went to the Thai food festival at this place with friends, our welcome cocktail was a "Jamaica" margarita (hibiscus), at all times our waiter and sommeliers took a great care of us. Dinner was fantastic as well as service. A little misunderstanding with check at the end but Daniela Almazan kindly took care of everything. For sure we'll be back soon!

1  Thank alexstar8a

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

We stayed at Banyan Tree and ate at all of the restaurants as well as some ate Rosewood and the Fairmont. This was our favorite. We caught one of the Thai Food Festival nights with a set menu for $100 w/alcohol which was very good! The fixed menu was unique and really delicious. We did not have an opportunity to try standard menu.

Everything is pricey in Mayakoba, but worth it. We had to go inside due to rain, but was still really enjoyable and the service was top notch. I highly recommend.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Went here to try something different as we are not big Asian or Thai food eaters. We had the chicken/beef satay for starter and the yellow chicken curry and beef noodles for main, no desserts. The food was nice and flavours tasty, we had house water. In total it came to £84, personally thought it was expensive for a few noodles and a bit of rice. We sat inside as Mosquitos attack you outside and felt less of a personal touch, also some guests in the eating area were quite noisy and others had children making noise, I understand not the fault of the venue of course. I think they have too many seats crammed into the small inside area for you to have your own space. The service was just ok nothing to brag about. Overall an average experience and will not be returning.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

This was not the first time we visited Saffron, we go every year, sometimes twice a year. I love Thai food and this place has the best asian food in the area.Because the place is food and quite popular, reservations are quite difficult to get, so I will advise you to make reservations ahead of time, specially if you have a large party.

We have been to the restaurant at different times, but this time, we made a reservation at 7:30 p.m. for dinner, it got dark pretty quick, so if you want to enjoy the lagoon view and avoid many mosquitos, opt for an earlier time.

We were greeted by the hostess with a big smile, put a flower in our (only ladies) hair, and offered us some bug spray. We were seated outside right on the lagoon, the only lighting was the candlelight at each table, so looking at the menu was a bit difficult. The setting is simply amazing, on a tranquil mangrove lagoon at Banyan Tree Mayakoba

I love seating outside and look at the lagoon, however because it was during dusk, there were a lot of mosquitos! and even if you put insect repellent, you will probably still get bitten.

Service was really good for the first half, then our waiter kind of disappeared. Once more people started coming in, service was slow. It was hard to catch anyone's eye.

The food is really good, but in my opinion it is bit pricey for Thai food, but definitely worth it though!

Reviewed 22 August 2017

I had the Thai 7 courses and paid over 100USD no alcohol. It was good but pricey for Thai food. Nice restaurant but because it was over a lagoon during the night mosquitoes were out :( I sat inside and they still got in and definitely didn't help my overall experience - It was so unbearable that I had them togo and I left!

1  Thank Bao N