“Great food and stunning setting”
Review of Saffron

Saffron
Ranked #82 of 1,312 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Banyan Tree's signature restaurant, serves authentic Thai cuisine. Sitting on a wooden deck overlooking the tropical mangroves.
Reviewed 26 August 2017

This was not the first time we visited Saffron, we go every year, sometimes twice a year. I love Thai food and this place has the best asian food in the area.Because the place is food and quite popular, reservations are quite difficult to get, so I will advise you to make reservations ahead of time, specially if you have a large party.

We have been to the restaurant at different times, but this time, we made a reservation at 7:30 p.m. for dinner, it got dark pretty quick, so if you want to enjoy the lagoon view and avoid many mosquitos, opt for an earlier time.

We were greeted by the hostess with a big smile, put a flower in our (only ladies) hair, and offered us some bug spray. We were seated outside right on the lagoon, the only lighting was the candlelight at each table, so looking at the menu was a bit difficult. The setting is simply amazing, on a tranquil mangrove lagoon at Banyan Tree Mayakoba

I love seating outside and look at the lagoon, however because it was during dusk, there were a lot of mosquitos! and even if you put insect repellent, you will probably still get bitten.

Service was really good for the first half, then our waiter kind of disappeared. Once more people started coming in, service was slow. It was hard to catch anyone's eye.

The food is really good, but in my opinion it is bit pricey for Thai food, but definitely worth it though!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

I had the Thai 7 courses and paid over 100USD no alcohol. It was good but pricey for Thai food. Nice restaurant but because it was over a lagoon during the night mosquitoes were out :( I sat inside and they still got in and definitely didn't help my overall experience - It was so unbearable that I had them togo and I left!

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Yum! Favorite dish was the Chu Chee Pla!
Of course, the outside seating was beautiful, surrounded by tranquil waters and nature!
Already want to go back!
Marcos was our server, he was charming and knowledgeable! Thank you Marcos!

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and two other couples booked reservations to Saffron last night. Upon arrival we were greeted with excellent service. As we waited for the rest of our party to arrive in reception we were offered drinks and clean hand towels without hesitation.

As locals to the area Saffron offers one of few fine dining yet a relaxed restaurants in the Riviera.

From the wine, appetizers, main course (Pad Thai - best I have had), to the desert the Thai cuisine was second to none. Even more so the service was impecable.

We will be returning

Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

As we sit here sweating inside in the "air conditioning" the hostess recommended, we still don't have our entrees. Amuse Bouche was average. Appetizer sampler recommended by server had Ice cold chicken satay. Server was great and returned the Ice cold chicken for hot chicken. Still haven't received second course and been here 90 minutes, as we sweat. Not sure if the last seating means poor service and bad food. Absolutely not worth the price they charge or the "exclusivity" they allude to.

1  Thank Heather T