“Loved the Luna Blue, once again!”
Review of Luna Blue Hotel

Luna Blue Hotel
Ranked #98 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We've stayed at the Luna Blue several times over the years, but this was our first time since the pool has been finished. It is such a wonderful addition! It's so nice that just a few steps away is the bar if you need a cerveza or your room if you need a siesta! The live music at night was great and brought in a lot of people. Jorge, the bartender, was great as always and makes the best margarita that I've ever had. The rest of the staff was helpful and friendly as well. Our room was very large and cleaned well each day. The AC worked great and the beds are some of the more comfortable that I've slept in while visiting Mexico. The location is perfect...everything you need-whether it's beach, bars, restaurants, shopping, or the more local restaurants and stores-are all within walking distance.

Room Tip: We loved the convenience of having a room with a full kitchen.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank saritab77
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

We have traveled to Mexico a few times and always did the all-inclusive. We decided to try a regular hotel this time and thankfully we found the best one – Luna Blue. We found it via Trip Advisor and booked through Expedia. With hotel, air, food, drink (we did not skimp on what we wanted), we ended up $200 - $400 than the other all –inclusives we had previously been to.

We had a garden view deluxe room as we had 3 adults. It has a trundle bed so we all had a bed to ourselves. Room included a kitchenette with a decent size fridge, sink, stove and 4 seat table. We hit the Mega grocery store the first day and got a few things, mostly for breakfast and snacks. Bottled water is provided in the room and it was great to fill our bottles and have them cold in the fridge. Bathroom had a large storage area which was appreciated. No closet, but an armoire and side tables held the rest of our items. Another set of shelves in the main area would have been nice. Room was cleaned daily, front desk was managed by Alex who is very helpful, bar pours a great drink and there is live music some nights which stops at 11. The cats, Freddy and Oso are very friendly and visit you.

Breakfast was coffee, tea and a few types of breads which we supplemented with yogurt and fruit. Then, the tough decision for the day – what beach club to go to! Luna Blue has arrangements with 4 of them and we went to all. Just ask Alex for a pass when you pick up your towels every day. Mamitas = closest, no food minimums, food was just OK, nice bathrooms. Grand Coral = taxi needed, very quiet, 2 pools, great food. Wicky’s = our favorite, bit of a walk, food minimum, nice chairs, watch where the speakers are or you can’t chat, large portions of food; Canibal Royal = bit of a walk, nice palm trees, food OK, music too loud at 10am, fun bathrooms!

At night, you are ½ a block from the main restaurant and shopping street. How wonderful to have a wide choice of restaurants and bars. Playa del Carmen has really upgraded itself since we visited 2 years ago. We were highly impressed. The service, the lighting, the decorations all fit and make sense. It also has amazing Italian food – go figure! We always felt safe no matter what time of the day or night we were out. Well done, Playa!

We will definitely be back to Playa and will stay for sure at the Luna Blue. I can see where all inclusives in remote areas like Tulum are still necessary, but if you are staying in Playa, book at Luna Blue, save yourself some money and enjoy!

Room Tip: Garden deluxe room has 3 beds and nice kitchenette
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank bequiagirl
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I just got back from the Luna Blue, this place was beautiful, the Garden's were so relaxing & the staff were amazing. We stayed at the The Treetop Terrace Rooms, they are the higher range in price, so I thought we were getting the best in comfort, until I layed down on the bed. It was like my old Futon in college, hard as Rock. It took me over an hour to fall asleep & when I woke up I had major lower back pain. The next night same deal, so I went outside, covered my self in repellent & slept on the hammock on the deck. The hammock was better, but I didn't feel to good in the morning either. This was my only complaint but to me, sleeping in comfort is a big one for me & my wife.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Staying at Luna Blue is like a college reunion. Many, many repeat visitors that keep in touch with each other during the year. The owners and staff are fantastic. Their advice on where to eat, drink, shop, beach, etc. are based on your needs, not because they get kickbacks.
The variety of room types run the gamut from small and cozy to large with a kitchen. Just ask and they will steer you right. When I met the cats "Frankie" and "Oso" (bear) I knew I was in the right place for me.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank fmiller13
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Great hotel in Playa. Good room - we had one with a kitchenette on the third floor and we loved it. The hotel have a great garden and 3 lovely cats - one came visit us one night when we cook shrimps..... great balcony whit a hamac... what a great idea for a nap..... Staff very helpfull if you need something - they call for us at the Xel-Ha for specific information. Very great location you are 4 minutes from the beach and surround by restaurant and all. We recommand this place.

Room Tip: ask for a room upstairs because you will have a great balcony and it will be a little more private
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple