“Home Away From Home”

Ranked #102 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
KC
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My husband and I just returned from our first stay at the Playa Maya and I guarantee we will be back. On our three previous visits to the area we stayed at a nearby all-inclusive and while we enjoyed our stays there, this was a completely different experience in so many ways.

By staying at Playa Maya, we were forced to branch out in search of food and drink and we discovered so many great places to eat and just hang out with a drink or two. The Playa Maya, located directly on the beach, was also a popular spot where locals would stop for the day and it was enjoyable to watch their little ones at play in the sand and water.

The staff of the Playa Maya went way above and beyond to make our stay remarkable. Yuls, Marie and Pablo at the front desk were always cheerful and ready with helpful advice or just a hello, good morning, how was your day, etc. The guys on the beach were eager to help, beginning with breakfast, followed by drinks or munchies enjoyed under our umbrella on the beach. It doesn't get any better than this. The hotel was very clean, our room spacious and we didn't want for anything the entire week. Like I said, we will be back.

7 Thank KcDoglover
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Devon
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I read the reviews for this hotel assiduously before I booked, and had high expectations. Needless to say, Playa Maya lived up to the reviews, and I have only praise for the staff and management, for making our holiday so fantastic. The deluxe balcony room was spotless, spacious and had everything we needed. The shower was wonderful, there were free drinks in the fridge and bottled water was provided daily. My daughter and I both had special towel art creations on our birthdays, which were a really lovely touch. The food was really good, great breakfast every day and excellent lunch choices.
I knew the hotel would be fantastic, the only thing we were nervous about was the beach, as several reviews had been critical of the location, mentioning noise, fumes, access etc. Well, each to their own, but the fact that the area directly in front of the loungers was a bit rocky was not a problem, unless you are incapable of walking 20 feet to the right or left to get into the water. Somebody mentioned the seaweed as being a problem, but failed to mention the fact that groups of men rake up all seaweed into piles and bury them, several times a day, leaving the beach spotless. I have only praise for the way the beach is managed, and wish that people would accept that sand is washed in and out, and this means that some days there is more beach than on others. We never found it a problem, the sun loungers were extremely comfortable, and it was a joy to be able to sit in such a prime location.
In conclusion, we loved every minute of our stay at Playa Maya. It's a fab little hotel and we would love to come back someday soon.
Thank you, Stephen Ryberg and the team, for making our holiday so utterly memorable.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank KB2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 12 July 2012

What can I say other than I LOVE THIS HOTEL. This was our 2nd stay & it was just as wonderful as the 1st. The top 3 things anyone should look for in a hotel is cleanliness, good customer service & safety - this hotel exceeds all 3 & then some. Not only does this hotel have the best location on the beach, but the staff is even better - yes they are that great! Breakfast with your toes in the sand cannot be beat. We would follow breakfast by grabbing a beach chair & watch the city go by. I love being able to run up to the room when necessary & it's just a few steps away. & in the evenings, you are just a short walk away from many fabulous restaurants & nightlife. We will be staying at Playa Maya again & definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a fabulous vacation in Playa Del Carmen. You will NOT be disappointed.

8 Thank Solful1
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I thought , after our third stay at Playa Maya, that I would find someplace else I liked better by virtue of location, etc. Well, I talked to several people and looked around a lot over the last three years and no one could tell me anything to make me think there is a better place for me. This is absolutely the biggest bang for the buck if you want a great location AND beachfront. We now plan on making our once a year trip into a twice a year trip. What I miss most upon returning home is the wonderful (included) breakfast every morning under the palapa, toes in the sand, listening to the waves. Following breakfast we enjoyed the complementary (and comfy) beach loungers with and without an umbrella while watching the beautiful Caribbean and people strolling by. One of the strengths of this place is the staff. The same wonderful people are there to serve you year after year. The service is always friendly, professional and efficient. Our room (301) was similar to other rooms we've had there. It was spacious, spotless and has everything you need. There is ample cabinet and drawer space for storage. Even our luggage was tucked-away and out of sight. There are 80ish cable channels on the wall-mounted flat screen TV. Most are in Spanish but several have English sub-titles and a few are in English. There's a mini-fridge for beer, water, etc. The room safe gave us some piece of mind, but really this a very safe place. There is only one way in and out and there is always someone there to see who is coming in and going out. We took a day trip and came back 10 hour later to discover we had not completely closed our room door. NOTHING was missing. Thanks to all the staff for another great vacation!

6 Thank RedfishDave
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed 4 July 2012 via mobile

We spent one week at the hotel and we had a fantastic time: you access the hotel from the beach and it is just perfectly located in playa (we couldn't find a better spot in playa). The staff is so friendly, helpful and they would really make sure you have a good time. Breakfast is good too... And specially nice to have it in front of the sea. I would highly recommand it if you want to have a good time in Mexico !!!

• Stayed June 2012