“Fantastic location”

Ranked #100 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Brisbane, Australia
“Fantastic location”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed at Playa Maya for 3 nights in March. The hotel is in a great location, right on the beach and close to a lot of restaurants. The hotel staff were always very friendly and willing to assist. We had a room on the 3rd floor and enjoyed the elevated view out to the ocean. The Fusion restaurant nearby was great for a few drinks and live music right on the beach.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor rooms have great views of the beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank bpbm
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Black Hills
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We just came back from six nights at the Playa Maya. Having two kids ages 12 & 13, we were initially disappointed to learn the family suite was booked, however, the economy suite suggested by Stephen turned out to be perfect. We had two rooms with two baths and four beds! No, there wasn't a view from our room, but we spent the entire day sitting on the beach so we didn't care. Rooms were very clean and everything was in order.

All of the staff were friendly and efficient. Lorenzo was especially great. They never pestered us but were always nearby if we happened to want to order a drink or lunch.

Speaking of food, the breakfast was completely satisfactory. The lunch was even better. I favored the ceviche mixto while my daughter preferred the octopus tacos. My husband and other daughter were crazy for the fish tacos. Good and reasonable and we didn't need to leave the hotel until the evening when we would go out to eat.

We would definitely recommend this place to all our friends.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank BlackHillsSovia
united states
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Although I have been to PDC many times, I was not sure where to stay since this was my first solo trip. I made a wonderful choice in Playa Maya. The room was clean and large, the staff was incredibly friendly and I felt safe and welcome. The hotel is in the center of town, right on the beach and a block away from virtually anything. Even though the nightlife was alive all around, the room was quiet and spacious and the bed was surprisingly comfortable. I met up with my night owl friends and the location made it very easy to go anywhere. I am first and foremost a beach vacationer and it was fantastic to get a free breakfast right on the sand under the palapas. The water is still beautiful and warm, however if you have been to PDC before - note that most of the beach in this location has eroded, exposing rocks. I was still able to enjoy lounging on the beach chairs, but kids wanting to play in the sand had a very small area to do so. Swimming is also still possible, you just need to be careful to pick a path in and out.

My reservations about the beach paled in comparison to the rest of the hotel - great food, helpful staff, fresh beach towels every morning and new towel animals on my bed every night. It was the perfect, relaxing trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank 2dkdkd
Franklinton, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed for our 20th anniversary, initially we could not get the room we wanted (deluxe balcony) because it was high season and there was a 5 night minimum and we could only say 4 nights, but due to a cancellation a short stay was available (check their website site frequently for short stays and specials). I made the reservations via email and Mr. Ryberg was very responsive to all my questions. My initial inquiry was not responded to, but when I tried again Mr. Ryberg apologized and after that there were no problems. All the positive reviews are accurate in my opinion. This is a great place if you want to be on the beach, nice views of the ocean and Cozumel, walking distance to everything in Playa but still have a nice, safe, quiet place to relax when you have had enough of the hectic pace of 5th Ave. As others have said, this is not a 5 star luxury hotel or all inclusive so if that is what you like do not stay here unless you want to try something different. We like smaller more intimate places and like to venture out and try a variety of places to eat and drink (quality over quantity).
Upon arrival, our bed was decorated with rose petals and the number 20 spelled out in them with two “towel swans” and numerous tissue flowers. I did not ask for this but did say in my email to Mr. Ryberg that we were celebrating our anniversary so he must have told staff. I agree that the cleaning staff (Fidel and others), wait staff (Carlos and Luciano) and desk staff (Maria and others) are very good at what they do. They are attentive but not overbearing, they take the lead from you, if you want attention they give it but if they sense you like to be left alone they will do so, but all you have to do is ask and they will be there to help. Rooms are clean and in good shape especially considering the age of the building, filtered water is available free of charge and you have an in room mini fridge for saving leftovers or keeping cold beer on hand.
WE were on the second of three floors and the view was fine but with some obstructions from adjacent buildings, I think the third floor would be the best. I believe there are only 4 deluxe balcony rooms in the entire hotel. The balcony was perfect for 2 people to sit on and have morning coffee or afternoon drinks. The included breakfast was great, I especially liked the American breakfast with juice, coffee, toast, eggs and ham. The fish tacos, ceviche and coconut shrimp were some of the best we had in Mexico and the beer and mixed drinks were strong and fairly priced. Beach towels, a lounger and umbrella are included and you have a guaranteed space unlike the big resorts where you have to wake up at 7am to save a spot (not my idea of a vacation). The beach is not as good as Tulum or some in Cancun, but as good or better than any others in Playa except maybe Mamitas, but not as crowded and you can walk to Mamitas easily if you like. If all you want is a nice spot to wade in and cool off it is fine. There is seaweed along the beach but that seems to be common in Playa, probably because of the healthy ecosystem between it and Cozumel along the reef.
I would not recommend this place for someone who has “mobility issues” since the only entrance/exit is along the beach and the hotel has no elevators. As others have said if the staff sees you (and if you give Mr. Ryberg a heads up on when you plan to arrive they will be looking for you), they will come running to help you with your bags. I had barely stepped off the end of Calle 8 (8th street) when two of the staff looked up from 100’ away and said “playa maya?”, when I nodded yes they were there in an instant. Check in was smooth and fast.
I would definitely stay here again. If you are unsure, read a lot of the reviews and I believe you will get an accurate picture of what the Playa Maya is all about.
The only reason I did not give 5 stars is that I have never given any location 5 stars overall.

Room Tip: If you want the best views get the deluxe balcony and ask for the 3rd floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kmartinncemc
Illinois
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Great staff, great location, beautiful location on beach, I would stay here again only if they updated the rooms and bathrooms.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends