We had a great time at the GRAND Coco bay. We had a late arrival to the hotel. The staff rushed out, expecting us. We were told that they were wondering where we were! "Hello Family! Welcome home!".. Does not get any better than that. A glass of Champagne and a beach front upgrade for the evening and we were set.
We wanted two rooms next to each other as the kids had thier own room. We were two rooms apart with the promise of fixing this the following day.
Having the ground floor Ocean front rooms, we were staying put! How nice to be able to be on the beach from your Balcony!
The staff were very friendly. We Loved Omar and Miguel on the buffett. Victor at the front was great. He told us he was sad when we were leaving. :)
All in all a great little resort. If you are looking for a nig resort, this is not the place for you. If you want small, personalized service, a great view, close to 5th ave with good food and a good pool this is the place for you!
A few tidbits:
Oceanfront rooms: Yes you get a black wrist band WHEN YOU PAY for the upgrade. Honestly I am not sure I would pay the extra a second time. You do "get a cabanna".. But what you REALLY get is the use of one FREE of charge. You DO have to line up at the front desk every morning to "book one".. We never did get the one right out front of our room. Really silly, and honestly I think It is something that NEEDS to change. I was irritated by that.
Also the ground floor rooms did not have the nice chairs on the balcony, they had the hard plastic ones. I don't understand why.
Being that this is an older resort there are not enough plugs in the room. We had an alarm clock in the room, but there were only 2 plugs. One for the TV and 1 for the mini fridge. We had to charge stuff in the bathroom.
The WiFi is not free. Would be nice with the upgraded rooms that it was included.
Food was good. One of the better snack bars I've seen at an AI. Nice that the buffett was different theme every night. Gave you a lot of variety without going to different places. We did try the Italian. It was nice to do "upscale" without having to pay for it.
Yes, there are some beat up lounge chairs that need to be replaced, but there were plenty of them around the beach and the pool to choose from at all times of the day.
The grounds are always being cleaned & swept. You feel very safe with the security gaurds on site.
Go for a walk, enjoy the massage up the beach.. The Ocean is soo beautiful I was in it by 8:30 some mornings!
Say "Hola" to the staff there from us!
I would not trade the beachfront AI resort with the proximity to 5th ave for a bigger resort.
I can see us going back here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 30 miles south of Cancun, The Reef Cococbeach is the perfect compliment to the white sandy beaches and turquoise waters of this world renowned tropical paradise. Just a short walk from the picturesque town of Playa del Carmen, you will enjoy our personalized service, the privacy you desire in a resort destination and the entertainment of one of the best night life's the Mayan Riviera has to offer.Our location provides easy access to the many attractions the Mayan Riviera has to offer such as Playa del Carmen's famous 5th avenue, Playacar's Bird Sanctuary, Playacar Golf Club, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Tulum and much, much more.The hotel offers 196 comfortable rooms Caribbean style, our pleasant rooms consist of one king size bed or two double beds, terrace or balcony, air conditioning, ceiling fan, mini fridge, TV,hair dryer, vanity mirror, telephone and bath room with bahttub and shower combination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your The Reef Coco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Coco Bay Mexico
- Grand Coco Bay Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Riviera Maya
- The Reef Coco Beach Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen