“Loud, couldn't sleep”

Hotel Boutique Posada Mariposa
Ranked #116 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 13 March 2012

If you're not planning on sleeping at your hotel this is the place for you. Located in the heart of Playa del Carmen, the hotel was very inexpensive, there's no real seal on the room. Our room was a papala style on the roof so the partying all night could have been really in our bedroom! Not for us.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James T
MariposaGroup, Operations Manager at Hotel Boutique Posada Mariposa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear guest, as well you said our hotel is located in the very heart of Playa del Carmen in the world famous 5th avenue, public place of both the people and shops, restaurants, is the most emblematic street of Playa del Carmen and perhaps of the Riviera Maya. Avenue gives color and life to the tourist center, being the best way to enjoy the idiosyncrasies of Mexico, is full of sounds, tastes, Life! . At the time of your visit this life becomes more evident by year-end parties and New Year.
Even with the isolation of the rooms these sounds reach them, we regret that in selecting the dates do not consider this event, and will result in inconvenience to you, usually our hotel despite the proximity of this vital artery is a very quiet and comfortable in your indoor garden can enjoy peace with lots of vegetation and sounds of spring water that makes you forget the hectic tour life.
especially the location of the room you mention in the rooftop terrace and private solarium is the most requested by our customers.
We would welcome another time you give us the pleasure of visiting our hotel, away from holiday dates for you to enjoy the peace it deserves.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Hotel Boutique Posada Mariposa

Reviewed 8 March 2012

This was my 6th vacation to Playa Del Carmen and I have stayed at different boutique hotels located in different areas of downtown Playa every time.

I stayed at the Posada Mariposa during the first week of December 2011 for 4 nights. I got a great rate($62/night through Hotels.com) for the rooftop Palapa suite and although the mattress was somewhat uncomfortable, the beautiful suite, the rooftop terrace, the friendly staff and great location made it a great value! I felt it was such a great value that before I left, I reserved and paid a deposit for the same Palapa suite for my return in February of 2012 for 3 nights. (The hotel was able to give me a rate of $100/night which I thought was fair)

When I arrived in February, upon check in, I was given the key to a different room they called the Master Suite! When I argued that I had reserved and paid for the Palapa suite, I even showed them my deposit receipt that indicated the Palapa Suite, their reply was "I'm sorry but that room is occupied for two weeks by someone else". I was also told that I would have no choice but to wait until the following day to discuss the matter with the reservation manager.

The room(Master Suite) I was provided was basic. The bathroom was plain and simple, It had no balcony, no cozy mexican feel like the Palapa suite but it did have a full size refrigerator, kitchenette and kitchen table. The bed in this room was also hard and uncomfortable.

When I met with the reservation manager the next day about the room mixup, his only answer was "I'm sorry but it was entered wrong in the computer" His resolution was to refund me approximately $25 per night, upgrade my breakfast to full rather than Continental and do something "special" in my room for valentines day.
I'm not one to cause a scene and argue too much so rather than let it ruin my holiday, I accepted the resolution and stayed the remaining 2 nights rather than try finding another hotel.
So with the $25/day discount off the price that I had reserved with back in December, the price per night for this "Master suite" as they called it, was $75/night(Acceptable). Their "regular" price as listed in the hotel for this room at this time of year was posted to be $140/night(rip-off)
The room was just ok, the "Full" breakfast" was a VERY basic choice of 4 different combinations off the menu at the restaurant called "Vagabunda" across the street. Not what I would call a FULL breakfast. Oh and the "Something Special" that I was promised in the room on valentines day?.. Never happened. Surprise!

All in all, I was disappointed with my stay at the Posada Mariposa this time around. My belief is that I was bumped from the Palapa Suite for someone who was willing to take the room for 14 days as opposed to my 3. It was a smart business decision for them to do this, i understand that, but it's poor customer service and I will always remember that. This hotel is well located and fairly quiet although it really has nothing else to offer other that a clean basic room. No pool, a disappointing breakfast, no balconies and empty promises. Their rooms are way over priced and none of the rooms are worth more than $75/night at any given time, except MAYBE the Palapa Suite if you can handle alot of stairs and a hard bed.

The best part of my stay was checkout day where I walked about a block away and checked into the Riviera Del Sol where I had pre-booked my remaining 9 nights! What a gem!

Room Tip: Palapa suite is only really nice room but has ALOT of stairs and a hard bed. Do NOT pay more than $8...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChebertWinnipeg
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Our family stayed in Posada Mariposa for one week, but would have gone somewhere else if we could have after one night's stay. It's noisy - thank goodness I brought ear plugs, no screens in bathroom windows so mosquitoes come in, no pool and the courtyard is not comfortable to hang out in because the few chairs there are so uncomfortable. But the worst was, my sister forgot to put her engagement ring on before leaving her room and when she got back, it was gone from the box she'd placed it in. My cell phone charger went missing from my room two days later. Management was no help in trying to recover these things. The desk staff was always friendly to us, but I wouldn't stay here again if you paid me.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank WorldTravelers5561
MariposaGroup, Gerente de operacion at Hotel Boutique Posada Mariposa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Our staff offers the most sincere apologies for any inconvenience encountered during your stay, we have carefully followed every detail of your comments taking the necessary actions for their solution.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Posada Mariposa is a great value for its location right on Playa del Carmen’s northern popular 5th Avenue and close to Playa’s best beach. They offer free beach towels and a great deal on one of the best beach clubs - Mamita’s Beach Club (45 pesos). The lobby is cute and inviting and the staff is friendly. We stayed in room #10 on 3rd floor (no elevator). It is a really cool room with a vaulted palapa roof, very nice ensuite bathroom, refrig., cable TV, and A/C with a private balcony. Along mile-long 5th Avenue (Avenida Quinta), you can stroll a cobblestone-like pavement of shops, boutiques, intimate hotels, restaurants, and sidewalk cafes. Our days passed quickly enjoying the beach and people watching during the day and choosing among the scores of restaurants at night. From Playa you can take a ferry to the large island of Cozumel for its great beaches, diving, and Mexican cuisine.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WayneDunlap
MariposaGroup, operations manager at Hotel Boutique Posada Mariposa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

For our hotel and all our staff are delighted that your stay was so pleasant, that your holidays were at the height of his espectativas.nos like to see on the next visit was our guest again

Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is a delightful little hotel, the rooms are built around a central courtyard that is full of plants. The rooms have windows overlooking the courtyard so it feels like you are looking outside. The hotel is located on the pedestrian only part of 5th Avenue - and there are many restaurants and shops to browse through in the area. The rooms are comfortable and have air conditioning. Th

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
MariposaGroup, Operations Manager at Hotel Boutique Posada Mariposa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Thank you very much for your comment, it was a pleasure to serve you and look forward to your next visit to Playa del Carmen, again allowing us the pleasure of being our guest