“WHAT CAN I SAY”

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #32 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Actually, I can't say enough about this property. We traveled with our 2 teen age kids this past August and had a wonderful time. The rooms are very clean and spacious with the beds being extremely comfortable. We had 2 rooms which the hotel made sure were connecting. The people working at the resorts are very friendly and would do anything for you. My husband was looking for Grey Goose Vodka and when the bar we were at didn't have it, they went out of their way to get it. The food is unbelievable. Every night was a gourmet meal. My 17 yr old daughter was so impressed with the presentation she would take pictures of every course that came out. It was not only picturesque, but delicious. The decor in each of the restaurants was beautiful and at night the resort transforms, making it look even more beautiful with the lighting and candles. While having drinks at the bar, of course my husband noticed the staff lining up all the chairs and tables with the lines in the tiled floor. This just proved to us that the hotel wants to make everything perfect for you. I would highly recommend this resort to everyone!! What a great vacation we had... My 15 yr old son just asked me the other day if we could go back to Paradisus for next years trip!!

3  Thank javra28
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Dear guest,

First of all thank you for sharing your experience at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

It has been a pleasure for all of us to host you and we are happy to know that you and your family had an unforgettable stay. We are glad that your enthusiasm and excitement you had before your arrival is now reflected on your plans to come back to the property after you enjoyed our LUXEclusive plan, life enriching activities where all our guests have the opportunity to learn or practice something new, and our shows.

Please let us know when you are coming back and meanwhile we will keep working and improving to surpass every visitors´ needs.

alan.becerril@melia.com

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed here July 24-29 with my husband and three teenagers and we absolutely loved it. In the interest of full-disclosure, I must admit that I am in the travel industry and did receive one complimentary room; however, I did decided to make it our family vacation and had to pay for an additional room for the kids, so I did have some skin in the game so to speak. I did have some concerns about the beach and the location, but decided to go for it and I'm really glad we did. We didn't have a swim up suite, royal service or concierge service - just two regular junior suites and they was perfect. First of all, the resort is just stunning. It is very relaxing and spa-like. I referred to it as casual elegance. Beautiful but not stuffy -- very comfortable. The rooms were very large - exactly what you see on the website. Upon check in we were greeted with refreshing towels and drinks. The check-in process was very easy and Perla explained the entire resort to us and made our dinner reservations for us each night. The crowd was very international which I loved and a nice mix of families, groups, couples, etc. The staff was very friendly and eager to please. I was worried about the beach as I read it was very rocky, but it was fine. The sand is beautiful and there are plenty of seats. As it got closer to the weekend they added more lounge chairs so finding one was never a problem. You can walk along the beach into town, but it's about a 20 minute walk. Now I can't deny that there are some rocks in the water, but they really weren't a problem for us. You can see where they are and usually avoid them. I didn't see any seaweed. You should know that you can't see the beach from the pool which I usually love. There is a large mangrove preserve in between. I thought I would really hate that, but it actually didn't bother me. The mangroves were pretty cool and there was a nice wooden walkway to the beach which they continuously swept all day! They have complimentary Kayaks on the beach and jet skis for rental. The water is that absolutely beautiful shade of blue that I LOVE!! There is drink service also, but the speed of the drink arrivals definitely depended on your server! The food at the resort was excellent. For an all-inclusive resort, it was amazing! Our favorite was Mole. Breakfast was only a buffet and I did wish there was another alternative for breakfast. Not that it was bad, but I'm just not a fan of a buffet. The pool was great with lounges in the water and a swim up bar. The pool closed at 7pm which I thought was way too early. I love to go night swimming on vacation and we couldn't do that here. There was entertainment every night that we really enjoyed so I guess that took the place of our night swims! If you want to go into town at night you really need to take a taxi which was about $10 for a family of five. One thing that would be nice would be a complimentary shuttle to town. We had a great time and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is considering it!

Room Tip: Only rooms on the top floors have an ocean view and it isn't that close a view of the ocean beca...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank soccermom40

Dear guest,

At Paradisus we care a lot about creating different atmospheres at all areas, thank you for recognizing our effort on it and letting us it is appreciated by our guests.

It is great to read you enjoyed the customized service from our staff, and your culinary experience at our top class restaurants was fantastic for you and even for your kinds, sometimes it is more difficult to satisfy them than adults.

A common concern from the tourists when choosing a resort is the beach area. We have been working to maintain it free of rocks and seaweed brought by waves. It is great to know you had a pleasant time swimming and relaxing by the turquoise sea and sandy beach.

We appreciate your recommendation to other tourists to visit us and it would be a pleasure to host your again at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Family from The Netherlands with young kids (10 and 3).
We were at this hotel for 4 weeks. We found it the best hotel we have ever been to and we have seen a lot.

The food is excellent in all the restaurants that they have. We have seen the restaurants several times.
I always say. Imagine the best restaurant that you know of and this hotel has 11 of them. Every restaurant has different food and a different atmosphere. We were told that a famous Spanish artist helped design the hotel.
The hotel also has a restaurant from a Spanish chef that has received 7 Michelin stars. We have eaten there twice (pay extra). Compare this chef with Gordon Ramsey and you understand the worldclass.

Premium brand All Inclusive
Did you know that this hotel is a Premium brand All inclusive? So all the expensive liquors are included. Also a lot of wines are included. They even have Heineken beer, Chivas Regal, Jack Daniels and so on.
They have Coca cola, sprite, Fanta, Oreo's and M&M's. On the table they have Heinz tomato ketchup.

Roomservice
We ordered a complete list of what we liked and everything was brought to the room. Even baked salmon with rice, baked chicken, a fruit plate and scrabbled eggs.

The service was superb. I can tell you many details about the service. But mostly it was fantastic. If it was not good, we told the manager and it got fixed.
OK some details:
Because we were staying for 1 month the chef at Naos insisted to prepare a meal and we could tell what we liked. I asked for chocolates (bonbons) and got them.
We were relaxing/playing in the pool and a waiter asked us if we wanted to drink something. We said, we are fine, we are swimming.
We were dining at Passion (adults only) and our kids were at the Lion King show. We asked previously if Yared from Quest service could keep a eye on them.
In the restaurant we were informed that the kids were picked up at the Lion King because it was finished. 5 minutes later we were again informed that the kids were safely in the room.
We went to play Tennis. It is about 100 meters walking. But they took us with the golf car.

Rooms
New, spacious, clean and luxurious. Imagine a jacuzzi on the balcony. A big bath in the bathroom. A double rain shower. Two flatscreen tv's. King size bed. Kitchen. Free WiFi throughout the entire complex, yes also near the pools.

Always enough towels.
We had a double room. But even the single rooms are very good.

Location
The hotel has a nice sandy beach. You can walk over the beach to the center of Playa del Carmen in 35 minutes (calle 0). After 20 minutes of walking you are on a beach that has a lot of tourists.
By taxi it is 7 minutes to the center. TIP: pay in pesos instead of dollars. The taxi charges USD 10 or 100 Pesos. The center of Playa del Carmen is lovely.

Moscitos
We read about this in other tripadvisor comments, so we were worried, because moscitos like me. We took precautions and brought anti-moscito milk with Deet in it. I wear long trousers at night.
In 4 weeks I have been bitten around 20 to 30 times. That is an avarage of 1 or less per day. Is that a lot?
If you are in your room or in the airconditioned restaurants you hardly get bitten. During the day, in the sun, there are almost no moscitos.

Did you know that Paradisus is the top brand of the Melia Group. The Melia Group is the owner of this hotel. During our stay, they received an international price of Preferred hotels. We think they deserve it.

Special thanks to
Guest relations: Oliver, Yared
Chefs in restaurant Naos: Carlos, Oscar
Entertainment team: Milly and the dance crew
Reception: Mario
Waiters from The Market and Naos: Andrea, Antonio, Rafael, Dominga, Jeronimo, ...

3  Thank Luuk B
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

Dear Family,

As a lot of our employees told you during your stay, you were our first family staying for 4 weeks and you even wanted to extend three more days. For us it was also an amazing experience to have the opportunity to host you and provide you all the services and the best we could in every part of the resort.

The four of you became part of us, part of Paradisus, calling some of our partners by name like Oliver, Yared, Carlos, Oscar, Milly, and so on, that were always happy to see you around the property and show you their authentic interest to know you were having a great stay.

We know that your suggestions to future tourists will be taken in consideration by them as they will see that after staying with us for one month, you know the property and the area by heart.

We would be really honored if you consider to come back to Paradisus La Esmeralda for you following long vacations, or even for a couple of days. Your home in Mexico is in Paradisus.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Me and my boyfriend had an excellent time at paradisus. The hotel is just amazing: very clean and huge. When we arrived at the lobby we were greeted with a warm smile and the friendly staff from the frontdesk checked us in. Thank you MARIO for answering all my questions and thanks for your help in every case).

The food was very good and the rooms were cleaned up every day and they were spacious, the beds were really comfortable, the beach was really nice and clean.
The location was great, close enough to Playa del Carmen, far enough from the town.

I would come again, with family or alone. Its a hotel for everyone. Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear guest,

We are pleased to read that you overall experience at Paradisus La Esmeralda was completely satisfactory and you had the opportunity to enjoy our facilities, strategic location, comfort and the attentiveness of our staff.

We will be waiting for your return with your family or with your significant other, as you said, everyone is welcome.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

What an amazing 8 days we had in this resort, i will give it 120% score, i have been to europe, south america, and cancun many many times, but this resort stood up. Services were excellent, the most admiring was the services in the restaurants, the champion/hero for our trip was FARES, we named our trip after this human , he was above what you will expect from a manager. THANK YOU FARES and for your team. Rooms were excellent, pool excellent . please please go to this resort, no way that you will not give it 120% score. Thank you for the team of the resort and more happiness to all reviewers.

Room Tip: all were excellent depends on your $$
2  Thank KENZO123511
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us the outstanding service provided by Fares and his team at the Naos restaurant where his charisma made you enjoyed delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner surrounded by professional and attentive waiters.

All the Naos team will be informed about your notes. We are sure they will find them encouraging continuing providing excellent service to all our visitors.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
3.0 km away
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
0.1 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
6.3 km away
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#37 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
1.4 km away
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#102 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK