“Beyond, Beyond”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hillsdale, New Jersey
“Beyond, Beyond”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We just wrapped up our Spring Break trip to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeraldo and it was simply amazing. Like other reviewers, we took advantage of the family concierge service and for a brief (oh vacations go so quickly!) moment in time - we were royalty. Upon arrival we were taken to a special check area reserved for families taking advange of the concierge service. Everyone in our party was given a special bracelet that signaled we were part of an exclusive group. While I still don my bracelet - dare I should take it off and admit that I am back to reality- the bracelet could have easily been a crown. Queen for the day or better, for a week.
I love to swim and the pools were beautiful. Our pool had a swim up bar and lounge chairs actually built into the pool. If you didn't want so much sun, there were very cool place to hide out like the huts or hanging chairs. Since I couldn't be pried from the pool I often ate at the poolside grill. This was a personal preference as there were lots of choices. Shirley, Gillman and Carlos were so attentive to me I really saw no reason to venture out. OUR outside bed was made up everyday and the staff knew before I could ask what I wanted to eat.

We had two adjoining rooms so we really had a lot of space. We were given a walkie talkie to help keep track of our kids while outside, but on more than one occassion I will admit to using it inside too.

Great family resort. Splurge and do the family concierge.

1 Thank HappyTrails46512
Quality Manager B, Quality Department at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Dear guest,

We can hardly describe how it feels like to read we have surpassed your expectations during your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

Some of the benefits our Family Concierge guests have are: access to a swimming pool reserved for them, having some snacks at Hydro Grill, Jacuzzi at your room terrace, butler assistance and amenities for our youngest visitors, among others. Thank you for taking advantage of them and appreciated the extra value reflected on the queen and king feeling you have gotten.

We hope your review will help other tourist to take the decision of reserving Family Concierge or La Esmeralda.

armando.mondragon@melia.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,445)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bronx
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Let me start by saying that we go to various high-end all inclusive resorts every year and this is the best by far. We stayed in the Family Concierge section and thought it was worth every penny. When we arrived, we were greeted with a wonderful welcome, were asked if we would like a drink, given a cool towel, etc. It was very quiet and relaxing after a long day of travel. We were introduced to our Concierge, Pricilla, who was so sweet and helpful. One thing we liked was that we were able to make our dinner reservations at the front desk or through Pricilla days in advance. When we were checking in, we made dinner reservations for the first 3 nights. After a day or two, I decided I wanted a spa treatment and I called Pricilla and she booked it for me. I asked her if she could get me a paper every day and from that point on, I had one. The kids loved the main pool but by mid-day they were only interested in staying in the Family Concierge pool. The kids loved the pool party that Pricilla set up for them in our outdoor tub! They also felt so special getting their nightly treats. The food was great. Everything was so fresh and the wait staff was more than accommodating and knowledgeable. As far as drinks go, they had unlimited everything. My husband really enjoyed that part! We went to Tulum to see the Myan ruins. I loved it, the kids were pretty bored. We also went to Xel-Ha and loved it. It is a bit pricey but was enjoyed by kids and adults. One negative is the coffee. I kept trying and kept failing at making the coffee in the room and when you went to a restaurant and asked for a cup, it was like pulling teeth to get it. I used both gyms. The one in the Family Concierge was small but empty and I went there when I just wanted to get a quick 20 or 30 minutes in. When I was taking my time, I went to the resort gym which is in the adults’ only section. Both are very clean. We also went to the beach for a few hours a couple of days. It was very, very nice and relaxing. We snorkeled and saw some really cool fish. I admit, I get bored after snorkeling for a while. Every place you go at the resort is spotless. People are cleaning constantly. All in all, we had an amazing time.

Room Tip: Family Concierge
2 Thank Sheila G
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your last stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.
Staying at the Family Concierge area means you get surprises every day and kids love them!.
We are glad to read your family and you had a great time over there and your butler assistance (Priscila) was a manner to enjoy all the benefits of staying in this family centered part of the resort.

We appreciate you remarked the beach condition. Some guests complained a few months ago about it and we implemented a program to keep it free of rocks and seaweed. It is working and it is reflected on reviews like yours.

We will be waiting for your return to Paradisus Playa del Carmen to enjoy again our LUXEclusive service.

MONTREAL
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Spent a week at La Esmeralda, a girls only trip, all eight of us!!!

One of the girls in our group had stayed at La Esmeralda 6 weeks earlier and loved it so much she came back with us!

THE RESORT
Two sections, as mentionned by many other travelers.
Although we all were there without children, we had booked rooms in the La Esmeralda section, but did all our activities at the La Perla - adults only side. It was much more animated.
The resort wasn't full and we therefore even had the chance to dine in the Exclusive Section.
Greeting upon arrival was quick and very curteous.
We had booked an ocean VIEW room. Of course, the resort being far from the ocean, the view consisted of stepping out on the balcony and stretching our heads towards the ocean. We asked for an upgrade. Got the swim-up suite. AMAZING!!! Thanks the Jessica, the front desk manager, who was prompt to help us out with check-in.

RESTAURANTS
All lot of choices that should cater to everyone's different taste buds.
Being that it opened recently, service was obviously not up to par. I am however certain that this will be addressed in due time and service will be up to the expectations of a five-star hotel.
Be aware that you might have to ask, quite often, for certain things.
Take note that because the resort is very big, most restaurants/bars feel empty and lifeless, because everyone is so spread out.
Buffet: Only ate there for breakfast. Good but must say a bit more variety in everything would be great.

POOLS & BEACH
LOVED the beach party day at the La Perla pool!!! Live DJ and bar setup for the occasion. Activities, balloons, dances...Very festive!
Food & drink service was great!
At the beach, Anna was amazing all week long!

It's my 11th trip under the mexican sun, and I can say I've never had the opportunity to swim in the ocean as much as I did on this trip! The resort is situated in a bay-like part of the ocean. Beautiful sandy beach that stretches all the way to downtown Playa del Carmen. A great fun walk for those who like to walk along the beach. When the waves were not strong, the water was amazing. Pristine, clear turquoise with white soft sand. There are a few reefs and rocks here and there, but many areas great for swimming.

VERY IMPORTANT NEGATIVE POINT: There are no bathrooms close to the beach!!! The closest one is in the restaurant section.

ROOM
Our swim up suite was greatly appreciated! Spent most afternoons relaxing after a day at the beach and pool. Room service was usually prompt and always ready to cater to our needs. Never used the jacuzzi however.
Tidy and clean overall. Turn down service was unconsistant. Some nights, we came back and change of towels had been done, chocolate left on counter. That happened only twice during our week stay. The other nights, we had to call for more clean towels and toiletteries.

OVERALL
A great resort with a lot of potential.
The girls with children all said they'd gladly come back with the family.
If you are prone to be bitten by mosquitoes, bring some repellent!!! They are ferious and hungry at Playa del Carmen!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting a detailed review including most of the parts of Paradisus La Esmeralda and La Perla.

We are glad to know that one of your friends came just 6 weeks before and decided to come back with you to hang out for a girl trip! It is amazing to read when we surpass our guests’ expectations and had a memorable time while staying with us.

A common concern from the tourists when choosing a resort is the beach area. We have been working to maintain it free of rocks and seaweed brought by waves. It is great to know you had a pleasant time swimming and relaxing by the turquoise sea and sandy beach.

Regarding the service at our restaurants, we have training programs to set certain details that might be seen as lack of attention by our staff. We have seen good results in a short period of time and we will continue with them.

Thank you for recognizing and giving a special mention to Anna from the beach area and Jessica from the front desk, they will be aware of your gratitude to their labor.

We hope to host you again when you decide to come back to Playa del Carmen.

Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 May 2012

My family and I just returned from a week-long vacation at the Paradisus Playa Del Carmen in Riviera Maya, and our experience was truly memorable. From the beautiful, new resort to the amazing service, our Spring Break family vacation was fantastic in every way. The rooms are luxurious and well-appointed, and perfect for families. We experienced the "Family Concierge" program - and it is well worth the investment. Our concierge, Laura, was a delight - making our dinner reservations at one of the many fine restaurants at both Esmeralda and the adults-only resort, La Perla, each night of our stay. Families can choose from "Contemporary Mexican" cuisine at Mole (our favorite), enjoy amazing Brazilian fare, sample Mediterranean tapas, or dine at Teppanyaki and Asian-Fusion restaurants. We tried them all - including our breakfast and lunch favorites at the sumptuous buffet and Grill area at the pool. The dishes were all great - even our kids loved them...and they are often difficult to please! And, each night when we returned to our rooms, there was also lovely surprise, courtesy of our Concierge. The two pools at Esmeralda are really wonderful....a big thank you to our pool concierge, Gilman, and to our servers, Carlos and Shirley who were so attentive to our family. At the end of our vacation, we thought of them as our extended family! Geronimo, who served us coffee and juice during our breakfast buffet each morning, also served up smiles and jokes, and engaged with the kids. They looked forward to getting a table at his area each morning! Subtle touches like changing the scent at the resort, made the transition from day to evening so lovely, and the quality of the evening entertainment was a nice surprise. We saw "The Lion King" - with music and dancing in Spanish and full costume (my 14 year-old daughter enjoyed translating for the rest of us), a fantastic Michael Jackson revue, a fire show, and so much more. We also were quite active on this trip with excursions to Xcaret (amazing - don't miss this, but take great walking shoes!); catamaran cruise, ATVs, horseback riding on the beach, and shopping in Playa Del Carmen. My 12 year old son and 14 year old daughter were NEVER bored...and the days we spent entirely at the resort at the beach or pools were equally wonderful and exciting. The beach was fantastic - beautifully maintained, and we loved the double-bed lounge chairs. We also saw a destination wedding on the beach, and it was beautiful. The resort was gorgeous and immaculate, and we were delighted by the amazing service and small touches that made our experience so very special. We also ran into two families from our town in New Jersey at the pool, and they were equally enthusiastic about the resort. A big thank you to all of our new "family" at Paradisus Esmeralda! Four big thumbs up for this terrific resort!

Room Tip: Opt for the Family Concierge - well worth the investment. All rooms are well-located, and provide e...
5 Thank Buzztravel
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share a complete review from your recent stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

Our guest satisfaction is our priority. Sometimes it is challenging to achieve because as you mentioned, all the departments of the resort are involved: Housekeeping, Food and beverage, Maintenance, Activities and of course the warm service our staff provides. We are glad to read we surpassed your expectations in all areas.

Laura, Gilman, Carlos, Shirley and Geronimo will be notified about their magnificent service and how you consider them as your new family at Paradisus La Esmeralda, we are certain they will receive your comment very motivating and will encourage them to keep with their caring touch with our upcoming guests.

Our activities program is planned for all family members’ enjoyment, “The lion king” and “Michael Jackson” shows are great to close a marvelous night after having a delicious dinner. We hope you could enjoy also our life enriching activities during your stay.

Thank you again for your post and we hope you will return with your family to this portion of Paradise!

Cincinnati, Oh
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We just got back from a one week stay at Paradisus la Esmeralda and were very pleased on every aspect of the stay. The resort itself has only been open for six months and is in excellent shape. The rooms were very nice and comfortable but most do not have a view of the ocean. That was not an issue for us--we came to visit the pool/beach, not stare at it from the room. There was plenty of options of places to go and relax or stay active. One very nice plus was the restaurant options--quite a few and all very good. We were happy to repeat several.

The eating and drinking options were all very plentiful and good. Those waiting/serving us were always happy to help us with the choices on the menu or which tequila was best and they were always right. With it being a newer resort the service was just a bit below what a top shelf resort should have but I am sure they will bring it up quickly--not a problem.

This is not a small resort so bring your walking shoes or comfy flip flops. On one side is the adult only section (which appeared smaller but had lots of people around the pool); the other side (la Esmeralda) was accomodations for familes and was a bit bigger. We stayed on the family side even though we did not bring the kids--not a problem.

We took a trip to Chichen Itza (arranged through the travel rep from Olympic?) and it was very well run and informative. There are plenty of other things to do too.

All in all an excellent trip to a super resort.

Room Tip: The family side is probably quieter than the adult side.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alemartrz
Quality Manager B, Quality Department at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda on Trip Advisor.

It is satisfactory for us to read that you had a great time while in the Resort, enjoying our activities, laying down and relaxing by the beach and pool areas, the variety of restaurants, and most of all the staff friendliness.

Thank you for your recommendation and we will be glad if you decide to come back with your kinds the next time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
3.0 km away
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#56 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
0.1 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
36.4 km away
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
23.8 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
26.0 km away
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK