“A-Mazing Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
new jersey
“A-Mazing Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Before I start to share our experience, I want to personally thank Elisa Campo for making our stay much more comfortable by upgrading our room to a swim-up room. Customer service we received from her was above and beyond the expectation. Thank you.

Let me mention that we visited Esmeralda during a quiet week; right after spring break was over. Never had a problem with lounge chairs or cabana by the pool or chairs and umbrellas at the beach. It does make a difference which week you pick, as I read a lot of negative reviews from travelers having issues finding chairs by the pool.

They do have a BIG problem with housekeeping. Either they are short on staff, or the manager doesn’t know what he/she is doing. There was no personal touch, not a single swan or other animal made of towels, which you find everyday in your room in any other resort. The rooms were cleaned not so well and way too late. If you were to return to your room at around 3pm, chances are…. it’s not made up. But the resort is still very new and I am sure that they will improve with the help of our reviews. I am also sure, the price will go up with the improvements, as it’s a very well designed resort with excellent service.

Beach: I didn’t notice too many rocks in the water, spending most of the time in the water. It’s not bad at all, just couple of occasional stones. We travelled with 3 kids; none of them had an issue either. Plus, the beach is so beautiful and so different from what you picture at Riu or Sandos or Iberostar Tucan. The beach is separated by a real rainforest from the resort. We saw alligators and so many different types of lizards there. Kids loved to watch the animals. The downside of the resort was mosquitoes. There were a lot of those and nothing helped. But…. they don’t bite everyone. I suffered a lot, but my daughter and my husband didn’t seem to have a problem at all.

Service at the restaurants depends on a waiter, but our experience was not bad in general. The vast majority of the waiters were really friendly, fast and accommodating. Special thanks to Jesus from Vento and another guy, whose name I don’t remember, from The Market (at lunch time).

The food was great, can’t complain at all, and I am very picky. Loved Passion (extra charge) the most.

We loved our vacation at Paradisus, the resort itself is just soooooooooooooo beautiful and different. It was probably my first all inclusive experience where I could dress up, wear high hills and was surrounded by others dressed in the same manner. It’s a modern resort, I would say Manhattan style, and not everyone may like it, but if you are classy and like classy staff, go there.

Kids club is open till 10pm and is great. It is equipped with computers, and kids can play the games online and browse the Internet. They did trampoline jumping and rock climbing and went to the pool and to the beach. Natalya, Nadia and Daena did a wonderful job. Our kids loved all of them. Thank you, Ladies. We missed Nadia and Natalya when we were leaving, but we left tips for you at the front desk.

Resort is built with attention to details. Those very small tiny things make your stay enjoyable and very pleasant.

Room Tip: If you choose a swim-up room, you won't have any issues with a view. Snce the area around is not...
2 Thank natasha_nj
Quality Manager B, Quality Department at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear guest,

Our visitors’ reviews are always welcome. Guest satisfaction is the goal we try to achieve every single day at Paradisus. We are glad we did it this time with you and your family.

As you mentioned in your notes, all our guests’ comments are very important for us because you help us to identify the opportunity areas we must work on in order to improve and offer a complete satisfactory experience to all our tourists that honor us with their visit.

We think it is important to let our tourists know, that Paradisus is committed with society and the natural environment. That is why we are proud of our unique location in front the turquoise Caribbean ocean. This area includes a beautiful protected mangrove, It´s importance relies on the way it helps to decrease hurricane impact, protecting guests, the ecosystem and our facilities. We are glad to know you share this ideal with us.

Be sure we will transfer your comments regarding the exceptional service Natalia, Nadia and Diana provided and were a significant part of your kids´ experience. Thank you for the recognition to their special work.

Once again, thank you for your review, your preference and for your recommendation.

armando.mondragon@melia.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,358)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed at this lovely property last week and while the 45 minute drive was a bit long, upon arrival you quickly forget about it.

The open outdoor seating areas are everywhere and the furnishings are gorgeous, creative and fun, especially "Club Gabi" and The Market bar area. We loved sitting on the large couches that looked like beds and read our newspapers on iPads in the shade.

The food is great, especially the sushi bar which you don't often find to be included at an all-inclusive. The service is great, the staff is very friendly and ready to please with a smile.

The beach is gorgeous and the spa is beautiful. We would go back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the swim up or the 1 bedroom suite if you can, they are amazing spaces.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TraveLady_12
Dear guest,

Thank you for your concrete review regarding your last stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

It is pleasant to know you had a wonderful time just relaxing on the different sitting areas around the resort. Those spaces were designed thinking about our guest need to rest, enjoy the warm weather, the Caribbean breeze, while they are pampered by our always smiling staff.

We are glad to read we surpass your expectations and we will be waiting for your return to Paradisus La Esmeralda.

Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and daughter and I just spent one week in Playa del Carmen at the newly built Paradisus La Esmeralda. We booked a last minute holiday and were very, very pleased with the week we spent. The staff were so kind and helpful to me and my family. They seemed to go out of their way everyday to say hi, to say hello to my 4 year old daughter that they got to know by name and to my wife and I. We spent each day in the buffet restaurant for breakfast and for most lunches. The food was great, the omelettes were fantastic, abundant choices of fruit, fruit juices, coffee, cafe latte's, etc. We had lunch at The Market one day and realized what a great place it was as well for lunch and dinner. We got to know some of the staff and had some nice and interesting conversations with them. Hats off to Pablo who manages the buffett and to his team especially Raphael, Israel, Jose, Geronimo to name a few. Every night was a 5 star experience at the restaurants: Mole, Vente, The Market, Bana. I travel internationally for work and get tired of 5 star food but for some reason, I really loved the food. We did not have one meal than earned less than a 5 star. In fact, knowing that my daughter might not want some of the "adult food" they suggested alternatives such as pasta with parmesan which she ate - every noodles. Wish we could get her to do the same at home. The pools were excellent especially the pools behind our room. Our daughter loved the kids pools, the Pirate Ship, Shark slide, etc. They even served cotton candy and snow cones by the pools. The pool side restaurant which served burgers, hot dogs, chicken wings was an excellent place to snack in between meals. The furniture and decor was phenomenal. La Esmeralda is a place that we'll visit again. We felt safe and comforted in this beautiful little known secret in Playa del Carmen. We've been to Mexico 15 times now and have stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels. In our opinion, this was the best thus far. We wanted a place that was going to be safe for us and especially for our daughter and we found it. Oh, the Kids Club was awesome. They were so nice to us and to our daughter. She didn't want to leave she was enjoying the crafts and play groups so much. If you want to visit a place with excellent food, great service and beautiful rooms and decor, this is the place. The beach was nice although a bit rocky in some area's but the beach is better in the north side (family side) of the beach and not quite as nice on the south side considered the adult side - La Perla. There is a section behind The Market restaurant that is outstanding - almost looks like something you would see in South Beach Miami. The furniture is very high-end, white, plastic and much of it is lit at night in white, blue and read. It was almost always empty which was sad because it was a gorgeous area for people to enjoy relaxing. I'd highly recommend this resort and this is the first time I've written a review because this is the first hotel that I felt deserved a review. Thanks to everyone for a GREAT family holiday. We'll see you again.

2 Thank Mark B
Quality Manager B, Quality Department at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, thank you very much for posting such an optimistic review from your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

As you mention in your comments, at Paradisus we truly enjoy pampering our guests, specially the smallest ones, who´s happiness is reflected in every single smile they show on their faces. We are pleased to know your 4 year old daughter had an amazing time at the Kids Zone, the slides and Pirates’ ship at the Adventures pool and having some special meals prepared specially for her.

We are also happy to read you did not get tired from the food, our luxurious all inclusive plan is a great option for those who likes variety having options where to choose from. We have buffet service available for breakfast, lunch and dinner; 7 specialty restaurants open for dinner, and 2 snack bars open until 7pm every day.

Please be sure we will transfer your comments to Pablo, Rafael, Israel, José and Geronimo from the Naos restaurant. Of course we are glad to have them as part of the staff, and your recognition will stimulate them to keep their distinguished way to assist our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience in Trip Advisor and we will be waiting for your prompt return.

Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

This was an awards trip paid for by my company. The resort staff were all very friendly and accommodating. We had breakfast every morning at the Naos, and Israel gave us outstanding service for our meals! He was friendly, humorous, jovial, and recalled us each time we came in. It was a joy to have him as our server.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comment regarding the outstanding service provided by Israel at the Naos restaurant. We will transfer your comments to him, who surely will be happy to read your recognition to his service vocation. We are proud to count with employees like him, customer oriented.

We hope to host you again in Paradisus la Esmeralda accompanied by your family.

Lynnwood, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed at Paradisus from 4/10-4/16 and had a fabulous time. There were 8 of us, 6 adults and 2 kids (ages 2 and 5).

Reading some of the past reviews, I can't help but scratch my head on some of them because we truly had a good experience with the hotel and are blessed that we did. We have some feedback and comments below that hopefully the hotel will read and take to heart - just minor items that can make their hotel service and facilities even better.

Staff - restaurant staff were the best from our perspective. Serving us refills of our drinks, asking if there was anything else we needed, even making us something that wasn't on the menu at the BANTA restaurant. Could the staff we pass by from and to our rooms be friendlier? Sure but they do say Hola to you everytime.

Restaurant - Naos buffet restaurant was really good, a great assortment for breakfast and dinner. Banta, the Asian Fusion Restaurant was great. I loved the fact that they allowed kids for dinner between 6-9pm so we were able to dine at the restaurant. VENTO - mediterranean was superb, you have to have their risotto. From a couple in our group, the exclusive restaurant was really great, gourmet. Sunrise grills had good snacks by the pool, chicken wings, cheese burger that were just fine.The Market restaurant was great - they had Rodizzio which we loved, great meat cuts.

Pool Area - the Palapas were pretty booked all the time during our stay except for the Sunday afternoon, so we didn't get to use really - the reviews are right on this one. They do get "reserved" with towels, personal belongings as early as 730am, the earliest we were up one day. There were seats available though so we just did that, no biggie for us. Note: one of the staff noticed my Mom and Mother In-law needed an umbrella and they immediately brought one to them :) My 5 yr. old enjoyed the kids pool for sure.

Kids Zone - decor, toys, books and facility looks great, as they are a newer hotel. The staff were really friendly and my 5 yr. old hung out on some days - they had trips to the beach, trampoline and rock climbing activities to keep them entertained during the day. I feel they could have had added more staff in the room. I only left my 2 yr old once and for a short time but I feel that the smaller kids area could use more staffing to entertain the kids there since they can't go outside and don't have outdoor activities like the bigger kids.

Room Clean Up - they always did a good job for us and turn down was nice because we would come home to a neat room. There was one day where the cervesas were not refilled, we just had to get drinks from the bar.

Room location - we were on the 2nd floor, with the jungle view, saw wild parrots flying in the trees while I was out the veranda and always lots of birds flying in the jungle. Room size was good for 2 adults, 2 kids, nice decor, comfy beds and pillows. Very rare that I like hotel soaps,shampoos, lotion amenities but I did theirs. It's in a shape of a rock, very organic and the lotion wasn't bad at all. I would have loved the ocean view but it is with a higher cost and not many rooms have the ocean view - just ask for a higher floor, at least on the 2nd floor to get a jungle view.

Hotel Area - you will see the local neighborhood as you get to the hotel but really, there is no danger that we saw, they are all minding their own thing, I hardly saw any locals in the neighborhood even. Some reviews call them the shanties but they truly are not, they're not mansions or anything. Remember that you are in Mexico and it's part of their culture.

Beach - nice white sand when we visited at 11am on our 2nd day. No sea plants or rocks visible. Both were present in the afternoon though. We didn't mind it and you can see the staff sweeping them to try to make the beach cleaner. These sea plants are all natural though and the resort can't help their appearance in the afternoon.

Free internet - yay!

Mosquitoes - they were present at dusk but NOT major. The restaurants have repellent you can borrow so feel free to ask, we had brought one because we have 2 kids that are guaranteed to be bitten whenever they are at a tropical location. Just be smart to have some repellant.

Drinks - top shelf and feel free to ask for them when making mixed drinks. Reposado tequila in your margaritas, yum!

Shows: we watched the King of Pop show and a group of folks with a fire show, ballet and Spanish dances....all were entertaining.

Spa - had a 80 min. massage by Ofelia (?) and was very relaxing, I asked for more pressure when she asked me and it was heaven! Loved the oil scent used, loved the music and peacefulness of the spa. Pretty high up there for the rates by the way. We just happened to have a spa credit that came with our package. It would have been $180 for an 80 min. massage but we had a $150 credit so I just paid the balance and tip separately.

Excursions - we went to Xel Ha, Tulum, took a Cozumel Tour & Dolphin Swimming - Olympus Tours who could be found at the lobby booked everything for us and all tours were fun and organized.

The one thing that I do have to bring to hotel management is the confusion on our Resort Credit and our Baby Sitting charges. The lady we booked baby sitting services said that we could use $75 out of $100 hotel credit and that we just needed to add $40 in cash. We agreed and booked our baby sitter. The next day, we were told that the $100 resort credit did not apply to babysitting services. After complaining to the other lady that brought this our attention, she wasn't able to honor the resort credit and just gave us a $25 discount. I felt it wasn't fair because clearly, we were told and had been given details on the whole resort credit thing but.....Just make sure you ask knowledgeable folks and start writing down names when you get information to make sure. Because at some point when I asked about the cost of babysitting in the first few days when we arrived, I was told a different rate - so that's 3 different information that I received about their babysitting service. Just jot the name down of the folks you speak with and Paradisus Staff - please get this right and be consistent.

Aside from this ONE incident, our stay was fun, easy, safe and relaxing. Yes, we will come back to this hotel.

2 Thank MCA-J-4
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for posting a detailed review form your last stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda. We are sure your experience will inspire another tourist to visit us, wiling to have the same feeling form our property.

It is a pleasure for us to know you have a lot of beautiful memories from your holiday, like the unforgettable relaxing massage at the Yhi Spa honored by Ofelia (who will be notified about the good work she did during your service), the assortment for breakfast and dinner at our buffet in Naos, or having a snack while taking the sun on the loungers while your kids had fun at the Adventure pool.

On the other hand, comments like yours help us to apply new methods in order to improve, for example, now we have cards on beds by the pool saying it is forbidden to save them with personal belongings and in a short period of time we have had good results on it.

Regarding the general information our staff provides, we will try to reinforce this with the front desk, guest relations, butlers, concierge and personnel with direct guest contact. We are sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for sharing the situation with us.

Please honor us again with your presence and remember we will be pleased to host you again here, in your home away from home.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
0.2 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,197 reviews

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK