“A week in Playa del Carmen with the family.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #29 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ottawa
“A week in Playa del Carmen with the family.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and daughter and I just spent one week in Playa del Carmen at the newly built Paradisus La Esmeralda. We booked a last minute holiday and were very, very pleased with the week we spent. The staff were so kind and helpful to me and my family. They seemed to go out of their way everyday to say hi, to say hello to my 4 year old daughter that they got to know by name and to my wife and I. We spent each day in the buffet restaurant for breakfast and for most lunches. The food was great, the omelettes were fantastic, abundant choices of fruit, fruit juices, coffee, cafe latte's, etc. We had lunch at The Market one day and realized what a great place it was as well for lunch and dinner. We got to know some of the staff and had some nice and interesting conversations with them. Hats off to Pablo who manages the buffett and to his team especially Raphael, Israel, Jose, Geronimo to name a few. Every night was a 5 star experience at the restaurants: Mole, Vente, The Market, Bana. I travel internationally for work and get tired of 5 star food but for some reason, I really loved the food. We did not have one meal than earned less than a 5 star. In fact, knowing that my daughter might not want some of the "adult food" they suggested alternatives such as pasta with parmesan which she ate - every noodles. Wish we could get her to do the same at home. The pools were excellent especially the pools behind our room. Our daughter loved the kids pools, the Pirate Ship, Shark slide, etc. They even served cotton candy and snow cones by the pools. The pool side restaurant which served burgers, hot dogs, chicken wings was an excellent place to snack in between meals. The furniture and decor was phenomenal. La Esmeralda is a place that we'll visit again. We felt safe and comforted in this beautiful little known secret in Playa del Carmen. We've been to Mexico 15 times now and have stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels. In our opinion, this was the best thus far. We wanted a place that was going to be safe for us and especially for our daughter and we found it. Oh, the Kids Club was awesome. They were so nice to us and to our daughter. She didn't want to leave she was enjoying the crafts and play groups so much. If you want to visit a place with excellent food, great service and beautiful rooms and decor, this is the place. The beach was nice although a bit rocky in some area's but the beach is better in the north side (family side) of the beach and not quite as nice on the south side considered the adult side - La Perla. There is a section behind The Market restaurant that is outstanding - almost looks like something you would see in South Beach Miami. The furniture is very high-end, white, plastic and much of it is lit at night in white, blue and read. It was almost always empty which was sad because it was a gorgeous area for people to enjoy relaxing. I'd highly recommend this resort and this is the first time I've written a review because this is the first hotel that I felt deserved a review. Thanks to everyone for a GREAT family holiday. We'll see you again.

2 Thank Mark B
Quality Manager B, Quality Department at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, thank you very much for posting such an optimistic review from your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

As you mention in your comments, at Paradisus we truly enjoy pampering our guests, specially the smallest ones, who´s happiness is reflected in every single smile they show on their faces. We are pleased to know your 4 year old daughter had an amazing time at the Kids Zone, the slides and Pirates’ ship at the Adventures pool and having some special meals prepared specially for her.

We are also happy to read you did not get tired from the food, our luxurious all inclusive plan is a great option for those who likes variety having options where to choose from. We have buffet service available for breakfast, lunch and dinner; 7 specialty restaurants open for dinner, and 2 snack bars open until 7pm every day.

Please be sure we will transfer your comments to Pablo, Rafael, Israel, José and Geronimo from the Naos restaurant. Of course we are glad to have them as part of the staff, and your recognition will stimulate them to keep their distinguished way to assist our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience in Trip Advisor and we will be waiting for your prompt return.

armando.mondragon@melia.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,286)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

This was an awards trip paid for by my company. The resort staff were all very friendly and accommodating. We had breakfast every morning at the Naos, and Israel gave us outstanding service for our meals! He was friendly, humorous, jovial, and recalled us each time we came in. It was a joy to have him as our server.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comment regarding the outstanding service provided by Israel at the Naos restaurant. We will transfer your comments to him, who surely will be happy to read your recognition to his service vocation. We are proud to count with employees like him, customer oriented.

We hope to host you again in Paradisus la Esmeralda accompanied by your family.

Lynnwood, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed at Paradisus from 4/10-4/16 and had a fabulous time. There were 8 of us, 6 adults and 2 kids (ages 2 and 5).

Reading some of the past reviews, I can't help but scratch my head on some of them because we truly had a good experience with the hotel and are blessed that we did. We have some feedback and comments below that hopefully the hotel will read and take to heart - just minor items that can make their hotel service and facilities even better.

Staff - restaurant staff were the best from our perspective. Serving us refills of our drinks, asking if there was anything else we needed, even making us something that wasn't on the menu at the BANTA restaurant. Could the staff we pass by from and to our rooms be friendlier? Sure but they do say Hola to you everytime.

Restaurant - Naos buffet restaurant was really good, a great assortment for breakfast and dinner. Banta, the Asian Fusion Restaurant was great. I loved the fact that they allowed kids for dinner between 6-9pm so we were able to dine at the restaurant. VENTO - mediterranean was superb, you have to have their risotto. From a couple in our group, the exclusive restaurant was really great, gourmet. Sunrise grills had good snacks by the pool, chicken wings, cheese burger that were just fine.The Market restaurant was great - they had Rodizzio which we loved, great meat cuts.

Pool Area - the Palapas were pretty booked all the time during our stay except for the Sunday afternoon, so we didn't get to use really - the reviews are right on this one. They do get "reserved" with towels, personal belongings as early as 730am, the earliest we were up one day. There were seats available though so we just did that, no biggie for us. Note: one of the staff noticed my Mom and Mother In-law needed an umbrella and they immediately brought one to them :) My 5 yr. old enjoyed the kids pool for sure.

Kids Zone - decor, toys, books and facility looks great, as they are a newer hotel. The staff were really friendly and my 5 yr. old hung out on some days - they had trips to the beach, trampoline and rock climbing activities to keep them entertained during the day. I feel they could have had added more staff in the room. I only left my 2 yr old once and for a short time but I feel that the smaller kids area could use more staffing to entertain the kids there since they can't go outside and don't have outdoor activities like the bigger kids.

Room Clean Up - they always did a good job for us and turn down was nice because we would come home to a neat room. There was one day where the cervesas were not refilled, we just had to get drinks from the bar.

Room location - we were on the 2nd floor, with the jungle view, saw wild parrots flying in the trees while I was out the veranda and always lots of birds flying in the jungle. Room size was good for 2 adults, 2 kids, nice decor, comfy beds and pillows. Very rare that I like hotel soaps,shampoos, lotion amenities but I did theirs. It's in a shape of a rock, very organic and the lotion wasn't bad at all. I would have loved the ocean view but it is with a higher cost and not many rooms have the ocean view - just ask for a higher floor, at least on the 2nd floor to get a jungle view.

Hotel Area - you will see the local neighborhood as you get to the hotel but really, there is no danger that we saw, they are all minding their own thing, I hardly saw any locals in the neighborhood even. Some reviews call them the shanties but they truly are not, they're not mansions or anything. Remember that you are in Mexico and it's part of their culture.

Beach - nice white sand when we visited at 11am on our 2nd day. No sea plants or rocks visible. Both were present in the afternoon though. We didn't mind it and you can see the staff sweeping them to try to make the beach cleaner. These sea plants are all natural though and the resort can't help their appearance in the afternoon.

Free internet - yay!

Mosquitoes - they were present at dusk but NOT major. The restaurants have repellent you can borrow so feel free to ask, we had brought one because we have 2 kids that are guaranteed to be bitten whenever they are at a tropical location. Just be smart to have some repellant.

Drinks - top shelf and feel free to ask for them when making mixed drinks. Reposado tequila in your margaritas, yum!

Shows: we watched the King of Pop show and a group of folks with a fire show, ballet and Spanish dances....all were entertaining.

Spa - had a 80 min. massage by Ofelia (?) and was very relaxing, I asked for more pressure when she asked me and it was heaven! Loved the oil scent used, loved the music and peacefulness of the spa. Pretty high up there for the rates by the way. We just happened to have a spa credit that came with our package. It would have been $180 for an 80 min. massage but we had a $150 credit so I just paid the balance and tip separately.

Excursions - we went to Xel Ha, Tulum, took a Cozumel Tour & Dolphin Swimming - Olympus Tours who could be found at the lobby booked everything for us and all tours were fun and organized.

The one thing that I do have to bring to hotel management is the confusion on our Resort Credit and our Baby Sitting charges. The lady we booked baby sitting services said that we could use $75 out of $100 hotel credit and that we just needed to add $40 in cash. We agreed and booked our baby sitter. The next day, we were told that the $100 resort credit did not apply to babysitting services. After complaining to the other lady that brought this our attention, she wasn't able to honor the resort credit and just gave us a $25 discount. I felt it wasn't fair because clearly, we were told and had been given details on the whole resort credit thing but.....Just make sure you ask knowledgeable folks and start writing down names when you get information to make sure. Because at some point when I asked about the cost of babysitting in the first few days when we arrived, I was told a different rate - so that's 3 different information that I received about their babysitting service. Just jot the name down of the folks you speak with and Paradisus Staff - please get this right and be consistent.

Aside from this ONE incident, our stay was fun, easy, safe and relaxing. Yes, we will come back to this hotel.

2 Thank MCA-J-4
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for posting a detailed review form your last stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda. We are sure your experience will inspire another tourist to visit us, wiling to have the same feeling form our property.

It is a pleasure for us to know you have a lot of beautiful memories from your holiday, like the unforgettable relaxing massage at the Yhi Spa honored by Ofelia (who will be notified about the good work she did during your service), the assortment for breakfast and dinner at our buffet in Naos, or having a snack while taking the sun on the loungers while your kids had fun at the Adventure pool.

On the other hand, comments like yours help us to apply new methods in order to improve, for example, now we have cards on beds by the pool saying it is forbidden to save them with personal belongings and in a short period of time we have had good results on it.

Regarding the general information our staff provides, we will try to reinforce this with the front desk, guest relations, butlers, concierge and personnel with direct guest contact. We are sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for sharing the situation with us.

Please honor us again with your presence and remember we will be pleased to host you again here, in your home away from home.

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

There are definitely some areas of improvement required, but overall we had a really good visit to this hotel and quite surprised at the extremes of the negative comments. To put our comments in context, we are a family of four with kids aged 2 and 4. We were in a One Bed Master Suite Swim Up.

The pluses:

Hotel
As others have mentioned, the common areas are very cool and hip. Nothing fuddy and duddy about this place. The lobby and and general walkways are very well designed, the lighting funky and it's nice to feel like an adult as opposed to living in a fabricated Disneyland. The drive up is quite interesting (actually the hotel from the outside is more akin to a cell block) but for anyone that has seen slums, the areas surrounding the hotel ain't that bad.

Spa
The spa is also very good. Not seen many comments about this, but I had a free massage and a facial and they were both excellent with a nice, soothing treatment room. They also have water therapy pools - no-one mentioned this, no guided tour of the facilities when I went in, which definitely can be improved upon. The pools also looked great and I was disappointed I missed out on this.

By and large, was surprised at how tasty it was. Fuego I couldn't understand why it was one of the more select restaurants as the food I had was a mash of Mole and the Mediterranean restaurant. Wasn't one of my favourites. But generally it was all good, and no one got sick, indeed they even had health inspectors checking on food temps.

The best part for us though was Bar Gabi and the big sand pit - our two kids had plenty of fun in a contained area while we had a couple of drinks after dinner.

Kids Pool Areas
Pirate ship brilliant for some kids, also an inflatable available for the big kids.

Room
Size was decent - big shower area and generally lived up to expectations for size and style. Would def recommend this room for those with young kids that go to bed before the parents. Didn't quite get the big jaccuzi outside, but heh whatever floats your boat.

Staff
Were very hard working. There were times that service was spotty - mainly in the mornings at breakfast - but they were always busy, needed organizing at times. They were also very good with our small children.

KidsZone (indoor)

Not a huge amount going on for 4 year old; our 2 year old was fine. But we did manage to have a couple of quick dinners and lunches using the Zone and our kids were happy enough with this. The outdoor KidsZone looked like a caged animal area, and again back to Jenturq's point the schedule was wrong so the kids missed the Easter Party. The staff made a quick save though with giving the kids baskets.

It is also close to Playa and a $10 trip out of the resort if you want to see something other than AI bubble land.

So the areas of improvement:

The bed saving as Jenturq indicated was crazy with people saving beds the night before (I have never seen this anywhere!). However, one staff member indicated that it had got out of control over Easter and they were starting to come down on it with cards on the beds/ cabanas which we saw - if they can manage to enforce this good for them, although not an easy path.

The reservations for restaurants is annoying particularly when they are basically empty when we eat (around 6:30PM). We basically ignored this, although we were preached to a couple of times about it like naughty children. How about reserving just for peak times instead?

The beach isn't the greatest for swimming - blue sea, soft sand, lots of beds, pretty to look at but it is rocky in places so you have to watch for it in the water. I don't know what if anything they can do about this, but that being said it didn't stop us going in or enjoying it.

Reception staff are pleasant, but I can imagine if you arrive behind a big group it would be slooowwww. As part of our deal they offered up a free baby sitting voucher, this took 6 attempts to get from them - nothing major, but irritating. Two has supposedly been delivered - think they got taken.

And the million dollar question - Family Concierge or not? I had a look round one day. The pool and restaurant looked dull (nothing for kids to do apart from lie on beds) and tons of treats, popcorn, muffins etc. scattered around the bar that as a parent was more of a nightmare than a perk (it was already tough enough trying to get them to eat a little fruit and veg in amongst the fries etc). The Beach area reserved for this group seemed out of the hub and ironically if you are all about exclusiveness, right next to areas more populated by the public (which we quite like to see life outside the bubble).

The one thing that baffled me from the beginning was that the larger rooms, great for families, were outside the FC area. As others have mentioned the smaller rooms get quite tight with kids.

The ocean view is also a waste of money unless you are in two specific buildings (one being Family Concierge), as it really is a dot on the horizon. I don't know how you can get lucky with this.

Overall, I can see why people were getting irritated - there's lots of small niggly things that can be improved upon like the schedules and water and cups running out one day at the Beach, and waiting for drinks at breakfast, but it was clean and safe, well styled, good food and overall for a 5 star in Mexico it weren't bad. And, most importantly, the kids were happy.

Room Tip: One Bed MasterSuite is best for space and kids will love the swim up
1 Thank lutonlassontour
Dear guest,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

By your complete review, we can see you have taken advantage of all the facilities, taste some delightful meals at our restaurants, enjoy the kid´s activities, the sandy area at Gabi Club, been pampered at Yhi Spa and relax completely at your swim up suite; without excluding the warm service that the staff provides every day.

Feedback like yours helps us to maintain the quality we work for; we will transfer your suggestions and observation to the managers from the involved areas for their detection in order to improve and avoid situations that could be considered as a problem for other guests. One example, just as you have mentioned, is about the bed saving at the pool. Now we have cards on beds saying it is forbidden to do it and in a short period of time we have had good results on it.

About your concern regarding the beach, we have a program to remove rocks and seaweed every day, we are sorry we gave you the impression we are not doing it consistently.

We are proud that you and your family have had a memorable stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda and we hope to host you again in the near future.

torrance, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I recently stayed at Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa Del Carmen.
This was without a doubt the worst AI experience I have ever had. I have previously stayed at over a dozen different AI’s including Melia, Iberostar, Royal, RIU, Dreams and others so I know what to expect.
Below are the notes of the multiple issues I had:
1. Upon arrival I was given an old activities schedule which caused numerous disappointments throughout my stay, and I feel it is important to note when this was brought to management’s attention (Many people were given the wrong schedule) they did NOTHING about it.
2. NO explanation was given about family concierge areas being off limits or limits on restaurants, which caused me embarrassment that day when I tried to use the family concierge area.
3. I was expecting a cell phone delivery and checked three times with the front desk, each time the heavy woman working there said it had not arrived, and finally the man working gave it to me and said it had been there the entire time. She never apologized or even smiled.
4. English was very poor at the front desk, and not one single person smiled or said hello to me the ENTIRE six days with the exception of Jean at the spa and my waiters.
5. My room was not ready so we headed to the pool, there was not ONE single chair available, we walked around everywhere and finally found plenty of spots at a remote pool only to be told we were not allowed there as it was the family concierge area which we were never told about.
6. Finally get to the room and it over looked a large patch of dirt and parking, also the lights did not work.
7. Security does not do its job at night and people reserved chairs and sun beds from one day to the next by leaving their belongings. Many guests were fighting each day over this and management and security did nothing about it.
8. We went to book spa appointments because the expedia website said over 12 years old and my child is 13. This is the main reason we chose this property so that we could spa together. We were told by the spa staff that 16 is the age not 12. Even though there was no one there they would not allow us appointments and were very rude (except Jean)
9. The next day we got a different room and the shower was not draining, it took four phone calls and two hours to get it fixed causing us to miss that evenings show.
10. Also the phone message light came on even though there were not messages and it took 6 calls and three days to get it turned off.
11. The directory in the room had a section for English and one for Spanish but the English section was blank
12. The TV directory was completely wrong in the listing of channels and weather the station was English or Spanish
13. We also went to yoga where again they told me over 16 not 12, I told them we were taking the class based on the web information and also that the spa staff told me the day before that we could. Again, all staff had very poor English.
14. I spoke to Jessica the manager on duty at night about all my problems and she said that the manager would contact me the next day (Tuesday) after my excursion. He never did so when I called him I had to relay the whole thing again. He said he could not do anything for me but maybe credit my bill for a spa treatment. Then when I told him about the sun bed issue he said he would have security try to save a bed for me and to find him in the morning. (his name started with an H…Hildago??)
15. Even though we were tired we stayed up to see the show and sat in the theatre full of people for 30 minutes past the scheduled time waiting. Multiple times entertainment staff looked in the theatre and left. When I finally went to the front desk to inquire the staff there and the entertainment director were too busy arguing over who gave out the wrong schedule that they could not be bothered to tell the theatre full of guests that there was no show that night.
16. When I found H. the next morning not only did he have no idea what had happened with the theater the night before but he also said the security staff was unable to secure me a bed that night before because they were all taken….he also said that he walked the property himself at 7:30 and they were indeed all taken. I explained to him that either he was lying to me OR his security was lying to him because I know for a fact there were Palapa beds available. I know this because I reserved a bed myself at 10PM and there were plenty available until 7AM. I know this for a fact because I was down on my Palapa at 6:30 AM. He did not apologize, just stared blankly at me. I suggested that he find some way to compensate me for my horrible experience since he did not do as he said he would and now my experience is even worse. He said he would see what he could do.
17. I never heard another word from him, and when I checked out I spoke to him and all he did was credit me $150 for the spa, which I happen to know was given out for no reason to many people staying there.
18. Finally, when I looked over my checkout receipt I found a 20.00 charge for UNICEF which was never mentioned or explained. Not that I mind that small amount at all, but it should NOT be just added to someone’s bill.
FYI – this property is only a four or five star IF you pay the extra for the family concierge service. Also I should point out that the special food and treats set up near the family concierge pool is available to ALL guests at the Melia in PV that I stayed at! This hotel is like a wolf in sheep’s clothing….it is very beautiful, but the lack of service and the unfriendly and unprofessional attitude of the staff makes it unbearable. Further, EVERY other AI that I have had the pleasure to stay at provided a show EVERY night for EVERYONE. This property only had shows every other night if you had family and not just adults.
As I said at the beginning of this letter, I have stayed at many AI’s and I have loved all of them. I generally go at least 2X per year. In fact I went back to the same Melia twice in a row because we had such a great time, but this was the worst vacation experience of my life and there is no way to express what a waste of my time and money it was.

Room Tip: Make sure you pay for ocean view otherwise you are looking out onto dirt lot
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank jenturq
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Paradisus La Esmeralda. At Paradisus we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important as we already let you know trough the letter we sent directly to your email account.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we finished reading your notes, we were truly sorry for the fact that we did not appear to have succeeded in this occasion with our main goal: your total satisfaction. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experience and please be assure, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

We have even reviewed the web site information Expedia in order to assure that the information our clients receives coincides with our current policies, due, although our spa staff offered you a service massage in family concierge, we comprehend you preferred to enjoy the spa facilities.

It is a shame also that, our UNICEF help strategy could be misunderstood due lack of communication, causing reject in our appreciated guests instead of a complete conviction to contribute with this laudable program.

We do hope sincerely that this somewhat negative experience will not deter you from returning to this hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
1.5 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,677 reviews
33.7 km away
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK