I recently stayed at Paradisus La Esmeralda Playa Del Carmen.
This was without a doubt the worst AI experience I have ever had. I have previously stayed at over a dozen different AI’s including Melia, Iberostar, Royal, RIU, Dreams and others so I know what to expect.
Below are the notes of the multiple issues I had:
1. Upon arrival I was given an old activities schedule which caused numerous disappointments throughout my stay, and I feel it is important to note when this was brought to management’s attention (Many people were given the wrong schedule) they did NOTHING about it.
2. NO explanation was given about family concierge areas being off limits or limits on restaurants, which caused me embarrassment that day when I tried to use the family concierge area.
3. I was expecting a cell phone delivery and checked three times with the front desk, each time the heavy woman working there said it had not arrived, and finally the man working gave it to me and said it had been there the entire time. She never apologized or even smiled.
4. English was very poor at the front desk, and not one single person smiled or said hello to me the ENTIRE six days with the exception of Jean at the spa and my waiters.
5. My room was not ready so we headed to the pool, there was not ONE single chair available, we walked around everywhere and finally found plenty of spots at a remote pool only to be told we were not allowed there as it was the family concierge area which we were never told about.
6. Finally get to the room and it over looked a large patch of dirt and parking, also the lights did not work.
7. Security does not do its job at night and people reserved chairs and sun beds from one day to the next by leaving their belongings. Many guests were fighting each day over this and management and security did nothing about it.
8. We went to book spa appointments because the expedia website said over 12 years old and my child is 13. This is the main reason we chose this property so that we could spa together. We were told by the spa staff that 16 is the age not 12. Even though there was no one there they would not allow us appointments and were very rude (except Jean)
9. The next day we got a different room and the shower was not draining, it took four phone calls and two hours to get it fixed causing us to miss that evenings show.
10. Also the phone message light came on even though there were not messages and it took 6 calls and three days to get it turned off.
11. The directory in the room had a section for English and one for Spanish but the English section was blank
12. The TV directory was completely wrong in the listing of channels and weather the station was English or Spanish
13. We also went to yoga where again they told me over 16 not 12, I told them we were taking the class based on the web information and also that the spa staff told me the day before that we could. Again, all staff had very poor English.
14. I spoke to Jessica the manager on duty at night about all my problems and she said that the manager would contact me the next day (Tuesday) after my excursion. He never did so when I called him I had to relay the whole thing again. He said he could not do anything for me but maybe credit my bill for a spa treatment. Then when I told him about the sun bed issue he said he would have security try to save a bed for me and to find him in the morning. (his name started with an H…Hildago??)
15. Even though we were tired we stayed up to see the show and sat in the theatre full of people for 30 minutes past the scheduled time waiting. Multiple times entertainment staff looked in the theatre and left. When I finally went to the front desk to inquire the staff there and the entertainment director were too busy arguing over who gave out the wrong schedule that they could not be bothered to tell the theatre full of guests that there was no show that night.
16. When I found H. the next morning not only did he have no idea what had happened with the theater the night before but he also said the security staff was unable to secure me a bed that night before because they were all taken….he also said that he walked the property himself at 7:30 and they were indeed all taken. I explained to him that either he was lying to me OR his security was lying to him because I know for a fact there were Palapa beds available. I know this because I reserved a bed myself at 10PM and there were plenty available until 7AM. I know this for a fact because I was down on my Palapa at 6:30 AM. He did not apologize, just stared blankly at me. I suggested that he find some way to compensate me for my horrible experience since he did not do as he said he would and now my experience is even worse. He said he would see what he could do.
17. I never heard another word from him, and when I checked out I spoke to him and all he did was credit me $150 for the spa, which I happen to know was given out for no reason to many people staying there.
18. Finally, when I looked over my checkout receipt I found a 20.00 charge for UNICEF which was never mentioned or explained. Not that I mind that small amount at all, but it should NOT be just added to someone’s bill.
FYI – this property is only a four or five star IF you pay the extra for the family concierge service. Also I should point out that the special food and treats set up near the family concierge pool is available to ALL guests at the Melia in PV that I stayed at! This hotel is like a wolf in sheep’s clothing….it is very beautiful, but the lack of service and the unfriendly and unprofessional attitude of the staff makes it unbearable. Further, EVERY other AI that I have had the pleasure to stay at provided a show EVERY night for EVERYONE. This property only had shows every other night if you had family and not just adults.
As I said at the beginning of this letter, I have stayed at many AI’s and I have loved all of them. I generally go at least 2X per year. In fact I went back to the same Melia twice in a row because we had such a great time, but this was the worst vacation experience of my life and there is no way to express what a waste of my time and money it was.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the beach and surrounded by mangrove trees, Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda is an all-inclusive four Diamond resort with its promise of all-inclusive fun and LUXExclusive experience designed with the entire family. All suites feature a private balcony or terrace and include air conditioning with climate control, free Wi-Fi, 24-hour room Service, cable TV service, Minibar, in-room safe, complimentary toiletries, bathrobes, living area with sofa and a coffee maker. Services for relaxation and pampering include a YHI Spa, a hair salon ($), Wedding services, tours/ticket assistance and a business center. World-class facilities including Family Concierge ($), Fitness, YHI Kids, Kids Zone, Kids Club, Baby Club, Game Room, Life enriching experience, Kids Pool. The resort offers 14 restaurants to choose from which are open daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Melia Hotels APAC, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Paradisus By Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda Riviera Maya