“Pleasant Surprise - can't wait to go back!”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #29 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Sorry for the delay in this but we traveled to Riu Palace for a week last April. Upon arrival, we were greeted with drinks and our rooms were immediately ready. This resort was beyond accomadating between their lavish beaches, delicious food and relaxing bar. It was my birthday so I got a beach massage and it was beyond glorious! My friends had told them it was my birthday so they decorated the room and provided a special dinner at the restaurant near the beach. It may be a simple thing but don't pass up the ice cream machine when heading back to the beach - it's the perfect sweet treat! Also, relax and enjoy the bar by the lobby - they make delicious martinis and there's also Wi-Fi.
5th Ave is only a few minutes away so I recommend hopping in a cab and spending an afternoon/evening doing that. Overall it was a wonderful experience and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Gena N
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Just returned on 5/1/12 from 6 days of absolute paradise. Stayed at the RIU Palace Mexico and can't wait to plan our next trip soon. The hotel was absolutely breath taking and the staff what can I say, they were amazing. From the time we walked into the hotel till we left we were waited on hand and foot. The check in process was a breeze our room was goregous. With turn down service daily with nice surprises done to our room. The wait staff at breakfast was amazing and by the end of the week they new us by name. The pool bartenders were absolutely the main attraction for our group. Thanks to Ameile (Poof) and Ernesto absolutely made the week a great time. They served us at the pool and at the courtyard. They seen us coming and knew what drinks we were wanting. Carmen and Raul were so great to us as welll. I can't wait to return soon I definielty would recommend this place to anyone...

The food at every meal was so good and so many varieties. If you could not find something to eat there was always room service. So many choices from fresh fruits, to pastries to hot buffet meats to breakfast made for you and pastas and mexican... There was something for everyone all the time. Sushi was wonderful thanks.

Room Tip: We were in room 123 but seriously who is in their rooms throughout the day.... They were clean and w...
2  Thank Cheermomma
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Just stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico, and will preface that I'm not a fan of all inclusives to begin with. I had a major problem with them when booking (had a confirmed reservation through the Riu Property phone (1888Riu...) only to find out a week before going that I was put on a "wait list"?! That issue eventually was resolved, but not without major panic and disrespect from the supervisor I spoke with). So upon arrival, I was hoping that everything would be smoothly. However, when we got there at 1am, I noticed that the bill was not correct, and wanted to charge me much more than what was quoted (BRING BACKUP EMAILS WITH YOU!!!) and had me staying an extra day- I think that's what saved me- they couldn't argue it at all. I agree with the other travelers- it smelled musty/mildewey i the lobby, but that didn't bother me, as I knew I'd be on the beach most of the time. Upon arriving in our room, I was pleasantly surprised by the size- and thankfully it didn't smell all too bad, and no plastic on the sheets- I actually thought the bed was very comfortable. We were starving and wanted room service, but there was no menu in our room- we were supposed to get one the next day- never happened. The room service food was horrible, and I was worried that was indicative of the rest of the food (which it was).
The pros of the hotel: the staff is very kind and friendly. The grounds are beautifully kept. The beach and pool are great, and never struggled to find a chair, etc.
Cons: food is not good. Call me a foodie, but it's just not good, and there is no variety whatsoever... there's a lot of it, but the quality and variety day by day lacks. If you're a big drinker, it makes sense to stay here, as the drinks are included, but if you want good food and updated rooms, this is not your place.
The inside of the hotel needs a lot of work to match its grounds. From what I hear, they're doing an upgrade in August- I'd be curious to see the lobby/rooms then, and wonder if the food is going to receive an "upgrade" as well.

Room Tip: We were on the courtyard on the first floor, which did get a bit loud sometimes.
Reviewed 2 May 2012

stayed here last august with wife & daughter age 15, on arrivel fast check in stright to the room which was very nice mini bar with optics fantastic, food was very good with lots to chose from around the pool area lots of sun beds all day then you walk past the pool & on to the beech trees & white sand & a blue warm clear sea and lots of sun beds
back to the pool swim up bar very good with lots of choice & good staff all wanting to help
the admin team work hard all day & night with good shows some shows are outside great nights the bar staff carnt do enough for you
this hotel is one of the best hotels i have ever stayed in & will go back
from the moment you walk in to the time you leave the hotel the staff take care of you
thank you rui palace mexico we will be back soon

Room Tip: all rooms are good not much in size
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tommoWestyorkshire
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We (6 females ages 28-36) traveled to Playa April 19-26th staying at the Rui Palace Mexico. I was less than satisfied with this all inclusive resort. The lobby smelled horrible. A very strong musk/mold smell which they attempted to cover with incense. The food was nothing to brag about...the buffet or the restaurants. Making reservations for the restaurants was a hassle. I had no idea when booking this resort that eating was similair to a cruise situation. I felt the beverage selection was limited and poor. The resort was beautiful and kept very neat. The pool area and the beach were great. This place was rec. by our travel agent. I do not beleive it was age appropriate. I found that the other guest were much older. The entertainemnt with in the resort was poor at best. The housekeeping staff were wonderful and did a great job keeping our room clean. The staff were polite. The place overall just felt stuffy and very boring. We found ourselves going across the street to Rui Tequila and into Playa for entertainment. We loved Mexico but I will not return to that resort

3  Thank Brandi6039
4.7 km away
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#103 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK