7,310 results
All reviews star friends howler monkeys jungle area specialty restaurants swim up bar dressel divers japanese restaurant ate at the japanese pool beach gated community other resorts emailed the hotel plenty of chairs magic show cab ride buffet food shows at night
Reviewed 7 March 2018

Traveled with a solo travel group (50+). It is a great resort. Has one of the most beautiful pools you will see anywhere. The beach is gorgeous as you can walk forever, there is a seaweed problem on that coast on and off but the hotel can't control that. They work hard to clear the seaweed but some days it is just too much. The problem seems to come and go and is unpredictable.

Upgrade to a superior room when you book through your tour operator. It is reasonable that way and worth the upgraded room and location close to the beach.

Food was very good. The resort chef came around quite often to tables in the different offices to see how the food was and to ask about any dietary concerns. You can see they are trying to step up their food and service.

There are no elevators so keep that in mind. The call the floors ground, 1st and 2nd. We may call them 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Everyone loves the jungle like feel between the beach and lobby area and the monkeys (wild) are fun to watch.They are making a new disco coming soon to replace the one they lost in their fire. They need one for the wedding groups etc. The staff are really wonderful and make this resort fantastic. One complaint would be the "towel game". Resorts need to get a handle on the saving of loungers. And to those folks that feel the need to save loungers at the beach AND the pool....shame on you for being that selfish.

All in all a great stay and I would return.

Room Tip: Upgrade when booking to a superior room. Worth the little extra cost. No elevators!
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Travellinfool
Quality Manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for having chosen IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal as your recent vacation spot.

We are happy to read that the entire group was pleased with our resort offer and services from our restaurant venue, to our accommodating staff and the lovely jungle layout. We would like to inform you that extraordinary measures are being taken regarding sunbeds early reservations, in order to offer our guests a pleasant stay. We apologize about this inconvenience and will continue working hard to improve.

It would be a pleasure to have the opportunity to host you again for another memorable getaway.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2018

We travelled Feb 25-March 6. We had a fantastic experience. The resort is very nicely laid out and Iberostar has done a great job of creating/maintaining a jungle effect in the midst of the resort.

The food is excellent. The Buffet was varied and interesting. There were theme nights so if you missed out on an a la carte restaurant you could still experience "Italian Night", "Japanese Night" and "Mexican Night". Of course we ate too much...it all looked and tasted wonderful. We always found lots to interest us and to enjoy. We had NO quibbles about the Buffet.

We went to the Italian (our favourite), Japanese (good but the Tepinyake stuff always seems the same wherever I've been), and the Steak House. The a la carte restaurants were very nice and seemed just a little bit more special compared to the Buffet (though we were very happy to go to the Buffet).

The resort is smaller in size than Iberostar Paraiso Beach but the quality was the same. We were at Paraiso Beach February 2016 and 2017. We changed sites this year to experience a slightly more urban resort. Playacar itself is quiet and non-obtrusive but you can easily walk into Playa del Carmen itself and experience the hustle and bustle of a tourist town.

We were initially checked into a room with two double beds but they found an equivalent room for us with a king-size bed that we moved to on day 3. I'm pretty sure we had requested a King bed when we booked. Not really an issue as we did get a room change. In addition, I believe the septic system vent on the roof of the building was plugged (leaves perhaps) as several times the sink gurgled and a septic system smell became evident in the bathroom. We probably should have notified the concierge while we were there. The nightly shows are high quality but LOUD. Our room was close to the beach and a bit removed from the sound. I wore ear plugs to sleep but the show ends about 11:00. Otherwise I think that this is a quiet resort.

The pool is great and my wife really enjoyed the Aqua-size Classes. The resort makes a herculean effort to keep the beach clear of all the seaweed that is washing up on it. Their beach is clearly the best maintained of all the stretches of beach along the strip to Playa.

We plan on going back next year. I mostly kept busy diving with the Dressel Divers dive Shop on site. There really is something for everyone at this resort. We highly recommend Iberostar Tucan.

Room Tip: The Superior Standard Rooms are closer to the beach and are further from the very loud evening shows.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen H

Dear guest,

Thank you for this occasion having chosen IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal to have your vacation.

We could not be happier to read that you had such a memorable experience at our resort and that all aspects of your stay were satisfactory and accommodating. Certainly, our staff will gladly assist you with any concern you may have during your stay, and make it into a pleasant one. We truly appreciate that you have listed your highlights.

Thank you for your recommendation and preference and we will look forward to host you again soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Iberostsr Tucan in Playa Del Carmen

This is definitely not a 5 Star resort. If I hadn’t spent so much money on this vacation I would not have been as annoyed paying as much as I did to stay there and my experience could have been better. But for the price I paid and quality of food I received was NOT worth it.

The buffet food was not good at all! I read reviews where people said it was and I was hopeful but It tasted like frozen food warmed up. I could deal with that if i only had to eat it a few times over our trip but I was stuck eating that food every single day 2-3 times a day because the restaurants on site were always booked with no availability.

We were told we had to make reservations to get into the restaurants so we tried immediately the next day but they said they were completely booked up! So the 5 days we were there we got in ONCE and it was because a friend of ours spoke Spanish and begged the guy to allow us to eat there. They finally said yes but said we only had two options of food to pick from since they stayed opened for us. I appreciated that but i was still also frustrated we weren’t told to book it ahead of time before our trip or we would have to secure some times. We were told if we just show up they may let us in and we tried repeatedly but only got in that one time. The food was excellent in the restaurant but for 5 days I was stuck eating crappy buffet meals and terrible room service food. I was highly disappointed and felt like I threw away thousands of dollars on this trip :(

As far as the resort, the outside was nice with the jungle and the pool area connecting to it was nice too. The beach was beautiful but just note there are men constantly trying to sell you stuff while you’re outside relaxing.

The room was okay but nothing fancy. I was grossed out when I went to grab a tissue and a roach came out of the tissues! But it was cool to walk out of the resort and see peacocks and monkeys. The room was filled with water bottles and a coffee maker. But honestly I did not make coffee because it was dirty. As far as the staff, they were pretty friendly.

I really feel like they should have the restaurants open to all their guest and allow them to get in! When we first got there we didn’t know about that so the next morning we went to the front desk to reserve some times but nope they said eveyrhting was booked until that next Tuesday which was the day we were leaving. I went back every day and told them how we weren’t been able to get in and our last day was Tuesday but they didn’t care or do anything about it. That’s why I was so frustrated.

So unless you’re okay with eating buffet food and crappy room service food everyday I definitely would not recommend this place.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lauren S
Reviewed 5 March 2018

We spent 2 weeks here and were extremely happy with everything the resort had to offer.

We have a 3 year old, and although there were other families, I would say at the time we went, the majority of the guests were 50+ and not many kids around the place. The way the pools are set out is excellent - a small fenced off kids only area with their own little pool and slides, but with plenty of sun loungers around it, so you can sit and watch them.

Then an adults only pool with bar, and then a huge pool area for everyone else. Hundreds of sun loungers, but surprisingly by 7.30am most were 'reserved' with towels....a bit frustrating, but a small frustration really. If you want a sun lounger with shade on the beach, you'll need to get up very early, as these were the first to go every day.

Lots of team activities that you can take part in, the Iberostar team do a great job of trying to involve everyone, never pushy, just keen to give everyone a memorable holiday and a few laughs.

Beach was beautiful, quite large waves when we were there and a strong undercurrent on a few of the days, so if you're with kids, keep an eye on the warning flags.

Food was excellent, I fail to see how anyone could come onto trip advisor and complain, there is literally something for everyone. If you're not dining in one of the 'themed' restaurants, then you'll be in the buffet, but we thought it was excellent. We have stayed at all inclusive resorts before and the buffet has been awful - no atmosphere, not much choice and awful service - but this is definitely not the case here. The food choice was incredible, lovely atmosphere, never rushed and great service.

Used the gym a couple of times which was small and hot, but they also run classes in the day too, which looked really good. Had a massage on the beach which was lovely, not the best massage i've ever had, but what a location!

We had a room by the pool and we all loved walking through the jungle every day - monkeys, peacocks, always something new to spot! Don't worry if you think you're not going to get to see a monkey because there was always some idiot ignoring the 'DO NOT FEED' signs and feeding them.

Room was great, and the housekeepers kept it spotless every day. It was very noisy in the room when everyone was at the show (usually starts at 9.30pm), music went on most nights until midnight. You get used to it in the end.

We went into Playa del Carmen a few nights which was really fun and very close, lots of good shopping. We also went out to Xcaret for the day which I would highly recommend - what a fabulous place. Plus we hired a car and went to explore Tulum which was also beautiful. If you're staying for more than a week, it's nice to get out of the hotel and see a bit more of Mexico.

Would highly recommend this resort, we had no complaints, staff work SO hard in all areas of the resort to make this a great holiday for you. We loved it.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank EmmaBorer

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal as your recent Caribbean destination.

It is wonderful to read that you were truly pleased with your stay, highlighting the natural surroundings, daily activities, lovely beach, tasty food and relaxing ambience. We are also happy to know that your children had the best time. Your comments are of great help to look for improvement and continue providing memorable experiences.

We truly appreciate your positive remarks and kind recommendation and recognition to our staff, hoping we can have the pleasure to serve you again soon!

Reviewed 4 March 2018

For the most part this is a good and descent resort. The staff was friendly, the rooms kept clean and the Ala carts were very good. The activities and the fun crew were entertaining and engaging. The Tucan is located in Playa Car and is very safe and within walking distance to a small market and even to 5th Ave. Between the Tucan and the Quenzal is a jungle area with many critters. Howler monkey, peacocks, and iguanas. It is an interesting feature of this resort. The pools are nice and the beach is super large. If you are Canadian, take your own Clamato juice or if you look for it you can find it at an Oxxo store or Mega, or Walmart. Highlight, The Steakhouse was exceptional. You have to have the tenderloin. It will probably be the best piece of meat on the resort. Ask for Angel, he is a great server and will make certain that you are taken care of very well. All in all a clean and affordable resort.

Stayed: February 2018
4  Thank dwasal

Dear guest,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for having chosen IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We are happy to read that you had a lovely getaway at our resorts and that you were pleased with our services, fun activities, charming layout and its wildlife and the delicious steak form our restaurant venue.

Thank you for your positive remarks and comments and we hope for the pleasure of welcoming you again to our hotel.

Kindly,