7,201 results
All reviewsstar friendshowler monkeysjungle areaspecialty restaurantsswim up bardressel diversjapanese restaurantate at the japanesepool beachgated communityother resortsemailed the hotelplenty of chairsmagic showcab rideapple vacationsbuffet food
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We just returned from a seven day stay at the Iberostar Tucan. It was our first trip to this resort. Check in was a breeze, no waiting friendly staff which greeted us with a glass of fresh juice. We arrived early in the morning before our room was ready, but we were able to leave our luggage with the staff in lobby; which they watched closely while we explored the resort and headed for the beach.

The grounds are immaculate, I have NEVER been to a resort where the staff is endlessly working to keep the grounds clean and maintained to perfection. They are friendly and always greet you with a warm smile (Hola), making you feel very welcome. The entertainment staff "Star Friends" who are very talented... are remarkable, they arrive early in the morning and must stay until the wee hours; they do everything from water zumba (Yeah Ricard "King of Zumba") beach parties, magic shows for the kids, to various beach games through out the day.... and in the evening the same staff puts on a variety of shows (Vegas, Mexican Folklore, etc.) everyday!!! The activities are endless, free scuba lessons (Alex was great), complementary catamaran's and kyak's, beach vollyball, ping pong - along with optional jet ski, and parasailing (at a very reasonable price - however don't pay the first price they say ..... they will go down).

Once we arrived to our room it was very clean. We were in building 12 which was very close to the buffet, beach and pool; a perfect location. One of the best parts was the abundant wildlife; Howler monkey's, Iquana's, Peacocks, Flamingo's, Sereque's, and Tucan - great for kids. The best time to see the monkey's is very early in the morning or early evening - if you hear a big growl like a big dog - they are close by just look up.

The Ala Carte restaurants we tried were great, the Japanese and the Tropical were our favorite. Our steaks at the Tropical were cooked to perfection and the Japanese was a night of fun, laughs and good food; you must try the fried banana and ice cream dessert it was delightful. The buffets were all good too, however the food was very repetative - not bad for a few days, but got a little tired after seven. The ice cream stand between the beach and pool was a favorite with our family - chocolate chip was the BEST!!! Our waiters were all wonderful, very friendly and will wait on you like you are royalty - by the second day they knew us by name. ALL of the Iberostar staff seem to really enjoy their jobs. We spoke with many of them, Dominico (at the big buffet) has been working their for over ten years and he said he loves it more each day - and it shows in his service a very happy man! Be sure to request his section in the large buffet.

The drinks were pretty good, daquiri and dirty monkey's were the best, however we did notice that the drinks at the lobby bar were far better than the drinks at other bars although Victor at the beach bar was GREAT!! I think this was mainly because of the house liquor brands and not the bartenders.

The beach was beautiful, clean and just as pristine as could be. The pool was VERY warm, but then what do you expect in the middle of July, it too was spotless.

If you want to go shopping I recommend 5th Avenue, we went there twice and it was great, lots of shops and restaurants; they are willing to bicker prices A LOT much more than we found when shopping at the Plaza down the street from the hotel (they seemed to be all fixed prices). One of the waiters (Roberto) from Iberostar (who was off) recognized us while we were shopping at 5th avenue, and came over just to say "hi" and to see if we were enjoying our trip to Mexico. We talked with him for probabaly a good 30 minutes - just shooting the breeze - Roberto did not have to even speak, but we're glad he did very nice man! A taxi from the hotel to 5th Avenue is only $7 + tip, but well worth the trip.

We have stayed at many all-inclusive hotels abroad and I can honestly say that the Iberostar Tucan is at the top of our list - especially for the price. You will not find a friendlier staff nor a cleaner resort! Perfect for couples or families. Remember to tip well it too can make a difference!!!

11  Thank Tq1008
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Check in - quick and easy. Front desk staff helpful & courteous
Check out - quick and easy. Able to get a late check out if available at $10/hr.
Cancun Transfers - best way to privately travel to and from resort.
Rooms - Average - a bit on the smaller size, tough spacing for a family of 4, but clean. No adjoining rooms on property. Mattesses are on a cement slab. Everyone had back pain including my 16 year old who can sleep any where. If you have back problems this should be taken into consideration. Resort has mattress pads upon request. This did not alleviate back pain for my family.
Room safes - about 8" x 8" and operate from a code you choose. No issues with theft.
Hair dryers, irons and some amenities such as shampoo, conditioner, comb, & sewing kit provided. Alarm clocks, but no ipod docking stations. No electrical converters needed.
Buffets - typical. Gets redundent the longer you stay. Try the Japanese (can't go wrong). None in our party of 11 (ages 13 to 46) enjoyed the italian or mexican al la cartes. Very pushy waite staff (due to reservation timings). Food was normal for an all - inclusive at this price point.
Evening Shows - best of all resorts we have been to in Mexico (remember people you are not in Vegas or NYC). The entertainment staff work long days and long hours.
Pools - 1 large main pool. Bring a raft or flotation device. Most of it is not usable for any long period due to depth of water. There is a good area for small children. A smaller pool for water basketball. Adult pool with swim up bar is tiny.
Drinks - top shelf in lobby bar. Beach bar is very busy but wait times were minimal. Soda fountain available with coke products and orange Fanta. If you do not like the water out of the fountain, ask the bar staff for water. It's bottled and tastes much better.
Beach - Beautiful. Maintenance workers clean debris every day. They work hard to keep this area well maintained. Huts available as well as a beach umbrellas. You should not have any issues with shade. Beach towels provided with towel cards. If you lose your towel there is a $10/towel charge. I absolutely hate this method used by some resorts. We manned towels all day for 11 people to make sure we had no issue.
Wildlife - as everyone else has said, it's quite interesting and fun for everyone.
Nightlife - nightclub available on property for those interested. Obviously you are a cab ride away from the great night life in playa. Paid $7/cab. Resort really pushes a club in town.
Vendors on beach every day, as well as, beach spa personnel. They will stop by all day long. If you say no, they keep on going with no issue. Spa on property near lobby. Resort jewelry store and convenience store on property in lobby. Photography as well.
Ping pong tables available near pool (close at 7pm) and billiard tables available at the show area. No game room or teen center. If you have teens they will be quite bored in the evenings. Tennis and basketball courts are outside main lobby near the weight room. You will be able to get a decent work-out in, but gym is very hot. Soccer available on the basketball court as well. Bicycle tours of playa community for adults 2x daily.
If you normally have problems with mosquito or bug bites, you will definitely need your bug spray here.
Dress code - slacks are required for men or older teens in most restaurants. If you forget, they have slacks available free of charge. Very casual resort. Dress as you like. Buffets not air conditioned.
Staff - everyone we met or talk to was kind and friendly. Buffet restaurant wait staff were some of the best we have seen in all our travels. We tipped at all meals and tipped our maid every 3rd day when we wanted our room clean. We stayed on property for 9 days. Resort not big enough for an extended stay in our opinion. Not enough variety.

2  Thank GODs_blessing
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This was our second time to the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan complex, fourth to the area..
We had a lovely vacation at the Iberostar:
check in was quick (even on a Sunday) easy and we were greeted with chilled juice..
Our room was just what we requested, near the pool, king bed and no smoking, perfect
(we had requested this by e-mail a couple of weeks before departure)
We also had booked our specialty restaurants via e-mail...this worked out well also (really liked this feature)
check out was as easy, no problems

the room was cleaned well, air worked well
we found the pool to be pristine clean (quite warm as it is summer) but crystal clear
the ocean (more to our liking) ....plenty of palapas and they also give out many umbrellas...the towel game lives on of course.....the beach was very nice, bit of a step down when entering but beautiful...first few days there was no sea weed but there was a few days with a fair amount washing in...the staff was working hard to clear the beach. I don't know if this is annual, a storm out at sea or just the currents...but the ocean is fickled and by the end of the week the seaweed seemed to have found someplace else to go...
There was a hatching of beautiful yellow butterflies that just seem to never end...

we loved the restaurant near the beach and ate many breakfasts and lunches there, very easy, very comfortable
the buffets were good (truthfully maybe a little cut back from 4 years ago) but still quite good and always found something yummy
now let me say this about the a la carte restaurants, I have been disappointed and typically don't expect much, I would rather go down town but.....
the Japanese was very very good, the cook was very entertaining and the food was delicious and they gave you plenty
the steak house was quite good as well, the service was quite professional and the steak was good...
night entertainment was quite good some nights, the magician was very good, a couple of the nights it was only fair....the up side to the night entertainment is that they had live music most nights before, during and after the shows, I loved this...there was some dancing as well...we did not visit the disco so can not comment on this...
we spent a large amount of our time at the resort only going downtown a couple of times and out for a day trip x1.....
Iberostar, I think, takes pride in their establishment and it shows....
It is an older resort but the location, pride of ownership and dedication of the hard working staff make Iberostar a great choice....

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Jean A
Reviewed 25 July 2011

So first off a little about us.. We are yearly visitors to the Cozumel area and this is my 3rd visit to the Playa Del Carmen area. We love Cozumel but just did not find a good last minute deal so we started looking in the Playacar area especially since they re-did the beach area and I had heard it was pretty nice. We did love the beach at this resort but we still found ourselves craving for Cozumel waters which are a lot more clearer than the Playa del Carmen side of things... but more than that we are beach people and we got an excellent deal via apple vacations and decided to jump on it. Also when in Cozumel we prefer eating at our favorite loncheria's and taco joints so we are not real AI folks. The deal was so good it was only $100 more for this all inclusive compared to other non all inclusive hotels so we thought lets go for it..for an extra $100 it was an excellent deal and if we saw this come up again we might pounce on it.
First off the grounds of the hotel are lovely- 4-5* and they kept our room nice... great ac, decent water pressure and hot water, fresh stocked fridge etc, our bed was hard too- we slept on it the first night and next day asked for an egg crate mattress pad and it was much better. great beach service on the beach but we still got our own no problem on that. The beach was nice and we preferred to get our own beach umbrella to be closer to the water- which to us felt nicer and with more breeze than the palapa area. The beach did get crowded with guests but I'm still mesmerized by that blue water so I was fine (again we are beach people and I was happy to be on vacation). We didn't go to any of the shows it was not really our thing. We enjoyed the people who worked at the resort very much...everyone was helpful and fun to be around (5* on the customer service) My only BUT in our vacation was the food... I know what to expect for AI's but I'm still not really sold on them because I don't think the food is that great and it does get old at 1.5 days. I think if you can sign up for as much of the specialty restaurants as possible that would be a good idea... I know they limit they amount but you can also sign up if any one cancels there reservations. Also know we don't eat fancy when we have gone to Coz but I love going to taco places where we get fresh yummy taco's for under a dollar each and they are great...so I don't eat really fancy anyways and I kept telling myself I'll just make tacos and I'll be fine... but I found the food lacking. We both enjoyed the breakfast buffet- I would say no problems with this- we loved the fresh fruit juices and fruits available everyday, we loved having omelettes made from scratch and surprisingly we liked the coffee too. Lunch was a different story -I really didn't like much of the lunch buffet but I do love guacamole and chips and sometimes would just go with that option. I also made fish tacos out of the white fish they had daily and just put this between one of the quesadillas added a bit of pico and it was okay- nothing I was craving for more but okay. One day on the beach for lunch they serve a paella and it was really good and flavorful but if you see it in the lunch buffet just know you may be eating left over paella. We had bites of pizza, ravioli and not so great. I do have a good tip- if you want to know what the hand made pasta will taste like in the ala carte italian restaurant taste it here it seemed to be the same and sorry but its gross- it tasted like the pasta was made from flour tortilla dough- something is off but they aren't so good..(also a not to skip the italian food place -or order something other than pasta there). My husband did fine at lunch because he was happy with a fresh grilled burger everyday and they were really pretty good. The dinner buffet the first night was fun because they really do have a huge selection of food and like many other reviews before me you should be able to find something you'll like- just don't expect much... I ended up making my own taco's again... We did eat a little late 8-8'30 just so it would cool down and did find some of the interesting dishes of the night to be lacking at that time ... one day it looked like they had baked a large grouper and would have loved a piece of this but it was really picked over at that time.... another day it looked like they had some type of roast but it looked overcooked and dry. I had some decent ceviche there with shrimp and white fish- not too bad but I wish it was a little cooler and had some chicken Mole and wished it was a little warmer- it made me a little nervous not to finish the whole chkn thigh but the sauce on it was really delicious. They have tons of deserts but I'm not really a desert person- the ice cream was okay a little too sweet for me... I did enjoy the lime and coconut candy/desert- just a few bites-its kind of interesting to me I don't know why- just something I don't see that much around our hispanic neighborhoods. We ate at the Japanese restaurant and it was ok to good- yes like beni hanna's but not quite as fresh in my book but if I went back would still book here. We enjoyed the show and had great service. The italian food restaurant was not that good I sent my pasta back - it was gross to me and the waiter recommended I try the lamb chops which were cooked perfectly. Not the greatest sauce of veggies that went with it but I love me some lamb chops... My husband got the pork medallians or something like that and they came out luke warm and it was just so so. The thing that was okay was the appetizer buffet... which had a few nice cheeses on it.. I had a nice slice of brie and a nice slice of goat cheese so I was happy with that - could of used more of a green salad too but it wasn't really set up like that... the other items on this were just mediocre. I would skip this restaurant if we went back.. We did enjoy being in AC for both of these restaurants and really did choose the italian over the steak place because of this. The pool was fun to jump into after the ocean but still pretty warm so we preferred cooling off in the ocean... The pool is very large and we didn't feel too crowded - there was always a place to hang out. Never made it to the pool bar - it does look kind of gross to me too. The beach is wavy but nothing you can really body surf but we still liked cooling off in the water... on busy days the jet ski's go crazy and we weren't crazy about this since we enjoy just hearing the ocean waves on the shore. One of the other reasons for coming over to the Playa side was my husband never saw Tulum so we rented a car from the hotel (which I normally don't do since its pricier than getting one in town but didn't want to mess with the logistics of doing that so it was worth the higher price IMO) good service and off we go to Tulum- We loved seeing it and then I wanted to explore some of the beach clubs of Tulum. I had heard south Tulum had better beaches and we went to check out the beach in front of the OM resort and it was just okay and we didn't even stay which I thought we may stay at 2 locations (it was pretty but so was the beach at the Tucan and at the Tucan we have beach service for free... next we went to North Tulum area and found a great beach at El Paraiso - its a beach club and its on a gorgeous stretch of beach- we went swimming (no rocks in July) and took some photos and had a beer for an hour. I had really thought maybe Tulum would be my next favorite spot but I think I'll stick to Cozumel beaches from here on out. Back to the hotel for more ocean time. We did like the beer on tap at the hotel - we think Dos Equis (xx) but we didn't really care for their mixed drinks from the beach bar- even when adding a double I think they may water down...They use syrups for their mixed drinks so it may have been just too sugary or not that fresh fruit that I like ..they did use fresh banana's in their banana daquari's or dirty monkeys which were okay for one. We like just having a beer and a shot of tequila or mezcal every once in a while. The mojito's and capriahana's where not bad either. The lobby bar was nice and we enjoyed the classical guitar player too and seemed to have better drinks up there as well. All in all it was a nice get away and if the deal came around again at The Tucan i wouldn't hesitate staying there again- but maybe budget for a few nights in PDC for dinner.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jujubeetravel
Reviewed 23 July 2011

SUMMARY OF THE QUETZAL / TUCAN

After reading many reviews on tripadvisor I settled on the Quetzal / Tucan in Playacar for our two week family holiday in Mexico, booking with Thomas Cook. (They are essentially the same hotel sharing pools and a la carte facilities but with their own lobbies, bars and buffets which can be shared amongst guests). Not sure why the Tucan seems to get a higher rating on tripadvisor than the Quetzal since there didn't appear to be any difference in reality. One explanation could be the slightly different mix of people staying in each. Some operators like Thomas Cook use the Quetzal side in the main for example, others use the Tucan side.

On the whole this place is fantastic and I found the reviews on trip advisor very accurate. It does have its faults, but so do most of the hotels in Mexico, but my view is that within the price bracket you'll find this is the best overall. Sure you can pay five grand for the Riu Palaces and it's probably more plush, but hey this place is so much more fun. Don't come here if you want marble pillars and swish bedrooms, but if you want a fun place which fits with the surroundings and makes you feel you are in an exotic location this is for you. The whole hotel is set in a series of thatched open areas linked by covered walkways crossing over waterfalls and jungle. The place is full of exotic animals, monkeys, peacocks, possums, gaint tortoises and flamingos. Within the complex is a series of air conditioned a la cartes which include Mexican, Italian, Steakhouse, Japanese and Tropical. My main complaint would be that with the exception of the rooms and the a la cartes nothing is air coned to any viable extent. The buffets were really hot and so was the entertainment area. Overall the food was quite good, but I would agree with some of the comments in trip advisor about it being inconsistent.

CHECK IN
No waiting, we were dealt with quickly and efficiently. I requested a jungle view room which was duly granted, however when we entered the room there was only one king bed for the three of us. We reported this back and it was immediately changed.

ROOM
The room was clean and functional with everything you needed like a flat TV, fridge and a really good double shower (no bath). Air Con seemed to work well. Rooms are very rustic, no wallpaper here, pretty much concrete and stone was the order of the day. All painted in colours in keeping with the surrounding this added to the jungle feel. Beds were quite hard but no worse than I’ve had in Spain for example, didn't need toppers and the only thing which interrupted our sleep was the cries from the monkeys at 6:35am when the sun came up! We were on the ground floor so we had a balcony which all the animals came right up to. Peacocks slept on our balcony, possums walked past and the monkeys were hanging in the trees above. (If you want monkeys on your balcony then go for a top floor room which also has a thatched roof). We followed tripadvisor advice and left the maid 100 pesos with a list of the drinks we wanted in the fridge, sure enough when we returned it was fully stocked and then everyday with our preferences.

FOOD
The buffets in the Quetzal and Tucan were exactly the same. The food did vary but was generally quite good. I guess food is a difficult one, they have to cater for many nationalities including a lot of Mexicans. The tacos were good but a word of caution - if it says something is hot like the sauce or chilies they MEAN IT! Some nights they had giant prawns in shells, other nights the options were more modest. There was always someone cooking pasta and also someone carving and serving meat and fish. Deserts ranged from Mexican specialties like lime skins stuffed with coconut to those tasteless cakes and jellies to get in all inclusives. Would like to have seen some paella of the quality they prepared on the beach which was excellent. Breakfast was better with many choices, omelettes, bacon and eggs, pastries, cereals, pancakes and smoothies were the order of the day.

The pool restaurant severed similar choices running a bit later in the day. It was cooler to eat down there and they did have cooked stuff too including the omelettes. During the day they also served lunches (hot and cold) plus they did tea and cakes and snacks. Just outside was a barbecue area which did really good burgers and also hot dogs, nachos etc..Also the famous ice-cream stand was near here and I would agree coconut is the best, closely followed by Raspberry Cheesecake. The stand was open from 12 - 5 and they changed the range of flavours pretty much every hour so you had to be quick to get what you wanted.

We got six a la carte reservations under the Thomas Cook deal. The a la cartes were variable, our first visit to the steakhouse was good with the tenderloins all being cooked to perfection and the bloomin onion hot and crisp. The second visit was a disaster. The steaks came burnt to a cinder and when we sent them back they came back raw. If this happens to you I would advise you go to guest services and report it stating that you feel it was a wasted reservation. They will gladly offer you another reservation provided your complaint is genuine (please don't abuse). The Mexican is good if you know what to order, problem is the menu leads you to order tacos which are essentially the same as you get in the buffet. Steer clear of that and go for the tequila flamed kebab, steak or shrimp dishes. The Italian was OK, starters were good and my Red Snapper was OK, but they messed up my wife's pasta twice. The Japanese was excellent, agree more of a show than real Japanese cuisine but the food was actually good too. Start with sushi, then crispy vegetables following by fried rice with either shrimp, steak, chicken or octopus (or all four if you like). Agree banana fritters are the best. Didn't try the tropical but it always seemed available which I think said it all!

DRINKS
Strongest drinks were in the lobby bars and they also had international brands such as J Walker Whisky, Gordons Gin etc..recommend zombie cocktails. Bar pool had the weakest drinks, recommend going to the adult pool or the bar inside the pool restaurants. All bars also offered range of wines including carva, plus coffees like Cappuccino or Espresso. Staff would make up pretty much any drink as part of the all inclusive.

POOL & BEACH
Pools were clean and water warm. I think you have to appreciate that this hotel is set in a jungle so if there is a storm overnight then there will be some leaves and debris in the water the next morning. Staff do their best to keep under control. Never had any trouble getting a bed but agree lots of people reserving early in the morning. Staff would remove towels if abusers were highlighted or they discovered them. Beach was beautiful and water crystal clear and also warm. If you took in some bread within a few minutes there were hundreds of fish around you and they would eat out of your hand. If you want some peace and quite then come out of the hotel onto the beach and take a right. If you walk along the beach about a mile you are literally on your own. There are sandy coves and palm trees handing onto the beach like paradise.

ENTERTAINMENT
Shows ranged from the bazaar (Mexican dancers playing football) to the ridiculous. (Mr Iberostar 2011). Drink plenty of tequila before attempting to enjoy and take a fan cause it’s boiling in there!

PLAYACAR
Playacar is the place to be since it is a gated community containing a large number of high end villas, hotels and golf courses. Being gated it is secure and suitable to walk around. Is also has a purpose built ‘village’ with shops and the essentials like a chemist, starbucks and cash machines. Again all very tastefully done with thatched roofs. Beware of cheaper hotels which whilst they sit on the beach simply back onto the main road between the airport and Playacar. This makes it difficult to walk anywhere.

PLAYA DEL CARMEN
30 minute walk through the villas, worth a look at the scale of some of them and the high end cars, but next time you’ll take a taxi for 70 pesos. Main street is 5th Avenue and is closed to traffic. There is a mixture of high end jewelers and local street traders who can be pushy. There are lots of good bars and places to eat, plus some good coffee shops. Ah Cocoa is good and offers coffee, chocolate drinks and pretty much everything chocolate you might want. Also free wi-fi.

CANCUN AND TRIPS
Went to Cancun, don’t bother pretty much concrete and plastic, the benidorm of Mexico. Town did not feel as welcoming as Playa del Carmen and everything seemed more expensive. We did not go on any trips, but notable are those to the ruins and also to the waterparks / activity parks. Check prices because they can be expensive, a better option might be to take a bus from Playa del Carmen or a taxi for the shorter runs and pay on entry. Be aware they are not all open on Sundays.

COMMUNICATION
Only wi-fi is in the hotel lobby and is quite pricy, nearest free wi-fi is Starbucks in Playacar (10 mins walk). If you buy a coffee you get the password which was latte34 when we visited. The connection is good and we Skyped home for about an hour without any problems. One thing we noticed is the logon and password also worked anywhere else where the same internet provider was used so we were able to use it to logon at McDonald’s in Cancun for example. Phoning home was expensive and don’t forget to turn your data roaming off!

SUMMARY
Really good value, Mexican people so friendly and helpful they literally wait on you hand and foot. An incredible experience with the jungle and animals, brilliant location and hotel.
One final point, Thomas Cook. I know some people say different but overall I thought they were good. Best price online, rep good, flights bang on time and legroom comparable to scheduled. The likes of BA and Virgin were hundreds more and offer little more than a couple of free drinks to economy passengers. Only worth going with them if you pay for club class or greater.

Room Tip: Ask for jungle view, top floor for monkeys, ground floor for peacocks!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
17  Thank SteveFussy