Viva Wyndham Maya
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 331
US$ 258
Barcelo.com
US$ 715
US$ 303
US$ 395
US$ 256
Melia.com
Aventura Mexicana(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$ 91
US$ 87
US$ 245
US$ 179
Official Hotel
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 806
US$ 702
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 1,434
US$ 940
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 564
US$ 409
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 810
US$ 791
Viceroy Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 916
US$ 634
7,051 results
All reviewsdon diegoa la carte restaurantspool baradult poolboogie boardsanimation teamthe mexican restaurantsister resorthot dogsgated communitynightly showspurified waterkids clubpasta stationother resortsmake reservationsstar resort
Reviewed 5 March 2012

There were 15 of us staying at this hotel. On the positive side the resort was able to accommodate us all in the same building. This was by the relax pool and quite a distance from the beach and main pool with the swim up bar. You also had to get your towels at the main pool area.

Although the beach was lovely, it was extremely crowded and there was the usual issue of people saving loungers and then not showing up until the afternoon. The main pool area was loud and there were a lot of children. We are a 50 and over group and would have preferred an adult hotel. At the relax pool there was a pool bar but absolutely no music; however, our group managed to make the most of it.

The food at the a la carte restaurants was better than what I expected after reading some of the reviews. The buffet food was average and predictable but there was always something to satisfy the hunger.

It was difficult to get tables in the lobby/courtyard area for pre-dinner cocktails as you would get there and all the couches would be saved by one person sitting there for quite some time by themselves.

The rooms were spacious but had this constant musty smell and as there are no elevators, only the first floors were acceptable for mobility challenged people.

The location is great; it is only a 20 minute walk to 5th Avenue.

Overall I would say the resort is good value for the money paid but I would not recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank UnaMasKing
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Maya as destination for your vacation.

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion about your stay at our Resort. We assure you that your feedback will be considered in order to ameliorate our services.

Please do not forget that Viva Wyndham Maya will be pleased to welcome you back.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed in this hotel in July 2011 with my husband, son, mother and father.

This is a fantastic property with great food, drinks and activities. Cocktails are amazing. Hotel is fantastic right on the beach with free non-motorised watersports - catamaran and boogie boards.

The only down side to this hotel is the fact that there is no air conditioning in the main restaurant.

Already booked to return in 2012.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ERM3

Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Maya to spend your recent vacations. We appreciate your good comments about our services and we are glad to now that you and your family had a pleasant stay.

We will be pleased to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 March 2012

We did 6 cruises and this was our 1st all inclusive resort vacation. Everything was nice except the food, that was a big dissapointment. We could only make 3 dinner reservations at the resort restaurants. The rest of the time it was buffet which was very ordinary. When I ask at the front desk if we could go to the sister resort Azteca the answer was no. Location of this resort was fantastic - 1/2hr of beautiful and very safe walk to the center of Playa del Carmen.

6  Thank Ida60745

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us about your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.

It is very important to our continued success that we hear from our guests and your comments will assist us in our commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations and service.

We hope that on despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Have stayed at hundreds of resorts all over Mexico, Caribbean, Europe..and this is not a favorite of mine. Compared to other resorts...(Melia in Cabo, Great Bay Beach Resort, St. Maarten, Best Western Bay Harbor, Tampa, FL) even priced less...this resort barely rated a 4. Upon arrival we noticed the hotel personnel were not in an hurry to help you.

I will break down my comments..

Room: We booked through their Rewards By Request program and our room..Rm 1310... was really nice. Near beach..just a little noisy during shows at nite but closed the door and was fine.

Beach and Chairs: People were putting towels on chairs by 6:15 am. Since we had silver (grey) bracelets this entitled us to the VIP beach area with great padded chairs and covered umbrella huts. Beach reminded me of Jersey Shore - chairs lined up so close--- or a Bahamas resort. Beach had lots of seaweed on shoreline.

Pool: VERY BASIC looking. Did not see a swim up bar. Adult pool was too crowded to stay at.

Bar: 2 bartenders that took forever to even acknowledge you were standing in front of them. I always tip at all inclusives and when I did they just took the tip and never even said thank you. Had to ask for extra liquor in drink or dont think they even put any in. Asked for Kahlua and they said they dont have. This is Mexico..isnt that where Kahlua comes from? At times there were lines 15 people deep trying to get drink at pool bar. If you requested something different bartenders acted like it was a bother.

Food: AS SOON AS YOU CHECK IN MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR YOUR ENTIRE STAY AT THE RESTAURANTS. No one told us and as at other resorts you did not make reservations for a restaurant THAT day...nothing was left. We ate at Mexican one day and it was good. Got stuck at buffets the rest of the stay. UGLK. It was at best cafeteria/truck stop food. We are not picky eaters at all but it was SAME food at each buffet..very bland.

Be very careful walking...all floors are very slippery. Saw many people slipping and falling...even with rubber flip flops on.

OK...You probably think I am hard to please...I am not at all. Basic is good for me but this resort was below basic. Very impersonal..hotel personnel didnt even look at you walking by..I usually am very friendly to all hotel personnel,

We went strickly for relaxation and to lay on the beach. Weather was great...but I will definitely not be going back here.

Room Tip: Room 1310 was superior with ocean view. Very nice.
3  Thank NonrevTravelGirl

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

Please accept a sincere apology for not have been able to fulfill your expectations during your wedding anniversary at our property.

We remain at your entire disposal.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I hope this review is helpful to those who may be skeptical. I am most particular & would prefer top-of-the-line luxury for all my vacations...but that sometimes is not an option when bringing the entire family along. I admittedly was a little nervous after reading other reviews about the Viva Wyndham Maya....I am here to tell you not to worry....it is a really beautiful place with some of the most friendly people on staff I have ever met. The beach is absolutely breathtaking. I'm not sure there are too many places more beautiful than the Mayan Riviera. Each day the water was different shades of turquoise with different sizes of waves. We were lucky to have beautiful sunshine each day. While the pool was a little smaller than some other resorts, we never felt crowded. In fact, we never had a problem finding a seat at the pool bar, the buffet, the beach, etc. etc. Sometimes we couldn't find four beach chairs together...but we managed. There were a lot of people there, too. The weekend seemed busier than the weekdays...lots of European travelers. I never found anyone to be rude (like some previous reviews say). In fact, I thought that all the different languages being spoken lent a very exotic flair to the location. It also made me think that Playa must really be something special to attract visitors from everywhere. Playa, the city itself, was absolutely amazing. Our teen-aged sons loved our time spent there. Tons of culture! But at the same time safe....very safe! In fact, I never once felt unsafe the entire time. Playacar, the gated community where the resort is, is just breathtaking. What a fabulous backdrop for the beautiful Riviera! A few minor things - yes, the pool decks are slippery - very common in wet concrete :) The staff works tirelessly to squeegy it. Walk slowly. There is a little mildew in the bathroom & the rooms are a little plain jane. The walls are indeed thin & you can hear lots of action going on around you....but, if you're anything like us, we were so tired by the time we hit the sheets each night, it was not a big deal. I actually enjoyed listening to all the activity...We were at the 1000 building near the pool & the beach. Evidently rooms near the resort's entry are more quiet if that's what you need. Also, don't fear being far from the beach if that's the case, everything is within a few-minutes walk....with beautiful scenery and wildlife along the way. The food was decent....a buffet is a buffet...it's what you make it. Don Diego was a delight! All butter warnings are true. It's not real butter. They only time this really mattered to us was when we paid an extra $25 a person for fresh lobster & alas, no real drawn butter. Oh well, we lived. The chips, guacamole & salsa were outstanding....served at the buffet & the snack bar. Delicious drinks....with an espresso bar too! Bartenders never too busy to make a fun non-alcoholic fresh fruit smoothie for the boys...Go, go, go to this place.....the bang for your buck is unbelievable!!!! PS... Take the ferry to Cozumel, rent a car & explore the island.....very cool! (sit on top of the ferry on the outside deck if you don't like seasickness ;) Bon voyage, mi amigos!!!!

Room Tip: If I went back, I would choose a 2000 room, ground floor, facing inward. That would be my ideal choice.
8  Thank BuffaloTravellover

Dear Customer,

It is really satisfactory to receive your positive feedback and to know that we fulfilled your expectations during your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.

We are glad to know that you and your family enjoyed our services and facilities.

Thank your for recommending our Resort and please remember that we will be pleased to welcome you back.