“We'll be back”
Review of Viva Wyndham Maya

Ranked #88 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed in this hotel in July 2011 with my husband, son, mother and father.

This is a fantastic property with great food, drinks and activities. Cocktails are amazing. Hotel is fantastic right on the beach with free non-motorised watersports - catamaran and boogie boards.

The only down side to this hotel is the fact that there is no air conditioning in the main restaurant.

Already booked to return in 2012.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ERM3
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Maya to spend your recent vacations. We appreciate your good comments about our services and we are glad to now that you and your family had a pleasant stay.

We will be pleased to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Viva Wyndham Maya

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Viva Wyndham Maya

Reviewed 2 March 2012

We did 6 cruises and this was our 1st all inclusive resort vacation. Everything was nice except the food, that was a big dissapointment. We could only make 3 dinner reservations at the resort restaurants. The rest of the time it was buffet which was very ordinary. When I ask at the front desk if we could go to the sister resort Azteca the answer was no. Location of this resort was fantastic - 1/2hr of beautiful and very safe walk to the center of Playa del Carmen.

6  Thank Ida60745

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us about your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.

It is very important to our continued success that we hear from our guests and your comments will assist us in our commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations and service.

We hope that on despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Best regards,

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Have stayed at hundreds of resorts all over Mexico, Caribbean, Europe..and this is not a favorite of mine. Compared to other resorts...(Melia in Cabo, Great Bay Beach Resort, St. Maarten, Best Western Bay Harbor, Tampa, FL) even priced less...this resort barely rated a 4. Upon arrival we noticed the hotel personnel were not in an hurry to help you.

I will break down my comments..

Room: We booked through their Rewards By Request program and our room..Rm 1310... was really nice. Near beach..just a little noisy during shows at nite but closed the door and was fine.

Beach and Chairs: People were putting towels on chairs by 6:15 am. Since we had silver (grey) bracelets this entitled us to the VIP beach area with great padded chairs and covered umbrella huts. Beach reminded me of Jersey Shore - chairs lined up so close--- or a Bahamas resort. Beach had lots of seaweed on shoreline.

Pool: VERY BASIC looking. Did not see a swim up bar. Adult pool was too crowded to stay at.

Bar: 2 bartenders that took forever to even acknowledge you were standing in front of them. I always tip at all inclusives and when I did they just took the tip and never even said thank you. Had to ask for extra liquor in drink or dont think they even put any in. Asked for Kahlua and they said they dont have. This is Mexico..isnt that where Kahlua comes from? At times there were lines 15 people deep trying to get drink at pool bar. If you requested something different bartenders acted like it was a bother.

Food: AS SOON AS YOU CHECK IN MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR YOUR ENTIRE STAY AT THE RESTAURANTS. No one told us and as at other resorts you did not make reservations for a restaurant THAT day...nothing was left. We ate at Mexican one day and it was good. Got stuck at buffets the rest of the stay. UGLK. It was at best cafeteria/truck stop food. We are not picky eaters at all but it was SAME food at each buffet..very bland.

Be very careful walking...all floors are very slippery. Saw many people slipping and falling...even with rubber flip flops on.

OK...You probably think I am hard to please...I am not at all. Basic is good for me but this resort was below basic. Very impersonal..hotel personnel didnt even look at you walking by..I usually am very friendly to all hotel personnel,

We went strickly for relaxation and to lay on the beach. Weather was great...but I will definitely not be going back here.

Room Tip: Room 1310 was superior with ocean view. Very nice.
3  Thank NonrevTravelGirl

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

Please accept a sincere apology for not have been able to fulfill your expectations during your wedding anniversary at our property.

We remain at your entire disposal.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I hope this review is helpful to those who may be skeptical. I am most particular & would prefer top-of-the-line luxury for all my vacations...but that sometimes is not an option when bringing the entire family along. I admittedly was a little nervous after reading other reviews about the Viva Wyndham Maya....I am here to tell you not to worry....it is a really beautiful place with some of the most friendly people on staff I have ever met. The beach is absolutely breathtaking. I'm not sure there are too many places more beautiful than the Mayan Riviera. Each day the water was different shades of turquoise with different sizes of waves. We were lucky to have beautiful sunshine each day. While the pool was a little smaller than some other resorts, we never felt crowded. In fact, we never had a problem finding a seat at the pool bar, the buffet, the beach, etc. etc. Sometimes we couldn't find four beach chairs together...but we managed. There were a lot of people there, too. The weekend seemed busier than the weekdays...lots of European travelers. I never found anyone to be rude (like some previous reviews say). In fact, I thought that all the different languages being spoken lent a very exotic flair to the location. It also made me think that Playa must really be something special to attract visitors from everywhere. Playa, the city itself, was absolutely amazing. Our teen-aged sons loved our time spent there. Tons of culture! But at the same time safe....very safe! In fact, I never once felt unsafe the entire time. Playacar, the gated community where the resort is, is just breathtaking. What a fabulous backdrop for the beautiful Riviera! A few minor things - yes, the pool decks are slippery - very common in wet concrete :) The staff works tirelessly to squeegy it. Walk slowly. There is a little mildew in the bathroom & the rooms are a little plain jane. The walls are indeed thin & you can hear lots of action going on around you....but, if you're anything like us, we were so tired by the time we hit the sheets each night, it was not a big deal. I actually enjoyed listening to all the activity...We were at the 1000 building near the pool & the beach. Evidently rooms near the resort's entry are more quiet if that's what you need. Also, don't fear being far from the beach if that's the case, everything is within a few-minutes walk....with beautiful scenery and wildlife along the way. The food was decent....a buffet is a buffet...it's what you make it. Don Diego was a delight! All butter warnings are true. It's not real butter. They only time this really mattered to us was when we paid an extra $25 a person for fresh lobster & alas, no real drawn butter. Oh well, we lived. The chips, guacamole & salsa were outstanding....served at the buffet & the snack bar. Delicious drinks....with an espresso bar too! Bartenders never too busy to make a fun non-alcoholic fresh fruit smoothie for the boys...Go, go, go to this place.....the bang for your buck is unbelievable!!!! PS... Take the ferry to Cozumel, rent a car & explore the island.....very cool! (sit on top of the ferry on the outside deck if you don't like seasickness ;) Bon voyage, mi amigos!!!!

Room Tip: If I went back, I would choose a 2000 room, ground floor, facing inward. That would be my ideal cho...
8  Thank BuffaloTravellover

Dear Customer,

It is really satisfactory to receive your positive feedback and to know that we fulfilled your expectations during your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.

We are glad to know that you and your family enjoyed our services and facilities.

Thank your for recommending our Resort and please remember that we will be pleased to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Went here with my 18 year old daughter and we had a blast. Our room was in the first section near the beach which was wonderful. The virgin Pina Coladas were divine. Staff was very friendly and spoke in several different languages during each game or show. Lots of fun things going on through the day. We played a lot of beach volleyball and used the free kayaks every day. The beach and ocean here are exquisite. You can walk for as long as you want down the beach. Just perfect for walking and people watching. There were fewer American guests than European guests the week that we were there, which was a really nice cultural experience for my daughter. She especially liked all the Italians and made many friends playing volleyball. At night, the staff gathers people to go to discos in Playa Del Carmen. We took a cab a few times into Playa to enjoy the street dancers and shops. Just across the street from the Viva is a nice local shopping area. You can borrow free bikes to ride, but I enjoyed just walking around the cobblestone streets in front of the hotel. Many people are out jogging in the mornings. It is in a safe area in a gated community. We didn't have any problems with theft on this trip. On our last trip to cancun, only about 1/2 of my clothes were in my suitcase when I got home. Someone at the airport stole all my swimsuits, workout clothes and other items. So heads-up. If there's something you really love, carry it on the plane. The entertainment wasn't our favorite. A lot of lip-synching and dancing shows. There was a casino night, and a "Miss Maya" show that was hillarious. There is a flying trapese for the brave to try, which looked really fun! The food in the buffets wasn't as good as we had hoped, but we could find things to keep us happy. There is a freshly made local food station that was usually the best thing to eat and was good. The buffet dining room is pretty standard and not fancy but it has lots of windows and natural light. The food in the reservation restaurants (Mexican and Italian) was simply amazingly delicious. It was gourmet, served beautifully and fast. The gym is very small but adequate but I wish there would have been a better spa area (steam, whirlpool, etc.). There's a climbing wall for children in the gym and a play area outside for kids. There are tennis courts on the roof which were in good shape. The things I loved about this were that it was on a fantastic beach, it is small, so you can get to your room easily whenever you need to, the staff were fun, the free kayaks were fun, the proximity to Playa Del Carmen is nice, it felt safe, and it's a lower price than some of the other resorts. The things that could be better are food and entertainment. Would I go back? Yes, especially if I'm looking for a good priced trip. If I want to splurge, the Grand Palladium was more elaborate and had better food and spa area. The Viva is the only resort I've been to in Playa and I chose it after very careful research. I'm happy we went there. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: The rooms near the beach are super fun! A second floor room might be nice so you can hang your wet...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank headin4tsun

Dear Customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your daughter at Viva Wyndham Maya during your recent vacation. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Furthermore, we are happy to know that we exceeded your expectations.

Also we appreciate your observations: they will be considered in order to improve.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
35.7 km away
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal

Been to Viva Wyndham Maya? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK