“Group of 14 on Vacation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #27 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
PA
“Group of 14 on Vacation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Went to the GPR for the 1st time. Its right downtown in Playa Del Carmen. 5th Ave to shop was okay, a lot of stores and places to eat. Went once to see it and didnt go back.
The resort was spotless, rooms were very nice & big. The entertainment people around the pool were super, the waiters & waitress served you at the pool and the beach. Only two resturants to go to or the buffet. Mexican or Italtian. This was a family resort which we are really not used to, there were way to many kids for us. The beach really was bad, they had sand bags at the shoreline and it was hard to get into the water, they had more sun chairs on the beach and no one was on the beach for that reason, everyone was at the pool. I had to get up at 6:00 to save sunchairs around the pool, plus the pool was very small. They had a swim up bar on the 3rd floor which didnt impress me at all, went once to see it and didnt go back. Its not a smoker friendly resort, cant smoke anywhere inside at all. I doubt if the group will ever go back, its seemed they were trying to put 10lbs of sugar in a 5lb box. We did have a great time, the group of people that go, you have to make your own fun, which we did !! We loved Ivan, Chicken Little, Cynthia, & Jesus they were at the pool area everyday...

Room Tip: We booked a jr suite oceanview, our room was facing the street and a side view of the ocean, we upgr...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,642)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Outstanding food and service. They welcomed us back like we were old friends coming to visit. Very welcoming atmosphere and the food was to die for.

Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

A friend and I spent 20 days at the Gran Porto in Playa. What a wonderful experience. I have travelled extensively and have to say that, in terms of staff service and friendliness, this rates absolutely number one in our book. From the moment we met Ricardo and Paul at the front desk, we felt welcome and valued as a guest. Throughout our visit we spoke with the front desk staff on several occasions and they were always friendly and extremely well informed. What a great way to spent a vacation. All staff went out of their way to ensure our stay was as pleasant as possible. Would I go back? Heck yeah.

Room Tip: Our oceanview room was a bit of a stretch. I would definitely request oceanfront the next time.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LuvtravelCalgary
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

My friend and I stayed here between 24th November 2011 to 8th December 2012.

My only criticism was the weather! Which not even the hotel could change that!

We stayed over-looking the quiet pool. I would say the only downside to that pool for us was the sun was there for about 2 hours (8-10am then it was gone for the day!) Loved the choice of snacks up there as it was the sushi bar!

Next to our room was the stairs to the hot tub onthe roof! We spent a lot of time there as it was a total suntrap and quiet from the stupid amount of loud mouth yanks that were in the hotel!

Food in the main restaurant, italian, mexican, and beach bar was fantastic. Couldn't fault it!

The beach was fantastic but because we didn't have great weather we didn't spend much time there. The security there was also brilliant. I don't like having my all inclusive wrist band on all the time as i don't like the tan marks but every day they kept checking we belonged there. Made me feel better!

We met some fantastic people there not only the Canadian crew we met but the bar staff! Miguel and Chris being our favourites. The would cater for your every need and would go out of their way to help me or make me a drink of my choice. We sampled ALL the cocktails on the menu and then we ended up with specialities just created. They made our holiday evenings perfect. Thank you Chris and Miguel!!!!

The rooms were lovely, we weren't in the expensive one we were in the normal peoples rooms. My only criticism of them was I hate a shared balcony as I like my privacy.

The entertainment in the hotel wasn't mind blowing but of all the holidays I have been on it was probably the better... The staff were very good at handling any trouble in the hotel. We had a very obnoxious wedding party there for 4/5 days of the holiday, they were drinking lots and fighting between each other around the pool bar, in the reception, on the beach, in the main restaurant... Well pretty much anywhere in the hotel, vile creatures they were!!! The staff and security were quick to deal with them and even on one occasion the police were on standby to remove them!!

Overall the hotel was amazing perfect for two weeks. Better for couples I think though!!!

AREA:

Playa Del Carmen is very much catered for our American/Canadian friends with the bars outside the hotel! i was desperate to watch a bit of real football but every sports bar was baseball, american football, hockey! But hey Mexico is americas party ground! The prices for drinks and food is pretty much UK prices not as cheap as I was led to believe1 nor are the bars open as late as I expected majortiy were closing around 12

Go to Coco Bongo!!!! What an incredible night! My favourite night of the holiday! THe shows are awesome. If you book through the hotel you will get a set place in the club and a waitor, the drinks are all inclusive but be warned if you are to the right of the stage you will probably wet yourself before being able to get to the toilets!! Cracking night!!!

THe only thing I feel I should warn people about is walking around the area. Now I have never had a problem with leaving a hotel on my own day or night for a quick walk around however this is the only place that I got a lot of hassle! Every shop I walked passed I was hassled and offered drugs! If you a bit of a nervous person don't go out on your own!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Baldwin Park, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

I would like to thank Gran Porto Real. Everything was excellant, my expectations were exceeded by far. Special thanks to Fabian(Lobby Bartender), the staff at Maria's : Capt. Antonio, Ana (hostess), Salvador(waiter), Juan(Chef) and the rest of the dedicated staff. My wife and I were treated like family and the staff went above and beyond to making us feel right at home. I will go back just because of the special service I received. Thank you once again...Mi familia. Love you guys take care and God bless. See you soon!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple