“Overall Very Good but a Few Issues”
Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #30 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
leicester
“Overall Very Good but a Few Issues”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I would not give this Hotel an excellent rating due to a few issues that I will finish with however there are lots of positive things to be said about this Hotel and we had a great 2 week holiday. The Hotel is lovely as was our room and the sevice that we received from all the staff was excellent. We had a large junior suite with sunbeds on the balcony overlooking the street although as it was over the lobby it was very noisy.Thanks to Tripadvisor I was well prepared and slept soundly with ear plugs every night. I cannot understand why people complain about the food, it was great. The Hotel was fully booked throughout our stay and we spent most of our time on the beach as we did struggle to find a sunbed around the pool most days after about 7 am. This had a lot to do with the fact that I insist on shade and there are not a lot of sunbeds with umbrellas around the pool. There did appear to be a lot of reserving of sunbeds before people went to bed which I think the staff should address, its so annoying. There are lots of sunbeds on the beach and also in the shaded cabanas. Most days we were there the staff were setting up chairs and tables for weddings around the sunbeds on the beach which wasn't great. I could not see the sandbags on the beach when I was lying on my sunbed and did not mind having to climb over them to get in the sea however the sea is very shallow here and also rocky and if you love swimming in the sea you will be disappointed. The location is great too and we felt totally safe at all times and the security staff on the beach were always evident.

On the negative side whilst we had booked and paid for a Junior Suite before arrival when we arrived we were given room 529 which was technically a free upgrade as it is classed as Ocean View although it is over the Italian Restaurant and further from the sea than any other room in the Hotel. When we arrived at our room whilst it was a nice room we found there was no balcony and immediately asked for a different room. We were told there was no other room for that night but we could move the next day. This was not what we wanted when we had spent 12 hours on flight from the UK. The next day the front desk staff were very helpful with a room change however this totally spoilt the start of our holiday. I do suspect that room 529 is one they put you in to try and encourage you to upgrade to an ocean front room as we were offered this as an upgrade. We had nore of an Ocean View in our room above the lobby than we did in room 529.

The other issue was the obnoxious behaviour of some of the people staying at the hotel who seemed to drink 24/7 and not care about anyone else but themselves. I'm sorry but without exception these people were all American and part of large groups staying at the Hotel. I think the staff did very little to challenge unacceptable behaviour and I believe this was because most of these people were from large bookings and amongst wedding parties. There were other groups of people at Gran Porto for weddings from different parts of the UK and elsewhere and I never seen any bad behaviour from anyone who wasn't American. These drunken obnoxious people spoilt my holiday and didn't care who they upset. Thankfully I know that these people aren't representative of the vast majority of other decent Americans who stayed at the Hotel and presumably were similarily affected by this behaviour.

We booked through First Choice who no longer offer the Gran Porto Real as a destination from the UK and whilst I do not know the reason why I suspect it may have something to with the two issues that I raise here, the overbooking/upgrading problem and the loutish behaviour.

Whilst I loved Gran Porto Real and we had a great time if I returned to Playa Del Carmen I would look for somewhere else to stay which catered more for couples and individual families and less for large groups of people. Having said that we did have a great time overall.

Room Tip: We liked our Junior Suite overlooking the Street even if it was over the lobby and noisy. I would no...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank irishatleicester
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,713)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I took one day of my vacation time to pamper my self, the body treatments and massages are absolutely incredible!! I felt like a new person. I tried the dead sea body wrap and the antioxidant facial folloow by a relaxing massage. The installations are impecable and you can book an appinment even if you´re not a guest at the Hotel, aslo they aloud you to use the jacuzzi, sauna, steam room.etc The staff is bilingual and super respectful and professional. Prices are just standard. Very recommended

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
NYC
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at this resort for a couple of nights, and it was our first time in an AI. Without a doubt, if you like AIs, then this resort has it all. The resort is very well maintained, very clean, and the service from all staff is great, very friendly and accommodating.
I've read some bad reports of the standard rooms .... to be honest, really don't know why?. We stayed in a standard room ... sure, no view of the ocean, but the rooms themselves are great.
The food was good-to-very good. Buffet breakfast great. Their two main a-la-carte dinner restaurants are also very good. Ate at the Italian once .... very good meal. Ate at the Mexican twice .... where they rotate the menu based on regions of Mexico ..... the Yucatan evening was much better than the DF one.
If you are an AI person, then this is a great resort, and this was a nice place to have our first one. But, don't think the AI is for us! I get bored too easily here, and the AI fosters an over consumption of alcohol and food. This is just my own personal opinion on AIs in general, and I know many people love them ... to each their own .... taking nothing away from this hotel

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank DUBinNYC
Belle Fourche, South Dakota
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

From the moment we got out of the van and were greeted by the older gentleman in the white uniform (I am sorry to say I can't remember his name) but I consider him a friend, we felt at home. This was our 4th visit to GPR and will definitely not be our last! We went to the buffet every morning to have the great service of Mora, Ivan and of course captain Eliazar. All day long we were treated wonderfully by Jose, Theresa, Elizabeth, Alex, Hirram, Paplo, Jesus, David, Felipe, and Delia. I hate naming names as everyone was great from morning to night and I can't remember everyone. Enrique was especially helpful both when we checked in and out. I love the rooms, have never had a bad one just like some better than the others. The bell boys Freddy, Benigno, and Aaron were always helpful. What more can you want, good food, good service and good/clean rooms. We always hate when it is time to leave and we have to say good-bye to everyone but we will return!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Bullock51
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Last night we had a delightful dinner at a cozy eatery. The owners were very friendly, and helpful and suggested several of the "specials" of the night. We had the Bruschetta to start out with, and it was very good!! I decided to have the Gnocchi with Gorgonzola and my friend had the Tortelli.., both were excellent!! Tiramisu was the perfect ending!! Will come back again!!
Eating outside was a plus too!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends