I would not give this Hotel an excellent rating due to a few issues that I will finish with however there are lots of positive things to be said about this Hotel and we had a great 2 week holiday. The Hotel is lovely as was our room and the sevice that we received from all the staff was excellent. We had a large junior suite with sunbeds on the balcony overlooking the street although as it was over the lobby it was very noisy.Thanks to Tripadvisor I was well prepared and slept soundly with ear plugs every night. I cannot understand why people complain about the food, it was great. The Hotel was fully booked throughout our stay and we spent most of our time on the beach as we did struggle to find a sunbed around the pool most days after about 7 am. This had a lot to do with the fact that I insist on shade and there are not a lot of sunbeds with umbrellas around the pool. There did appear to be a lot of reserving of sunbeds before people went to bed which I think the staff should address, its so annoying. There are lots of sunbeds on the beach and also in the shaded cabanas. Most days we were there the staff were setting up chairs and tables for weddings around the sunbeds on the beach which wasn't great. I could not see the sandbags on the beach when I was lying on my sunbed and did not mind having to climb over them to get in the sea however the sea is very shallow here and also rocky and if you love swimming in the sea you will be disappointed. The location is great too and we felt totally safe at all times and the security staff on the beach were always evident.
On the negative side whilst we had booked and paid for a Junior Suite before arrival when we arrived we were given room 529 which was technically a free upgrade as it is classed as Ocean View although it is over the Italian Restaurant and further from the sea than any other room in the Hotel. When we arrived at our room whilst it was a nice room we found there was no balcony and immediately asked for a different room. We were told there was no other room for that night but we could move the next day. This was not what we wanted when we had spent 12 hours on flight from the UK. The next day the front desk staff were very helpful with a room change however this totally spoilt the start of our holiday. I do suspect that room 529 is one they put you in to try and encourage you to upgrade to an ocean front room as we were offered this as an upgrade. We had nore of an Ocean View in our room above the lobby than we did in room 529.
The other issue was the obnoxious behaviour of some of the people staying at the hotel who seemed to drink 24/7 and not care about anyone else but themselves. I'm sorry but without exception these people were all American and part of large groups staying at the Hotel. I think the staff did very little to challenge unacceptable behaviour and I believe this was because most of these people were from large bookings and amongst wedding parties. There were other groups of people at Gran Porto for weddings from different parts of the UK and elsewhere and I never seen any bad behaviour from anyone who wasn't American. These drunken obnoxious people spoilt my holiday and didn't care who they upset. Thankfully I know that these people aren't representative of the vast majority of other decent Americans who stayed at the Hotel and presumably were similarily affected by this behaviour.
We booked through First Choice who no longer offer the Gran Porto Real as a destination from the UK and whilst I do not know the reason why I suspect it may have something to with the two issues that I raise here, the overbooking/upgrading problem and the loutish behaviour.
Whilst I loved Gran Porto Real and we had a great time if I returned to Playa Del Carmen I would look for somewhere else to stay which catered more for couples and individual families and less for large groups of people. Having said that we did have a great time overall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a beautiful, protected stretch of pristine beach in the heart of Playa del Carmen stands the spectacular Gran Porto Resort, just steps from Fifth Avenue's shops, clubs, and restaurants. Architecturally reminiscent of one of Mexico's finest haciendas, the resort welcomes couples, families, friends, and colleagues to the warm Caribbean breezes and azure seas of the Riviera Maya, where guests can experience the region's cultural heritage, relish all-inclusive luxuries, and enjoy genuine hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gran Porto Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Porto Real Hotel
- Gran Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Gran Porto Real
- Gran Porto Real Resort Spa
- Porto Real
- Grand Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Gran Porto Real Mexico
- Gran Porto Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen