3,403 results
All reviews shangri la caribe half board palapa style fuego restaurant las olas garden view breakfast and dinner las palapas palapa roof ocean front ping pong fifth avenue the penthouse infinity pool yogurt palm trees the wait staff
Reviewed 30 April 2007

When looking for a place to stay, our first and most important requirement was that the place be quaint and authentic. Shangri La fits that bill completely. This stay was just what we needed to allow our bodies to rest, relax, and enjoy each other in a peaceful and beautiful environment. The staff (especially Boli) was exceptional. The hotel was booked while we were there, but it didn't ever feel crowded. The beach as mentioned by others is by far the best in the area. We indulged ourselves to have massages and that experience was fabulous as well. The food could have been more exciting, but we enjoyed going into Playa a couple times to eat and stroll. Both of our dinner experiences included some furry visitors (raccoons) lurking and one time coming right up to the table, so beware where you sit. Our first morning started a little earlier than we had hoped with the birds chirping from our roof, but luckily my husband had earplugs on hand. We are light sleepers. We really appreciated the staff's hard work day and night to keep the place clean and safe. We would definitely go back and stay at Shangri-La.

2  Thank Catholic-Charisma
Reviewed 23 April 2007

Stayed for a week with our two children in a beachfront bungalow. We were in 5c..last unit, and closest to the dive shop. Was total peace and quiet. Our children never missed not having a tv. The room was quite large and the views from the unit were great. The ocean was about 15 yards from our front door. The food was also not as bad as I expected. (based on other reviews) Breakfast was fine, and we just did a quick look prior to dinner to decide if we were eating in or eating off property. All I can really add, is if you are going to stay here, stay on the front beach. The grounds are very pretty, but it just doesn't compare to the ocean. One more thing about being front beach, with the constant breeze, we were never bothered by mosquitos, like some of the other guests we met who were staying off the beach. A really great time was had by our family, and we will definitley return!
Girl's, if styling your hair is important, take a hair dryer!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank holycitygirl
Reviewed 20 April 2007

We have been to Mexico numerous times and have always opted for one of the 5 star all inclusives. After finding the Shangri - la however, we will never go anywhere else. We choose this place based on the previous reviews and pics and were not disappointed.

We stayed in a beachfront bungalow. The waves were a little more active then usual at night and were quite loud at times. The beds however were VERY comfortable. (Good luck on getting a king size bed...its the luck of the draw.) The staff is great but the guests there are even better. This is a more intimate resort and we met some of the best people!!!! This made the stay even more memorable and enjoyable! This resort is ok for families but I feel is geared more towards couples who know how to appreciate life.

There are a couple of liquor stores up the street where you can purchase Ice, beer or whatever. Since they didn't sell Corona we tried SOL beer. It was excellent and cheaper. Since there is no refrigerator in the room, we brought our own cooler from home. It was on wheels and looked like luggage so we used it as a piece of luggage and packed my husbands clothes in it .

Definitely eat breakfast at the resort....
Lunch well...is a little pricey but right up the street is a great restaurant called El Curevo Del Chango. Again FABULOUS!!! You must get the Mango Margarita. They use fresh mangos. No need to dress up. We went in our swim suits and cover up.

5th avenue is a pleasurable walk but make sure you wear bug repellent. Plenty of restaurants-bars-shops. Some of which can be pretty pricey. My rule of thumb was that if the guacamole was more than $6, I would look to eat else where. (Oh...the guac at El Cuervo Del Chango was only $2.60 USD..)

To reiterate previous comments..the grounds are extremly clean as are the rooms. Best vacation ever!!!!

I do have more pics but the site wouldnt let me download more than 1.

9  Thank Mary Ann B
Reviewed 19 April 2007

A tip in advance - skip this badly managed place and stay in Hotel Secreto on Isla de Mujieres instead!

A friend and I stayed here in March this year. I work in the travel industry and travel extensively and I have to say I have never encountered such rude and unhelpful reception staff - EVER!

On arrival, the rude French reception staff did not even say "welcome to the hotel" - never mind " I hope you enjoy your stay with us" - she proceed to straight away demand our credit card for payment guaruntee for eventual extras. Later in the stay we had a problem with an outsourced car hire firm. The gentleman from the car hire firm waited 2 hours in reception for the staff to inform us he was there, even though we were in our room on the balcony the entire time! When I approached the reception staff about the inconvenience to the gentleman, again a female member of staff shrugged, made a face and said "it's not my problem" - unfathomable in a so called 4 star hotel. Normally, I would have complained directly but the manager was "unavailable" and I have a feeling he or she would most likely have had the same response.

A pity that the front desk staff are so useless - the bar and restaurant staff were great.

PS - don't leave anything behind in your room - I accidently left a bracelet and ring - I called the hotel later that week when I noticed the loss. I was advised to call back a day later. When I did I was informed that there was no sign of my jewellry and again - the hotel advises guests not to leave valuables in the rooms - again - "not their problem"

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
6  Thank CarinaUk
Reviewed 9 April 2007

This place was just what we were looking for to celebrate our anniversary. It's right on the beach. Though the beach was smaller it was the nicest stretch of beach north of the Ferry pier...our opinion. We had a penthouse on the playa side that offered privacy. This is perfect for a special occasion. We would stay here again if we were in Playa for a special occasion.

The staff were all wonderful and very friendly.

The only drawbacks were; dinner was included...we never had dinner there. Most days our room was not cleaned until the 3 oçlock hour.

3  Thank tlegray