“we found paradise ! A+++++” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mahekal Beach Resort

Mahekal Beach Resort
Ranked #28 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Brooklyn, New York
“we found paradise ! A+++++”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

from the moment we arrived we only had the most luxurious , best and fastest service
Boli Goma ( concierge) is a super helpful and delightful man to deal w and the snorklin trip he organized made us super happy - dont hesitate to ask him !
we stayed in a room w a partial ocean view, located close to the bar area - all very nice except... in the last 2 days the bar got busier and we started waking up w/ some cold cigarette smell coming from thru the bathroom back window ...otherwise , PERFECTION
...the short walk to the beach, the beauty of the surrounding lush and manicured tropical gardens, the 2 pools were super clean , the superb buffets and breakfasts - a meal plan w/ 2 meals inclusive - ITS A MUST and SUPER SAVER - all amazing quality and variety - maybe the coffee quality could be better and stronger ( we are hard core about having strong coffee , what is not true from everyone) + we dined almost everyday outside , next to the beach , and ate a delich ceviche at lunch - the web site lists a fitness center , we did not see it ...
WE WILL BE BACK SOON ! and SUPER kid friendly ( next time we will bring his 5 year old )

Room Tip: next time we will ask for a room away from the bar
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patbessa
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

I have this unique feeling every penny was well worth. Nothing was missing. Certainly, We was at the best place we could be while visiting Playa del Carmen.

The pictures you see in the internet get short compared with the stunning beauty of the place. The rooms are are gorgeous palapas independent one from another. They are cute, colorful, clean and very comfortable.

The place is quiet and relaxing. The employees became friends since they are aloud to interact with the guests and they do it in a respectful and very kind way. Their care and kindness are very honest.

The food is excellent. The variety and quality of the menu is fantastic. The spa is very good. We had excellent massages on the beach.

There is a place where you can paint your own souvenirs. It was fun.

Boli the concierge was very helpful to find the best tours and actives. The location is very convenient. The main restaurants, clubs and commerce are walking distance. However, there is not noise to disturb the relaxing environment you will find in the hotel.

One could think this is a romantic place for a romantic getaway. However, my teenager daughter felt same as I did: very pleased, entertained and happy for choosing Mahekal to spend our 10 days vacation. There are not Tv in the rooms! I loved it! It forces you really to embrace the nature and to enjoy personal interaction.

We bragged about our hotel to other tourists and couple of them switched their hotels for Mahekal.

Room Tip: Ocean front: better view, however... the overall experience is excellent staying at any room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Lina L
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Just got back! The service could not be better, I even had a special bond with some of the service members! The food offered at the hotel restaurant is delicious, and so is the food in restaurants near by. The beach is beautiful, and there are so many great activities to do, like swimming with dolphins and snorkeling. The kids had a great time and I got to relax and take a break from e-mail and work. LOL! Looking forward to going back soon.

Room Tip: Rooms near the restaurant are larger and closer to things, such as the beach, pool and restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Lemmer, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

The photo's promise a lot, but it really is just as they promise. The bungalows are among the nicest places to stay in Playa del Carmen, and even the cheapest ones are in a good location and have a nice view. The beach is much better than in the center of the town, and it's just a small walk to town. Breakfast is excellent, and an abundance of fresh fruit! When you include dinner in your booking, you can choose daily to have an a la carte lunch instead of dinner. The lunch is also very good, the (buffet) dinners are barely ok. If you plan to switch dinners for lunches, don't book half board as paying for each lunch is not more expensive.

Room Tip: Cheapest rooms are just as good, no need to spend more unless you want a room directly at the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DutchFerry
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Wanting to get a little taste of Playa Del Carmen before heading to our all-inclusive, I decided Mahekal would be the perfect place to stay. It offered the flexibility we would be looking for, with 2 out of 3 meals provided a day, a beautiful beach, and close proximity to 5th Ave.

I was hoping to give Mahekal 5 stars, and we certainly enjoyed ourselves. There were only a few things that kept it from being perfect.

Day 1: We used USA Transfers to get to the resort. First impressions: The lobby looks great. Tranquil music is playing as you walk in. The staff is extremely friendly. We’re off to a good start. We check in and walk to our room. The grounds are very well taken care of. And as you walk towards the room (ocean view) you can hear the ocean and smell the salt air. It’s beautiful.

Then we get to our room, 13c. You know when you do your research and get your hopes up? Sometimes that means that you set yourself up for disappointment. Having looked at all of the pics on TA, I was disappointed in the bathroom the most. It was smaller than the ones I had seen before in pictures, with none of the colorful Mexican tile. The bathroom was tiny and very dimly lit. The shower was right up next to the toilet, with no curtain, and no divider of any sort. The fittings were all rusting and chrome was peeled off of fixtures. The room itself was fairly damp and it smelled musty. Our building was a standalone one story, so maybe it’s a little different with other room selections. If I were staying longer than 3 nights, I would have requested a new room. I had requested a specific room prior to my arrival, but it wasn’t available. I decided to call for a shower curtain and suck it up and have a good time. I mean, what was I complaining about? I’m in Mexico. Let’s get this party started!
Oh, by the way, my wife didn’t know that this was just the first stop of our vacation. Knowing that we would only be here for 3 nights, I figured we could make the most of it, and the Valentin, with its in-room hot tub, would more than compensate.

Once I adjusted my expectations, and got my shower curtain (no easy task---had to ask 4 times and finally got it at the end of the day) I was ready to have a good time. Once I got into vacation mode, aided by booking ourselves massages later that day, we were both in good shape. We ordered a drink, got some dinner, and enjoyed the rest of our first day.

Day 2: We both slept well. The bed was comfy. And having 2 beds actually worked out okay since there isn’t much closet space. We kept our suitcase on it. We got used to the humidity pretty quickly, inside and out, and it didn’t bother us nearly as much by day 2. Honestly, it was warm, but my home town of Kansas City was over 100 degrees every day we were gone. So Playa was actually cooler. One thing I loved about Mahekal was the food. It was very good. Better than breakfast or lunch at our next stop, the Valentin. For entertainment, we had 5th avenue. At night, in absence of TV, I had brought my Kindle Fire and loaded a few movies on it. During the day, we chilled out on the beach, using the chairs and palapas provided by the resort.

The beach was not that crowded, and there was a good mix of mostly locals and European tourists. It’s a very nice stretch of beach. Manuel was our waiter on the beach during our stay. He offered great service. Drinks aren’t included here, so it will add up quickly. But it was nice to have a frosty drink while enjoying our lunch on the beach. By the way, lunch directly on the beach was amazing. The food was unbelievable, and getting to eat it under a palapa was fantastic.

Day 3: This first half of the day was nearly identical to the day before, which is a good thing. Plenty of beach time, drinks, and good food. We did manage to walk next door to Azul massage that morning to get our day started off right. Our first massage of the trip was at the resort itself, and better. But the massage at Azul was half the price. We also explored more of 5th avenue that afternoon. I’ve seen lots of people on TA talk about their experience there. Many people feel heckled, while others feel completely the opposite. I rarely feel like I’m being harassed, but going there, I now see both sides. I found that it all depends on what time of day you go. Our first outing during the day was quite a chore. We walked nearly the whole stretch and literally almost every store was asking me to come in side. We were also one of the only people out. I couldn’t even hold a conversation with my wife, and did start to feel like I couldn’t even look at the stores. I really was just trying to get out of there because they wouldn’t take no for an answer. Not what I expected. However, later that evening, when more people were out, it was totally different, and much more enjoyable. 5th avenue looks better at night too. It’s definitely the time to go.

Later, we ended up making our way over to Fusion to check out the fire show and get a bite to eat. The vibe was good, and the food was tasty. We stayed until 11:15, and when we asked the waitress if the fire show was still on, she said it would be another 30 minutes, so we took off, satisfied with our experience to that point.

Day 4: We woke up early, walked to Starbucks, and headed back for a walk on the beach. It was then that I told my wife we were heading to an all-inclusive for the next 5 nights. The funny thing is, although she was excited, and we both loved going to the Valentin (also reviewed) for the rest of our trip, both of us were so settled into Mahekal, bathroom and all, that we were sad to leave. Getting a taste of Playa prior to our secluded adults-only resort was a good choice. All in all, we had a very good time. We picked up a few jellyfish lamps, toured 5th avenue, enjoyed some great food, and got some much needed beach time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank VacationMike
Victoria C, Director of Sales at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear VacationMIke,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. We have shared your comments with all of our staff, who are all so proud to serve everyone of our guests with their friendly smiles and warm service.

We are sorry the bathroom in your room did not meet your expectations, we do have different bathroom sizes and will note to have a bigger one for you for your next visit.

Our chef and her team praise themselves in delighting our guests with her delicious menu options, so happy you enjoyed her creations and the attentive service of her team.

Like you so well describe Mahékal offers an authentic Playa del Carmen experience, best beach, great foof, friendly staff and the opportunity to also enjoy the magnificent 5th Avenue, only steps away from the Resort, in any of its different moments, morning, evening or night.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Victoria Campos