This hotel was a wonderful and relaxing piece of paradise! We would definitely stay there again.
My husband and I searched for a hotel that was close to Playa Del Carmen but also kid friendly. We wanted a hotel that had enough amenities for a smaller kid (2 1/2 at the time). Mahekal was great because it has direct ocean/beach access and also has two pools. There were tons of other families with toddlers and younger babies. We were very glad to see we weren't the only ones!
Everyone was very nice and friendly. The staff was great and very accommodating. We loved our ocean front room. It was so beautiful and literally right on the beach. It was also great how shady the area was right around the room with lots of palm trees. My son could play in the sand very easily without getting burned.
Another great thing to this hotel was the number of foreign travelers you'd run into. There were people there from all over Europe and other parts of Mexico. We really loved the international feel of this simple, yet elegant, "no frills" hotel.
We also loved that the hotel was only about a 10 minute walk to downtown. We loved going to eat out for dinners. It was fun to venture out at night, but stay close to the hotel during the day for breakfast and lunch.
The security at the hotel is top notch. My husband accidentally left our iPad out on our front porch over night and it was still there the next day! We always saw security folks patrolling the beach to keep the guests safe.
We thought the food was good, but we enjoyed also eating out to get some variety. The menu options can get old after a week of staying at the same place!
Overall, this hotel was a great value for the money we spent. I felt that we got all of the important amenities we wanted and used. We didn't need a lot of the other crazy activities other hotels offer, so this hotel worked out really well for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Prestigia so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen