3,364 results
All reviewsshangri la caribehalf boardpalapa stylefuego restaurantlas olasgarden viewbreakfast and dinnerlas palapaspalapa roofocean frontping pongfifth avenuethe penthouseinfinity poolyogurtpalm treesthe wait staff
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My wife and I had been here before and took four other couples this time. We all stayed in the Cabanas on the beach which I would highly recommend. Resort is close enough to town to walk. This is not a 5star type resort but you won't care because it is beautiful, laid back, and an experience you will remember the rest of your life. I will be going back for my third visit at some point.

Room Tip: Any beach cabana.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nathanbs
Victoria C, Director of Sales at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Nathanbs,

We thank you for your preference and for posting your experience on Tripadvisor. We are really happy to know that you and your wife have been visiting us repeatedly and that you brought more friends to join you and share the pleasures of Mahékal. This is what we are all about, delighting in the company of your spouse, family and friends with warm and friendly service from our staff. We look forward to your next visit!

Best Regards from sunny Playa del Carmen!

Victoria Campos
Director of Sales & Marketing
Mahékal Beach Resort

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Mahekal it’s a great place to stay when you want to give your brain and body a break from the electronic world. If you can’t stay away from your computer, TV or alarm clock then this is not the place for you.
The location of this place is excellent as it’s at the end of a busy strip where vendors could really get annoying after a week.
The hotel itself is nice in a rustic way. It is located on the sand and the best part is the hammocks right outside the room overlooking the ocean….just beautiful!
I won’t recommend the restaurant for dinner because, neither the food or the wine was good. Your best bet would be a margarita. The breakfast on the other hand was great. Fantastic huevos rancheros and fresh fruit. A step from our hotel was a great place to eat called la Cueva de Chango -- amazing food, great prices and ambiance!!! There is also a Pizza Piola across the street. If you have time get a massage at the palapas, it’s just absolutely amazing when you can hear the ocean at the same time you are being treated.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Victoria C, Director of Sales at Mahekal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear 4theluvoflife,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you certainly understood and enjoyed what Mahékal is all about, disconnecting from everyday routines to enjoy the beauty of nature and relaxing with family and old and new friends in a warm and friendly environment.

We are sorry we did not meet your expectations in terms of our meals, which are designed to meet all different tastes. Hopefully for your next visit you will find something to your liking.

We all look forward to seeing you again!

Victoria Campos
Director of Sales and Marketing
Mahékal Beach REsort

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I think the #1 thing that makes this place so wonderful is the staff. The waiters, groundkeepers, bellboys, and all the staff I encountered seemed to all take pride in doing their job and did their job very very well! All very friendly and helpful, and went out of their way to really make the customers all happy.
Admittedly - we are used to staying at big chains such as the Hilton and Sheraton - we were not sure what to expect at the Mahekal. Our first night was a disappointment - we were in 32B on the Caribe side and the room was just dreadful. The rooms are basic - but this one was just opposite the bar. We were kept awake until almost midnight by the music and noise from the bar. Then, starting at 5 am we were awakened by loud chirping birds! We love nature, but this was overwhelming. The bathroom was in need of updating, water pressure was very poor, and the A/C never cooled down the room. The next morning we asked to change rooms, and were given the choices of several other Ocean View rooms. We checked some out and they were ALL better than 32B. Curiously enough, the couple below us in 32A was also changing rooms at the same time (for the same reasons). We joked about the rooms because almost daily while we were there we saw people move out of both of those rooms. Our new room was lovely - A/C worked great, immaculately cleaned, updated, water pressure, and had a balcony with hammock like the others. The breakfast buffet was great - fresh fruits and juices, bakery items, yogurt, cereals, and made to order eggs, pancakes, french toast, or Mexican specialties. Contrary to the review I read prior to our trip, the Dinner was actually quite good! Not every night was excellent, but definitely some dinners were just tasty and fabulous. Never would I say the food was bad. For lunch, we tried restaurants up the street towards the 5th (La Cueva del Chango, Piola, and Origines - all good.)
Beach was along the best strip along PDC (we walked towards the other end of the strip, and past Constituyentes the beach was rocky and filled with stinky seaweed.)
Pools could be bigger, and could use some shade. Beach area was great - know that the beach is public, and can get loud and busy.
Location cannot be beat. Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: I would recommend AGAINST 32 A & B and 34 A & B due to proximity to bar and reception area. Choose a room away from the bar if you want a quiet night to sleep. I'd say all rooms are well located. The garden view pueblito are less expensive, and still very close to pool and beach, and probably quieter. If you want to splurge, the ocean front rooms and the penthouse rooms look amazing. Adventura side I think is recently updated. Caribe side has rooms with palapa roof (only 2nd floor, or stand alone rooms however).
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pj813
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I loved the whole experience there. First thing my girlfriend and I did was to get massages at the Spa. They are totally affordable and Gabriel was awesome. I honestly felt asleep a couple times and one time I think i snorted a bit.

The dinner were also really good. The whole mood of the night is just right and really the food is great. I don't eat a lot but that trip I couldn't stop myself from eating. They had food for all diets, e.g. vegetarian, vegan, etc.

The hotel staff were all very nice and helpful. The waiters were very friendly and courteous. The cleaning crew were thorough clean and creative when decorating the room. A couple times I left my smart phone charging out and about and always came back to find it exactly how I left it. Boli, the concierge, was also *very* helpful. He gave us a very detailed, hand made map for a trip he suggested we take since we had a rental car. The day trip itself was awesome and the map was clear and we never got lost. Muchas gracias, Boli!

The beach itself was very nice and clean and not very crowded and the water was very refreshing. The moment I walked on the beach I fell in love with the site and made it my goal to move there sometime soon!

Not everything was perfect, though:
I paid a good amount for an Ocean View room. Unfortunately the view from my room was very limited. The roofs and vegetation blocked about 90% of the view, I felt kind of ripped off there. I didn't complain as I didn't want to go through the hassle, but it's definitely something I'll keep in mind when booking a room with them in the future.

All in all, it was an AWESOME stay. I loved everything about it. I will definitely try and make it back again soon!

Room Tip: Don't get 10P, I got 10P. If you can do everything to change it! It's an Ocean View room, but the view you get is very limited. There's roofs and lots of vegetation blocking the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Edgardo A
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Mahekal Beach Resort and chose this place after reading reviews from this site...Although my stay was pleasant and relaxing I would like to make other travelers aware of my pros and cons....
Pros first...
A great beach location approximately 6 blocks down and off of the main Calle street.
The beach was very clean and pretty - for guests only
Many palapalas for shade and lounge chaises
Beach towels provided
Two pools - one on each side of resort
Casitas very, very clean - maids were wonderful
Nice landscaping -