La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Adventure Experience Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Alux Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Mayan Paradise(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Thompson Playa Del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Hotel Playa del Karma(Playa del Carmen)
Elefante(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
In Fashion Hotel Boutique(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Hacienda Maria Bonita(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Magic Blue Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
2,472 results
All reviewsswim up roomrooftop jacuzzicomo comobeach clubincluded breakfast isattached restaurantboutique hotelcoco bongostandard roomsun deckpool areajunior suitehot tubevery morningshort walk to the beachour honeymoonfifth avenue
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed at La Tortuga for 6 days in March, extending my stay there for two days and loved it. What set this hotel apart from others are the people and location. Just a block away from the action on 5th Avenue, once you get inside the hotel, the tranquility will make you feel like you are a mile away. With my room facing 10th Avenue, there was some noise from Coco Bongo a block away, but it never really bothered me. It was great to come back to the hotel and the calmness of the outdoor garden, pool, Jacuzzi and bar.

The staff were amazing from the very beginning, always helpful, always smiling and always remembering your name. They were more than willing to offer suggestions for restaurants and day trips, and keen to hear how your day went. Fidel and Morgana were awesome bartenders, pouring some amazing drinks – my favorite being the Margarita Diablo.

Rooms were a little small but more than adequate (very clean, air-conditioned and no shortage of hot water. The restaurant, El Bistro serves a great breakfast, and although I never ate dinner there, heard nothing but good things from other guests.

Will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Colin B
La Tortuga H, Guest Relations Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear valued Guest,
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking a minute to write about La Tortuga Hotel & Spa. We are thrilled to hear that you are recommending our boutique hotel, and that you and your family had such a delightful and memorable stay.
We take great pride in the fact that our customer service and high standards has become our trademark and has gathered us at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa a standout choice when compared to other hotels in the area.
We welcome and value our customer comments as they are what help us to keep making changes within the hotel to grow, obtain and achieve our high quality standards and customer care.
I have shared your comments with our staff and they are grateful for your kind positive words. Once again, thank you and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity in welcoming you and your family back to La Tortuga Hotel & Spa soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Loved this cozy little boutique hotel...very comfortable, beautiful, quiet (adults only),great price, close to everything, love it!

• Stayed: May 2011
La Tortuga H, Guest Relations Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the wonderful La Tortuga. The staff is exceptional and so helpful for touring Playa del Carmen. This is teh 3rd time I have stayed at this hotel, and the first time where I noticed something very odd. One day we saw more than 5 armed police officers that looked very scary come into the hotel and start to demand information from the staff. I am not sure what happened but it was something that frieghtened me during my stay. I know security in Mexico can be an issue, but I have always thought of Playa and Hotel Tortuga as safe until now. The staff was unaware of what was going on, but the armed men did not seem appropriate. I hope this does not happen again, as many guests do not feel safe around armed police officers during their stay in a foreign country!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ekochika
LaTortugaG, Guest Relations Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review La Tortuga Hotel & Spa . We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations, and once again I apologise for that, we are working to achieve a better service and your comments are a great help to identify our areas of improvement.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I've just returned from a 5 night stay at La Tortuga and would highly recommend the hotel if you want a good independent experience. I was particularly keen to avoid the "all-inclusive, resort hotel" route and my decision proved right.
La Tortuga benefits from a prime location just behind the popular bars and restaurants of 5th Avenue. During the day it's oasis of tranquility with a very private and seluded pool area which is ideal for quiet relaxing. Yes, a lot of the pool area is shaded but if it's sun and sand you're after then the hotel has reciprocal arrangements with Zenzi Beach and Mamitas. Personally, I'd go for Zenzi Beach. There is a minimum spend for 200 pesos per person but with food and drinks you'll easily hit it. More to the point the food at Zenzi is excellent (some of the best Ceviche we ate).
Back to La Tortuga, we had a Junior Suite (305) with a lovely roof terrace and jacuzzi bath which was ideal for night time drinks or daytime lounging. The room was spacious and the beds were extremely comfortable.
I noticed that some reviewers commented on the state of the towels in the bathroom which are a little threadbare but this is a minor detail. I would also point out that there is noise from the local nightclubs (Coco Bongo and Palazzo) which can be heard into the small hours into the morning so if you are alight sleeper it would be advisable to bring earplugs.
The hotel staff are extremely polite and only too pleased to help. We took a recommendation from Laura on reception to go to a local eatery called "El Fogon"...mark my words this place is aweosme!! Forget fine dining! This is an authentic mexican experience and should not be missed.
Overall I'd have to recommend La Tortuga.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We just got back from 7 nights at La Tortuga. This was our first venture into a non-all inclusive in Playa, and we loved it! After reading the reviews, we were a little worried about the noise, but we heard no noises the whole week we were there. We were in a swim-up room (#108), so we were on the opposite side of the hotel from Coco Bongo, however. If you are worried about noise, ask for a room by the bar/lounge. Ours was right next to it and very quiet.

The service was incredible - our airport transfer was on time, fast and friendly (we landed at 5:20am, and were on the beach in Playa by 7:30am). No matter, from breakfast to happy hour, door men to check-in, to hanging out by the pool, -- they took care of our every need. The day we lounged by the pool, they skimmed and vacuumed it three times.

As for the negatives listed by other reviewers (besides the noise), every hotel we've ever stayed at in Mexico has smelled a little musty. It's pretty normal for rooms that stay tightly closed all day in humid conditions. And as for towels, we were usually given 2 bath towels and one hand towel. When we called to ask for more, however, they were delivered promptly.

Being so close to 5th Avenue is the best part, and though Mamitas is a bit of a walk, we preferred it to Zenzi. If you go early (I usually went around 8am), there was no foot traffic on 5th, so it took me less than 10 minutes. The beach/water is far better at Mamitas, and their shrimp cocktail is marvelous.

We only have good things to say about La Tortuga, and next time we are in the mood for a non-all inclusive, we will definitely stay there!

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are by the bar/lounge.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple