“Breathtaking Resort!!”

Ranked #21 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Portland, Oregon
“Breathtaking Resort!!”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My wife and I got married at Playacar Palace June 26, and it was an awesome experience. We stayed at the resort June 21st-June 30th. There was a total of 15 of us and everyone loved it and would totally go back. We booked our vacation through Melissa at beach bum Vacations (melissa@beachbumvacations.com) and she really took care of us, she visited a ton of resorts in Mexico and this was the one she recommended to get married at. We had so many questions especially since we were getting married there, and had never been to Playa del Carmen. Melissa was a joy to work with and easy to get a hold of. We must of emailed her a 100 questions and she was always quick to reply back and always had answers and suggestions. She made the whole trip easy, we will definately be booking through her in the future.

The resort was absolutely beautiful! It's a smaller resort so it was so much more intimate. Since there was a group of us, it made it much easier to coordinate things, and it was easy to find people. We had a honeymoon suite on the ground floor right on the beach looking out at the ocean. We had a huge private deck with table and chairs and a double sun bed. It was so nice to go out and have coffee in the morning and just take it all in. All the rooms are stocked with liquor and beer and were always stocked daily. The resort has 24-hour room service wich was nice, so we took advantage of that quite often. The air conditioner in the room worked really well which was much needed since it's so warm and humid this time of year. Our room was always cleaned and looked like new whenever we'd return from being out and about. The overall cleanliness at the resort is amazing. They have so many staff and they're always going out of their way to make sure you have everything you need.

I had read reviews saying that since it's an all-inclusive resort, the food isn't as good. Well I totally disagree. There are only 3 restaruants, and they were all really good. The buffet restaruant was actually my favorite, they do a good job of changing up the food. The Italian restaraunt was really good also, it always felt good to get dressed up and meet there for dinner. The Asian restaraunt was 3rd on my list, I really liked their pad thai and ordered it a few times. They also have a grill area outside by the pool that you can order from which was nice and quick. The pool is where we spent most of our time, we thought because they only have 1 large pool that it would be really crowded, but it never was. The pool was beautiful and super clean. The service at the pool was great, the staff would always remember what my favorite drinks were. It was always fun bellying up to the pool bar and sitting on the bar stools which are in the water. The drinks were plenty strong and they had a lot of top-shelf liquors. They would have planned activities at the pool and on the beach which I thought would be annoying, but they totally weren't. A lot of people would actually participate and it was quite interesting and entertaining to watch. Another nice thing about it being a small resort is that you can pretty much get to anywhere in the resort within a couple minutes. The buffet restaraunt is right by the pool which was really conveniant. The biggest perk of the resort is its LOCATION. The resort is located right by the ferry, which will take you to Cozumel, about a 30-40 minute trip. One of my favorite days was when we took the ferry to Cozumel and went to the sister resort Cozumel Palace, which was also breathtaking. It was so nice to be able to walk right into the resort with no questions asked. The food there was just as good. This resort doesn't have a beach but the pool sits just up over the oceans edge and over looks it. They have a large area that you can snorkle in which we did, and it was a blast. You can get equipment right there at the pool. This trip is a must! The other awesome benefit of its location is that you're less than a 5 minute walk to 5th avenue. We went there 3 different days to walk the town, shopping, and drinks/food. You just have to get used to all the street vendors and shop employees trying to get you to buy their stuff. It was really annoying at first but then you just get used to it and learn to ignore them. It's just easiest to not even reply or make eye contact. My wife and I went into town 1 night by ourselves and felt safe, there were tons of poeple and tourists out until really late. I would definately not go by yourself at night though, it's just not a chance I'd take. We got married on a tuesday at 6pm, and it was a dream come true. We were first planning on getting married on the beach, but we decided to get married on the terrace which looks out over the resort and ocean. The terrace is a private setting which we liked better over the beach wedding. The wedding totally went as planned and couldn't have been better, thanks to the wedding coordinator (Yazmin). They have a lot of weddings at this resort but Yazmin made us feel like ours was the one and only. After the wedding the photographer took us around the resort, and onto the beach for pictures. We only had an hour with the photographer so we had to act quick, but that was just fine. The photos turned out great and they gave us the album before we left. This place got great wedding reviews and now I know why. I read lots of reviews of getting hit up by timeshare people but My wife and I never did. There was a couple people from our group that did but it was only once. The whole resort credit thing was difficult and seemed confusing. The biggest problem was how long it took to book something. You go sit down to book something and it seemed to take 30-45 minutes everytime, and they were always busy. It's hard to use all the credits because you can only use a set amount for certain things. My wife used as many as possible at the spa, which is about a 7 minute shuttle ride from the resort. We thought this would be a pain at first but it wasn't bad at all. A shuttle leaves like every 15 minutes.

All in all, I totally recommend this resort and I'd definately go back. We are so happy our travel agent recommended it and couldn't of been happier!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank trailblazerfan74
PlayacarPalaceGM, Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.com, we truly appreciate the effort.

Dear trailblazerfan74

We are really happy you enjoyed your stay. Nothing is more important to us than you having a good and relaxing time here with us as we believe you should be treated like family.

I have shared your kind words with the rest of the Family who thank you very much.

We look forward to having the chance of welcoming you back at Playacar Palace

Hasta Pronto
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,122)
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This was our first all-inclusive resort and first trip outside US. We have nothing to complain about as far as our stay at Playacar. The layover and customs process are another story. We stayed 8 days and 7 nights and rewarded the $1500 credits. We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite. It included a separate living room area, jacuzzi, covered patio, and deck. That room was amazing, nothing has compared to that room from our other trips. During our stay we did a couple things. We were able to go to the beautiful Tulum ruins, which you can not climb anymore. While on that excursion your able to go to the beach, so bring your trunks or bathing suits. The scenery, water, and sand are picture perfect. Another excursion was Xcaret, the hotel offers some type of discount. That place was awesome, but an all day type of thing. We swam the underground river...never done anything like that. Again bring your swimming gear. The last excursion we did was swim w/ dolphins (can't remember the name of place) and that is really cool. A must do, but the picture prices are ridiculous. All the details (pickup, payments, questions) for these excursions can be organized w/ the hotel staff. As far as the hotel, well its amazing. The food (restaurants and room service) was great with a little bit of exotic, local, and traditional. The drinks were cold and wet just the way we like them. This time of year the waves were calm and temperature was 70 - 80s. It rained once for like 20 minutes, but then cleared up for a prefect day. I like the fact that the large pool was a pool and not a volleyball court. You could swim up to the bar and relax. They had great entertainment every night. BEWARE they will pick you out of the crowd, but hey your on VACAY so be dangerous.We also did the romantic dinner w/ lobster tail and steak...very romantic ;-) Another cool thing about Palace Resorts is that you can go to other Palace Resorts and get the all-inclusive there. We went to Aventura Spa Palace to get a discount on an excursion and was suckered into a long presentation, but after that we got the discount and enjoyed another beautiful resort for the day. They have a cove that you can swim w/ little fish. Another Palace we visited was Cozumel Palace which is a ferry ride away. The ferry from Playacar was real short walk on the beach. At Cozumel Palace you can snorkel in the ocean, its included. The ferry is also located next to the market. It's safe and crazy (as in good). There are all these vendors, deals, food, Corona, street entertainers, Cohiba cigars, and Senor Frogs. You should check out the market one night. Overall, we loved it. A tip: bring some dollars because your already great service will improve. Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GL210
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.com; everyone of the Playacar family truly appreciates it as it conveys a real message to those that have not been here yet and consider staying with us.

Happy you njoy your trips to Tulum, Xcaret and Swimm with Dolphins.

Thank you for acknowledging the little details that make the difference it really makes us proud.

Thank you again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and our two teenage sons recently returned from a 7 night stay at the Palace. This was our second trip to a Palace resort. Last year we went to Cancun Palace and the kids had such a good time we wanted to come back to another palace resort. We were asked, "why not become members", I don't really have an exact answer for that because we liked a few of Palace resorts having stayed at only two but we have visited many of the others during our trips...We really like Cancun palace the best but now it is a Hard Rock....maybe that was why.
Playacar Palace was beautiful, clean, perfectly located on a great beach and near "5th Avenue" shopping. While there are only 3 restaurants at the resort there was some variety of food on the menus and I think if you asked they would try to make you whatever you wanted. One place is Japanese/Sushi but also had Indian dishes. The Italian Restaurant also had Steak. The Buffet bar had a little bit of everything. The Pool Bar menu was terrific for a good ole American Chicken Club and Hot Wings mid afternoon and when all the chefs come out with ice cream to cool everyone off at the pool..nice touch...coconut is the best. We were impressed by the staff at the resort and that the employees went out of their way to provide good service in every department....just like last year at CP. I absolutely love how every time you say "thank you", they say "it is my pleasure" and seem to actually mean it. Angel the Matre D' in the Italian restaurant was a character, very accomodating. There is a special Flambe dessert (Bananas foster) that your server will prepare table side if you ask..save room for that. And Gaspar, who moved from Luna Bar to Ceilo was our favorite bartender, we loved him. Note to staff, Jagermeister needs to be in the freezer or well chilled, it is terrible at room temp.. It was a terrific surprise that you even had Jagermeister, though...it's the little things.
Our room was incredible..we were upgraded to a suite, although it was a pebble toss from Senior Frogs, near the Pier and New Spa Construction we were incredibly grateful...not sure how we got that lucky and the little bit of noise never bothered us. Having the extra space with 4 of us was great. I gave this Palace an excellent review because they delivered on everything promised in their advertising and had a good time at the resort for the most part. Two things that could have made it better. Evening entertainment was lacking some nights. On the second night they had music trivia in the Luna Bar, that was fun and it allowed us to meet other guests...specifically our kids who met some sweet girls from Michigan that they hung out with a couple days. Last year at Cancun Palace there was always something going on and that is why our kids had so much fun. The last night we were there they had Karaoke in the Cielo bar and it was PACKED. It didnt last very long but it was also another great opportunity to meet other guests. Karaoke night was our favorite. I suggest that palace do Karaoke more often. There were a few nights that nothing was going on. Pool activities during the day were hit and miss but overall fun. It appeared that De De the activity lady tried to get people involved and some days there just wasnt enough interest I guess? but some days they had a great time playing water polo and beach volley ball, I never saw them play water volleyball. One of the main reasons we came back to Palace was because last year our kids spent the entire day playing water volleyball, water polo and beach volleyball, pool and ping pong with other kids. For us the activites were important because we like to be social but don't want to leave the resort at night...but if you came down with a bunch of family, wedding or just friends you would have a built in group to have fun with and if you came down to just relax and have drinks it is a perfect place to do so.
Resort credits? Some people have complained about having to pay the 11% tax on them now and also that some of the prices of the tours/services are a little inflated. I think the value depends on what you spend them on. We had a photo shoot on the beach and thought the value was immeasurable. We did buy the CD for $99, so for $150. we have some wonderful memories that would have cost us well over $500 anywhere else. We also used the spa credits and it was amazing. I hear the dolphin swim is a waste of money, but we did not do this so I can't say for sure. We also used the credits for upgraded wine.

We gave this an excellent rating because the Palace delivered everything promised and more. The staff goes above and beyond.

Room Tip: ask for a roll away bed. If you are traveling with kids in your room and they don't want to sha...
1 Thank Cheriejay
Edmonton
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Our family spent from July 7 - 14 at Playacar Palace and is everything we wanted and more.
The weather, staff, suite and food were all amazing.
We booked thru Travelocity and could only book the Resort view room as a package deal, but we were told we could use our resort credits to upgrade. The room we got was ok but they were doing work on the new spa and the view sucked so the next morning we asked to upgrade.
Erik at the front desk as great! He showed us the Governor's Suite and then the Honeymooners Suite. You definitely want the Honeymooner (room 241) even if you are a family, they will bring in an extra bed and it has the best patio view on the resort. My wife and 2 girls slept on the king and I on the portable single bed. I didn't care, the room was awesome!.
This room had 8 top name liquor dispensor bottles with 2 fridges with beer and soft drinks.
After that we did not leave the resort for 3 days! The beachfront, the buffet and view were all we wanted!
The wait staff and activity staff were incredible. Thanks to Vera, Nora, Berence and Roman for making our beach experience totally incredible!

I brought 50 $1 bills to tip and it was worth every penny to see the appreciation and return service that a few bucks can make.
Town and 5th Ave shopping is literally next door, so that fix was easily satisfied.
I would recommend this resort to anyone. Thanks Playacar Palace!

Room Tip: Room 241 is the Best
1 Thank Socialablesteve
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.com; we truly appreciates it as it conveys a real message to those that have not been here yet and consider staying with us.

Thank you again.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts throughout Mexico, DR and Caribbean and this by FAR was a one of the TOP all-inclusive; I've been too!
We traveled with a large group for a wedding; within our group we had families with young kids, just couples, and singles- we also had a wide range of ages within group-
The Resort was amazing we got everything and more- There is free long distance to US and Canada, FREE Wi-Fi, 24 Hour Room service, a perfect size resort and LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
The resort was right off of 5th ave; where there is tons of shopping and nightlife- The Cozumel ferry and Senior Frogs are right next to hotel; you can use the sister hotel when you go over to Cozumel- Safety was not an issue there! We were all a little worried with all we’ve heard in the news over the past year, however We all stayed smart, travelled at least with 2 people or more. We went out nightly to 5th ave to bar/night club; also we went out shopping throughout the week vacation, each time walking back and forth no need for taxi service.
The room credits worked for us, we were able to go swimming with dolphins, take family photos, upgrade wine, spa services, and gift shop purchases- Please note there is a 11% service fee when using credits on some services;
The only negative I found at this resort was the front desk; our entire group found them to be very disorganized, it seems like they don’t note or communicate with each other about rooms/guests; on the plus side ALL other staff were over and beyond great, they made vacation feel like a true paradise!
Food was good, buffet always had option plus a grill station, omelette station, and pasta station- The a la cart restaurants were good, the menus changed throughout week and you didn’t have to book reservations; the staff were always pleasant.
The Bar is great you have so many options of liquors; the staff was educated about some many different types of drinks and always had suggestions to try! Our favourite was Mexican flag shot-
The entertainment staff was great during the day but nightly entertainment I have seen better, but bonus is that 5th ave is right outside the resort gates and always had great nightly entertainment
The room we had was #215, nice view of beach and pool; very clean and modern, the bonus was that each room has its own private bar, a Jacuzzi, personal care products were salon worthy and the staff was very respectful of our things; plus always had the room clean and did turn down service daily
Overall had an awesome time- would defiantly stay at resort or sister resorts in the future-

6 Thank VannyR
PlayacarPalaceGM, Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an extensive review of your stay here at Playacar Palace. I and the entire family appreciate quite a lot as you pointed out all the efforts that we pleasantly make day in and day out to make sure our guests are treated like we would treat our own families stay with us.

Everyday we work to be better and try to avoid circumstances that affect our guest. Our new system is focus in that way.

Again thank you for all the comments, and we hope to see you back soon

D. Rubio
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
10.2 km away
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
37.7 km away
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
20.0 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
3.8 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
1.8 km away
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#34 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK