“Amazing Views, Bad Food” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #18 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing Views, Bad Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

We just got back from Playacar Place on May 30th, overall had a nice trip. There are more Cons than Pros. I'll start with the Pros: The location is great, right on 5th street, so you don't have to walk that far. The views are amazing. The staff is really helpful and nice.

Now for the Cons: if you enjoy food like my boyfriend and I do, this all inclusive resort doesn't cut it at all! In our opinion the food wasn't good and with only 3 places to eat it made it very disappointing. We would say the food was ok and would never go back if it was a normal restaurant. I've been to all inclusive resorts were the food was good. By the 3 day we started leaving the hotel to eat (which was only a little better); we did find a restaurant called "Sur" that had amazing food, staff and drinks. during our 6 day trip that was the only time we really enjoyed our food. Room service menu is small and just ok too. The food was the most disappointing part of our trip.

We also noticed some weird things here and there. Such as they kind of keep the premium liquor on the hush hush (ex: gray goose), we would ask for the Gray Goose vodka instead of Absolute and they would hesitate to say yes they had it which we found really weird and later annoying because you're being looked at like your crazy LOL. Also, it was like they only opened one bottle (of top shelf) per bar. So if one bar was out we would have to go to the other one to see if they had it. To this day we don't understand why they do this. So if you want top shelf liquor make sure you ask for it because if not they will give you the cheap stuff.

Another annoying thing was that we stayed in a Concierge Level room (suppose to have all these perks) but it seemed as if no one knew that was the type of room we were staying in. Despite one the the guest services people telling us that our Gray wrist bands is suppose to let everyone know. I had to constantly let them know we were in a concierge room, only then they would check the computer and then they would agree with whatever request we had.

There were also other little things here and there. I'm not the type of person to complain about everything, I understand things happen that are out of their control so I never brought up what I'm about to mention to management. Like having to call house keeping 3 times in one day for two days straight to clean the room or that on the 3rd day (because they are doing construction on the building) they were working on the water pipes and in the middle of my boyfriends shower the water turned brown!! They came and fixed it right away, but any person would have freaked out if this happened to them. He had to finish his shower with bottles of water to rinse off the soap. You could hear the construction from the out side of our room that started at 9-9:30 every morning. Wasn't as big of a deal because we were just getting up, but that can be an issue for some people. Our last day was the most annoying for me, part of our room is to have an early check in and late check out. I let the guy know this when we checked in, so on the morning that we are suppose to leave I get a call at 9 am from the bell man wanting to schedule our bag pick up. I then had to call the front desk to ask about our late check out, at first I was told they couldn't do it because it's not offered. I then had to explain what type of room we were in AGAIN, I then was told I would be called back. After an hour and a half I had to call them back, then was told we would need to leave and go to another room. When I refused and explained that I had already requested a late check out due to the time of our flight, they agreed. Only to be called back right back by the same person and asked to move rooms, so had to explain why I was not ok with it. THEN got a call again 2 hours later to tell me they were ok with my late check out. It seemed like the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.

By the 3rd night I was ready to come home and I NEVER want to leave on vacations. I love being away from home and relaxing, so for someone like me to feel that way says a lot. All in all we had a good time, too many up's and downs for us to say we had an amazing vacation. Which sucked for me because we were there because it was my gift to my boyfriend for his 30th birthday.

Hope my review helps.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Christina H
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,069)
  • Korean first
Tijuana, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I wrote the first review when I was staying in playacar, and I really needed to add another issue cause the last day of staying at playacar.
First review I wrote on 5/15
I am in playacar palace right now(unfortunately i have 2 days more), my experience in Playacar it is not good.
we are 6 party (4 party is my guest for my wedding ) one of my party had very loud room. (somewhere near of hotel or inside of hotel is under construccion,our room number was #450!!
we asked the change of room, they said they gonna check , but until we asked again they did not check. and then, they found the room but they said if we wanted the change the room we had to pay for the room change or other option is use credit money of resort!! we had to complain for change the room without charge. I would not pay "ni un peso" for noisy room!!
they said that they achieved the room change without charge but it is not "achieve", it was just their work!!! they don't know what is "service" and " work".
conclusion, i will not stay again this resort and don't expect good review from me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last day I got injured at toilet room still I am waiting hotel’s action. I did not receive any apology from hotel.
I gonna share the email as below that I sent to hotel 2 days after accident.
Text : I just got injured at Playacar hotel ( luna lounge woman’s batheroom)
It happened after salsa dance time (5/17) I went to luna lounge bathroom, when I entered to the toilet room the door was not move gently, I needed to force a little bit to close the door.
When I went out from toilet’s room, the door wasn’t move completely, the door was declining toward the floor, so the door jamed on the floor , I needed to push the door to get out from room,when I pushed two or three times , the door fell down and I got injured a little. it didn’t look very serious. I got toenail broke,I got hurted the tip of the foot. But get me upset more is hotel’s action.
They does not want to be responsible of this injury, they offered just medical revision, the doctor gave us prescription, I thought of course it cost would cover by hotel.
But they said that the medicine cost it does not cover by hotel, also mentioned that still is INVESTIGATING who is responsibility of this accident!!
I am 45 kg (100 pound) woman, do you believe that own myself could broke the door?
If it does, the installation totally bad and wrong!!
I am uploading the picture that took the day after, you can see the mark ,scratch on the floor. The door was scratching the floor, it means the door not good installed and has more time having bad installation.
So how is possible to blame to the guest (they said some of guest used badly the door) so that has occurred this accident. I don’t think so. the door was already broken and there were signs of other people trying to open it with force because it wouldn’t budge during more than one week or more.
How many times you check your facility? No one reported before? at least cleaning person should be reported about the door.
I really upset to hear about so many excuse that they did not responsible accident. what is job of maintenance team? Don’t you think that your job is for preventing the accident, not repairing!!
I am not suing type, just I need to hear your apology and pay full of medical cost.
Remember that I was on my honeymoon with my family they came from Asia, you already know we had complain regarding room has nosy construction, bad service of romantic dinner and last moment this accident. I can not believe how could happened just to me . I read so many good review tripadvisor and trusted it,
Honestly your service range is not 5 star, the server of restaurant very good, I really willing to tip them, tour service team Julio was really good. But front desk it was not trained .
---not again playacar. I really enjoyed at Le blanc.(our first stay was at Le blanc, it really worth the money value!!) although the playacar is the half price I wouldn’t spend any penny for this hotel.
How can I be more patient to hear one sincere apology from hotel?

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank yewoniyo
san antonio, tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just got back from our vacation to PlayaCar Palace. What can I say, it was the best vacation we have ever taken. We have been members of Palace Resort since 2006 and this is by far the best palace. Since the minute we got there to the minute we left we knew it was going to be different. Our room was on the 5th floor with a breathtaking view. The beach is incredible. The water was perfect. We couldn't ask for anything better.
The service was excellent. We have been to almost all the Palace Resorts and have always had outstanding service. Carlos at the poolside bar made the most incredible mojitos. Claudia was usually our waitress and was always attentive. The restaurants were very delicious. Jazz, the manager at the MomoNoHana always went out of his way for us. Oh, how I miss hIm! The shopping at Avenida Quinta was great. I loved that it was right next door and within walking distance. We didn't do any excursions since all I wanted to do was relax and relax I did. We never ate out ot the resort but plan to on our next trip there. I'm sure we'll be back next year.
If your looking for a small but fun place to take your vacation consider PlayaCar Resort. You won't regret it. The place is fantastic!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank lzcoder
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

we've stayed at over 20 hotels all over mexico and this was a good all-insclusive one. very nice staff. clean hotel, and the rooms were nice.
great food at buffet - lots of variety, loved the coconut popsicles and lemon celery juice. didn't try the other restaurants though. the ballroom was beautiful, and the resort was pretty. beautiful pool area, nice sandy beach and very nice view to see the sunrise.
the only thing is with the resort credits, we could hardly use them as the excursions were somehow always booked or unavailable to us. so the credits were basically useless.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank greensmartie
Plantation
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

October 2011. Your just not going to make everyone happy but, it was seriously an unhappy vacation. Our first day was very magical. The open air lobby was very unique and beautiful. Our arrival reception was as always very classy for a Palace Resort. Beach area was outstanding.
BUT!! On our first morning the hotel flooded. I woke up at 6 am to use the bathroom and our room was absolutely-I'm not kidding FLOODED!!!!!! When the maintenance man came into our room he ran out fast and called for help on the Wilkie talkie. We could not tell you how many Palace workers came into our room to survey the flooding. The water was gushing in from the window. We were told to pack our luggage and leave the room. In our rush I failed to realize our large luggage bag on the ground was full of water and all our dry clothes from the drawers were soaking wet when we were finally given another room. At 6:30 am we were in the lobby waiting for another room. We tried to switch to Aventura Palace as we stayed there two yrs ago and it was fabulous but, we were told it was booked. We were told another room would not be available for a few hrs. it was to early for the buffet to open so, we waited until it was opened. After we went to the spa and tried to unstressed and keep ourselves awake.
We finally got another room around lunch time. We had lunch and ended up sleeping part of the day. We also could not ignore the stench from the septic. The reason why our room flooded was due to rain and it flooded the lower levels. Can't complain about any septic backup but the smell was very obvious. Roof leaks were everywhere. Water was dripping through the ceilings everywhere. Marble floors are very slippery when wet. The resort was under repair for the rest of the week. The Oriental restaurant was closed for the rest of the week-at least we ate there the first night.
We found ourselves trying to escape the resort. Visited Cancun Palace and tried to move but, they were booked for a large convention coming in for the weekend. Spent the day at Cozumel Palace. It was very nice. We were a little upset to watch the snorkel trip leave the dock. We had inquired doing the tour as it is included but, we were told only the Isle Majara snorkel trip was available to us. Unfortunately we took the tour two years before.
We had to pay for our own transportation to the dolphin tour. When we got to the tour location we recognized the wedding party of about 12 that were staying at Playacar and agreed we thought the transportation was supposed to be included. we also talked to another couple who's room also flooded. They had also made verbal complaints about the flooding mishap to management but, were also given a cold shoulder.
Wet n Wild was fun but, again we were given some more misinformation. We wanted to book the dolphin tour at wet n wild but, we were told we had to go to the dolphin tour near Playacar. When we got to wet n wild they had the dolphin tour. At this point we were getting more and more confused at to what was going on and we kept questioning each other to make sure we had heard correctly. Were at wet n wild about three hrs. And choose to grab a cab and go to Cancun palace. As I stated we tried to switch also to this resort. Cancun Palace is beautiful and wonderful in every way. A+ to the new remodel.
Towards the end of the trip I did e-mail our travel agent/palace member and let her know what was going on. When we got home I already had a message on my phone from her. She gave me the direct e-mail for complaints which I did send an e-mail to. I did receive an e-mail confirming they acknowledged and were aware of the many issues we had and that our complaint would be passed on to some one else but, that was months ago. We have heard nothing else.
We were so lost on this vacation. I just wanted to get on a plane and come back home. Yes, it has been seven month since our visit but, the whole trip was such an inconvenience. We had high expectation from our previous Palace Resorts vacations but, were sorely disappointed.
Zip line tour was no longer available to us as promised and a visit to the Eco-park is now extra.
On a more positive note the waiter service was very good. But, we could tell they were understaffed. Buffet food was good. Maintenance was trying to correct all the leaks ASAP. Drinks were good and food and beverage on the beach were served quickly.
Like I said were are not complainers. Our other visits to Cancun Palace-before the hurricane remodel and Aventura Palace were exceptional vacations. Tours were good, food was yummy and service was great. This time was just one issue after another that wouldn't quite.

Room Tip: Aventura Spa Palace is great for relaxation. Cancun Palace a more party atmosphere. Oceanfront a mu...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
21 Thank buggabooboo
rmalacara, Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to convey you my sincere apologies for all of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us.

I very sorry to hear the negative experience you had with the room. Normally our rooms are in very good condition, however the most resistant materials can be damaged by natural factors as this happen, when there is an issue we do our best to fix it promptly, or we try to assign a new room and give priority to these situations and I am truly sorry that we were unable to improve your experience more quickly, fortunately maintenance and housekeeping staff works diligently 24/7 to make our hotel stand out. I’m very concerned while reading your comment about your belongings since we had a different report. I’m very sorry than weather inconvenience have affected to the Oriental Restaurant and you were not able to keep enjoying this place any more, however it's important to mention that guests were able to enjoy oriental food at the dinner buffet and the Chef was able to please any oriental food previously required.

I’m glad to know that your visit to Cancun Palace and Cozumel Palace were pleasant, fortunately the guests staying in Palace Resorts chain are able to enjoy good benefits, such as spending the day in those Resorts without cost.
I regret to hear that you did not received complete excursions information, we constantly promote different excursions based on good comments and suggest from guests, we are currently reviewing the tours information with the responsible department in order to avoid having this happen to guests in the future.

I sincerely apologize for did not provide you a timely response, the customer service department it’s taking care of this issue.

I would like to thank you for your positive comments about our staff service, food and beverage quickly.

Once again, we are deeply sorry that we did not meet your expectations, and we would like to thank you for letting us know about your experience so we can identify our opportunity areas in order to make any improvements that might be required.

I’m at your service and if you have another comment or question please do not hesitate to contact me.

Rene Malacara
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,833 reviews
3.8 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,062 reviews

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK