5,478 results
All reviews star friends howler monkeys specialty restaurants jungle atmosphere japanese restaurant swim up bar thomas cook sports pool dressel divers other resorts towel hut jungle feel ate at the japanese tenderloin main buffet main pool magic show
Reviewed 20 February 2016

I will start off with the only two cons we had at this great hotel. For the eight days we were there, they seemed to want to clean our room at the same time we wanted to get ready for dinner. 4 of the 8 days. Second, my wife had a sore foot and you have to do some walking to get to the beach or most of the dining areas of the hotel. We did catch a ride on a hotel golf cart a few times.

We loved everything else at this hotel. We had a beachfront room on the first floor, which I requested ahead of time, and they said they would try to get us on the first floor. We have been to about 25 resorts in Mexico, and this is one we will want to return to. They have the most beautiful beach we have ever been to, and the little seaweed that is there is cleaned up in the morning. We were lucky enough to get to all five specialty restaurants (two of them due to cancellations), At the Steak House, I ordered a filet mignon, and I was disappointed that it came butterflied. It turned out to be the most tender and delicious steak I have had in my 77 years! I don't know what they put on it for spices, but I would sure like to know! The Italian and Mexican restaurants were our second favorites, but we really liked them all, including the buffet.

The staff here is very friendly and helpful all the time. No problems with any request.
The drinks here are good, and we thought their house wine was the best we have had on any of the resorts we have visited. The one thing we liked about the walks from front to back is all the wildlife in this jungle environment. We saw them all, but only saw monkeys twice. We didn't even know what some of the animals and birds were called. Beautiful pond with Flamingos near the buffet.

We thought our room was clean and comfortable, but it is starting to look a little dated, but who cares when your outside most of the time anyway? There were some days the shower would go from cold to hot and back, but not a serious problem. Might be for a child. To sum it up, we plan on coming back to the Iberostar Quetzal.

Room Tip: We were in Building 20, which is beachfront. Quiet there at night. Our second choice would be bldg. 21
5  Thank Dave425
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2016

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal to spend your recent vacations.

We appreciate you taking the time to comment about your experience. It is great to know that you really liked our beautiful beach, our delicious specialty restaurants, the gorgeous natural grounds and our amazing staff service.

We will gladly be looking forward for your return!

Best regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2016

I used to stay in places like this when I was 20 in Tunisia. Positives:- The food quite good and the rooms are large and the gardens/wildlife are interesting. The lobby bar was rather good with excellent coffee and hot chocolate. Japanese restaurant good. The Dorada in the Meditterean restaurant excellent. Negatives:- Reception tag you on arrival with a very unstylish orange bracelet. The hotel was large, crowded and noisy. The sand on the beach only just visible beneath the crowds. The pool area and some of the restaurants/restrooms were rather grubby. The all-inclusive policy was rather undermined by over-zealous promotion of wines that were not included i.e. All but one if the inclusive wines were not available. It was difficult to get reservations in the A La Carte restaurants especially if you were staying for less than 7 days. My hairdryer overheated after about 3 mins and I was not alone in this respect. I had to repair the TV myself as Guest Services was engaged for 3 days. The hotel was really only a 3.5 star and was good for families and young adults. The resort of Playacar is rather uninspiring.

Room Tip: Not sure as our room was really dark overlooking the pond and noisy - lots of mosquitos too.
2  Thank CalGloucestershire
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2016

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal for your recent vacations.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our delicious specialty restaurants, our nice facilities and our amazing natural surroundings.

On the other hand, we regret not meeting your expectations. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you had during your stay. Your feedback is really important to us as it help us to keep improving ourselves to continue offering the best experiences.

We would be honored to have the opportunity to restore your confidence with the true IBEROSTAR services.

Reviewed 19 February 2016

Spent 9 days at the Iberostar Quetzal and had a great time. The room was nice, decent bed, air conditioning worked very well, as did shower. The food here was consistently good, there are several buffets and ala carte restaurants with a decent variety and snacks available until 4am. The beach was incredible, soft white sand and blue ocean. There were a lot of chairs on the beach many with shade. You can also check out a sun umbrella if needed. The pool is very nice but deep. There is a pool bar but it is not part of the main pool. It is in a little grotto off to the side. It is labeled as adult only which we liked. The service was excellent. Rooms always very clean. Service at restaurants was prompt and they even offer pool and some beach service. The beer is pretty standard Dos Equis, both lager and amber and they have decent brands of liquor like Smirnoff and Tanqueray. Late nights are low key. There is a show in the center of the resort - never went. There are several bars open unitl minnight and a sport bar open until 2am. Not really anyplace for music and dancing - so if that is your thing you may have to go into town.

Room Tip: The beach front rooms are extra but worth it - you have direct beach access.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank Andyo5180

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent experience at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We are glad you had a great time and that you liked our tasty food, gorgeous beach and outstanding staff service. Your feedback is really important to us and we will take it into account to continue improving ourselves to the best.

We hope to host you again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 18 February 2016

Great hotel - grounds and the wildlife is really amazing! No complaints with the room - service or food. Always friendly and helpful staff.

Our second Iberostar Mexican hotel stay in 2 years - noticed in this hotel there was no grooming the beach front every morning to remove the broken shells and corral etc. washed up. Wonder why not?

A great location close to shopping and a wonderful setting to just kick back and relax!

A great stay and we will be returning!. Thanks again Iberostar!!!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bruce T

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing IBEROPSTAR Tucan & Quetzal for your recent visit to the Riviera Maya.

It is great to know you enjoyed our amazing natural surroundings, best location and great and friendly staff.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 17 February 2016

We learned of this resort from my cousins in 2015 and this was our first trip to any resort anywhere. We loved the resort and had a fantastic time. We had many laughs during our stay and were relaxed and refreshed. My husband and I had to come back again this year (2016). Again, we found the star friends just a wonderful, down to earth bunch that really make your stay fun with daily activities and we enjoy the evening shows they also put on. We find the resort a safe and very clean environment. I am a lover of food and there always was a big variety of tasty food in meats , fresh fruit , pastas, desserts and much more. We also enjoy the walk through the jungle as we are admirers of animals and nature. We love the Mexican look of the buildings and rooms and the cleaning staff very polite. We do not want to try another resort. For us,this resort has all that we could ever ask for. It is not a huge resort, therefore not overcrowded with people. Another thing that we like. I loved my yoga classes and water arobics... Gets this old body of mine moving and it feels good.

We just had to get the family and grandkids out to experience it here. So were all coming back March 7. We sincerely believe they will enjoy the resort just as we did and think they are in a land of fantasy.

I recommend this resort for people who appreciate a safe. clean environment, enjoy fun times, nature and animals and good food.
Thank You, Iberostar Quetzel and Star Friends for another enjoyable holiday.

Robert and Deborah Ross
Better Known as
Machete & Machetes Wife
Steinbach, Mb Canada

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
6  Thank robertanddeborahr

Dear guest,

We are really happy to hear that you spend a really good vacation with us, and have great memories of your last visit.

We would like to express our gratitude for the kind words you have submitted to us about our resort, Star friends staff, cleaning staff, food and our beautiful environment.

We appreciate your recommending our hotel and we look forward to seeing you on March!