“Rustic Mexican Charm!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #60 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“Rustic Mexican Charm!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

We travelled here on the 27th July 2012 and returned back on the 11th aug 2012 as a young family consisting of myself, my husband and my 7 year old son. What can I say about the riu Yucatan.......we loved it! I would say there were about 40% english, 40% spanish/mexican and 20% american/canadian. Age range 45 plus and then the younger ones 25 and under, I am 28 and my husband 34 and there were not many people our age! Let me tell you a little bit about this hotel:

Check in - about an hours transfer from Cancun,it was a private road and very secure where all the hotels are along playa car beach, check in was fairly easy everything was laid out on a table when we arrived with our names on it along with a refreshing cocktail which went down very nicely after a 10 hour flight.

Rooms - about a month before I emailed the hotel asking if there were any rooms with a bath for my son as many parents know trying to shower a little one can be hard work. They emailed me back saying we could be upgraded to a suite for an extra $100 per night so I said Thanks but no thanks. To my surprise when we got there they upgraded us free of charge so well worth an email if you've got little ones! Yes the rooms are a little dated but as I said in the title its a little bit of rustic Mexican charm it was lovely. Beds wernt too hard we all slept fine.Air con wasnt great but they soon got maintenance to come and see us after we said about it and he seemed to fix it that day, still not the best ive had but it was enough we just had our ceiling fan on aswell to circulate the cold air a bit more. Fridge was restocked every 2 days with pepsi, fanta, beer, water etc and of course there was the optics. Cleaner was there every day and done a great job and was very friendly.

Restaurants - Dont know why people complain about the food I really dont there is something for everyone and it is all very yummy! We went to all the restaurants, buffett, steak house, Asian and Mexican. My personal favourite was the steak house but you do get so much food, probably too much to be honest. But all were very nice and we didnt get up really early to book them either probably got down to breakfast about 8ish. For lunch you eat in the steak house and the mexican restuarants and it is typical lunch food really pizza,pasta,fish,salad,burgers,hotdogs,chips,enchilladas etc etc my sons favourite was the mixed ice cream just like a Mr Whippy which he loved to do himself.

Drinks - these were ok, i drank mostly cocktails and believe me they were NOT watered down - lol, if you want your branded drinks i.e smirnoff, Jim Bean etc all you have to do is ask. My husband drank beer which was Dos Equisxx which he said was fine (and hes quite fussy about his beer). my son liked the strawberry daiquiries but you must ask them to be without alchahol cos they just add it! he also like the fresh bannana milkshakes and chocolate milkshake.

Bars - there was a total of 5 seperate bars inc the pool bars, 1 in the lobby, 2 near the main stage and 2 pool bars. Bar staff were always friendly.

Pool - pool area was very clean the cleaners were there every morning about 20 of them, 2 seperate pools, one a little livlier than the other both with pool bars. The one nearer the beach was the more noisy as they often played games and did there dancing bits there. We always found beds never any trouble.

Beach - Stunning!!!! we came to playacar 10 years ago and to be honest the beach did look a bit different it is now a lot bigger. The first week the water was a little merky with a LOT of seaweed but then the second week after we had quite a storm the sea seemed to clear and it was clear aqua marine water - lovely!! the sand was like talc really soft, beautifull. Again no trouble finding beds. We didnt do any water sports but there was the usual jetskis, parasailing etc. We walked down the beach to your right when you come out of the hotel for about an hour past all the hotels where you come across untouched beach it was very pretty, lots of lizards roaming about on the rocks and all vey natural.

Surrounding Area - is almost jungle like, lots of wildlife we saw quite a few monkeys which my 7 year old loved.

Entertainment - these guys work so hard. A big thank you to Nadia from kids club my son loved going which was a little break for us also. The shows - some are obviously better than the others, our favourites were Michael Jackson, Grease and the Miss Riu which is hillarious, I wont tell you too much about that or it will spoil it soooo funny. They are always doing something all day every day.

Weather - our first week was lovely sunny every day about 32-36 very hot we went down to the pool in the morning and the beach in the afternoon to break it up a bit. The second week not so good there was a hurricane coming in from the Carribean huricane Ernesto i think It was called think we got the tail end of it VERY windy and very wet we had this for about 3 days but after that it was lovely again, shame really but you cant help the weather!

Day trips - We done the dolphins we didnt book through Thomsons, we booked through the guys at the beach as they were about £30 each cheaper and with 3 of us that worked out a £90 saving! We went to Dolpinus which was lovely, photos as many have said before very expensive but you cant not. We got 3 photos on a disc and the dvd which cost us $99 and this price goes up depening on how many piccys you have. To be honest the dvd was a little disapointing they only film the foot push and the dolphins swiming about thats it! none of the other activities, what a shame.

Playa Car town - horrible!!!! we came here about 10 years ago and it was a small Mexican town with a few gold shops a few restaurants and a few little local shops. Now theres about 100 shops every one of them trying to get you in asking you if you want drugs try before you buy they were yelling at me even tough i had my 7 year old with me, so dissapointing! We only went there once as i didnt feel safe gong back.

All in all would we go back........probably yes and would defo recommend this hotel, ignore the negative comments as I would say there just being picky, enjoy it and have FUN!!!

7 Thank Steph1702
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,008)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

'i really want, i want to go back to riu'
If you have been to Riu Yucatan you will understand the title.

i advise every parent to take their teenagers there as a family holiday as im a 16 year old girl and had literally the best time of my entire life. i went for 2 weeks as only 1 week is not worth the 10 hour flight.

when we arrived the check in was extremely quick and you are greeted with a yummy fruit punch! No queing and went straight off to start the holiday!

The rooms were very clean and the bed size was incredible and theres plenty of space in each room. And every other day you get animals made out of flannels in your rooms. i was on the bottom floor closest to the pool which was a bonus.

As i went with my family who are all older than me, for the first few days i was slightly bored as my excitement for the pool and beach had now blown over. this is where the entertainment staff helped. They were so so incredibly friendly and fun and called me London (where i come from) instead of my name (grace) Everyday there would be activities for example ping pong, bingo, stretching, zumba and dance lessons by the pool etc.

finally met some people my own age and we all went to a club called 'Mandala' (adivse you to go) and we went with all the reps as they looked after us. they would always check up on us!

the whole staff at Yucatan are so friendly and on my last day the entertainment team made me feel very special because they said they would miss me. So what people say on here about them being cheesey is not true.

the food is brill! many diffferent varieties every night in the buffet!

im already saving up for next years holiday to go back there so i advise you do so too!!

Room Tip: bottom floor as those late nights getting up the stairs without a lift will be tricky!
7 Thank graceenglandlondon
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the RIU Playacar a few times (2007 and 2011) and the RIU Vallarta (Puerto Vallarta/Pacific). Those were fine RIU resorts. Booked the RIU Yucatan this time for our 5th anniversary and loved it. Much larger than the RIU Playacar (like 3 times larger), larger beach area with some excellent palm tree arrangements and the restaurants (the "reservations" kind) were great. The "Steak House" was excellent. The "Shanghai, not so much (but still pretty good).

The pools were very nicely done, and the entertainment was also great. The beach dance on Friday night (our actual anniversary) was great and fun - all from the young kids to the retirees were on the beach at 11pm dancing. Lost some weight with that after all the buffets that day.

We walked to the RIU Playacar on the beach about 1/2 mile away just for old time's sake and we both agreed that we liked the RIU Yucatan better. WiFi in the lobby was impossibly slow, but enough for a few Skype calls and a few Facebook uploads (and Kindle purchases). A lot of wildlife here too, unlike the Playacar. Monkeys in the trees and jungle everywhere. Very neat.

As always, the staff was excellent, the grooming of the entire area (grounds to trash to general cleanliness) was fantastic and it was really a good time. Those bartenders are the most efficient I have ever seen (and they are fast!!!). This was the best RIU yet - and inside the community of Playacar, everything is safe and dandy. Very pleased! We left just as Hurricane Ernesto was coming to the south of the Tulum/Belize area. Interesting background. Yep, that's the edge of Ernesto! We will go here again. Loved it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank findbrian
Niagara Falls, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

This is a letter I wrote to RIU's customer service department after returning from our trip to this hotel in May... I have yet to receive a response. If you are considering this resort please read and be wary!!!

Lianne D******* <lianne.d*******@gmail.com> Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM
To: customerserviceamericas@riu.com

To whom it may concern,

We are writing you to let you know about our recent experience at the RIU Yucatan Playacar in Riviera Maya, Mexico. My boyfriend and I booked our vacation through Signature Vacations for one week (May 2-9, 2012). Prior to booking we spent much time and energy researching the resorts in Riviera Maya, and after recommendations from many of our friends and family, we decided to book the RIU Yucatan. Aside from their great feedback about the resort, we trusted our positive brand associations with the RIU name.

Check-in was fantastic, we were given our requested room location and overall very impressed with the resort's appearance and amenities. Our vacation went on without any problems, and we frequently commented on how we would definitely be back to not only Riviera Maya, but this resort. Then on our second last day, things took a drastic turn. After returning from a full day excursion at 4 p.m., we quickly changed as we wanted to hit the beach for the last few remaining hours of sun. We had left all our belongings in the suitcase for the duration of the trip (never unpacked), so at this time some of our cash was quickly stored in between layers of clothing in our zipped suitcases. The room had already been cleaned when we got back, so we weren't expecting anyone else to come in. Upon returning from the beach we were getting ready for a night out in Playa del Carmen, when we realized our cash was missing. A combined $560USD was gone, all of what we hid after our excursion, and some from the safe. We couldn't believe that someone had actually come into our room and stole from us, so after spending an extensive amount of time and energy tearing the room apart looking for it, we realized it really was gone and proceeded to the front desk in a panic. Not only were we now left with NOTHING, we were genuinely concerned for our safety in the room as clearly multiple people had access and could come in whenever they pleased (there were no signs of a break-in to the room, so it was obviously an inside job by an employee). The front desk was cordial about the matter, but aside from writing a report, they could do nothing. We demanded to speak to a manager, and after much avoidance, they finally directed us to Joseba Altuna (Subdirector). He was polite but told us to go to the police station (which would require a 20 minute cab ride), but we had no money to even get there! And when we asked for a reference number of the incident report, he refused to give it to us. No one at the resort was helpful or accommodating in rectifying this situation, and what had started out as a relaxing and enjoyable vacation, turned into a nightmare, as we just wanted to leave and get back to safe Canada.

We are frequent travelers. We're planning an extensive 3-week tour of Italy in the fall, and another all-inclusive trip in the winter, possibly Aruba. It's unfortunate to say that we will not be considering any RIU properties for these, or any future vacations. Our positive brand association with RIU as a safe luxury resort provider has been forever tarnished, and we will be strongly against letting our friends and family stay at your properties. I know we are not the first to get robbed in Mexico, and I'm sure we aren't the first to write to you about it, we just want to make sure you are aware of what is happening at your properties, and help you better your business. How can you ever improve if people don't share their experiences with you? At the end of the day, they only took $560 from us, but the amount in lost revenue that the RIU brand will incur will be much greater, as we have already told our story to multiple people who are not only as in shock as we are, but will now think twice when booking their next vacation.

Regards,

Lianne D*******
Niagara Falls, Canada

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
28 Thank leedewbs
wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

I'm a travel agent and I always try to give the unbiased good and bad...I have stayed at this resort twice before and the reason we go back is the service and location.

Check in is usually pretty easy...they are well organized and have you to your room quickly...we had a room in building closest to pool....

Rooms are not anything special....I recommend you ask for a mattress topper as the beds are very hard...they had a 3rd bed set up in our room for our son...which worked out well. But spacious...clean and minibar stocked daily--however they are starting to show some wear and tear....needs some updating

Restaurants are sometimes difficult to get into I recommend you make your reservations right away....buffets are plentiful and there is a wide variety of food to choose from...typically theme nights...check the menu board in the morning

Pools-need some reconfiguring....smaller area which makes it easy to find someone...however it can be very crowded

It is set on one of the best stretch of beach in Playacar area...wide...can walk forever and the nice sloping beach you can walk into the water way far out...so great for kids...snorkel right off the beach....or partake in many of the other watersports

Quick 15 minute cab ride into Playa Del Carmen....so it's very convenient

It's a good basic all inclusive....if you're expecting a 5 star it's not....

• 2 of 5 bubbles
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#102 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,372 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Yucatan? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK