April 21-28. We had a group of 11, 5 rooms. Check in was pretty painless, staff very nice, got us through and into our rooms as soon as they could. Never once did I see or hear anything about time shares there or the entire week for that matter.
The best part about Sandos was the staff by far, very very friendly people, always looking to help you, see if you need anything, they go above and beyond what I could have possibly expected.
The resort is beautiful, CLEAN, well maintained. Loved the little critters we would see from time to time, lizards, iguanas, and two little animals I can't even pronounce. I even liked the loud squawky birds that flew around, even in the buffet, it's outdoors, what do you expect? They didn't hurt anyone, they didn't bother you, and they didn't make a mess.
The rooms - don't bother upgrading unless you are that room picky. Our room was close to the beach, close to everything. The only places that were a hike were to a few of the restaurants, but the grounds are so pretty, and you are stuffed when you leave, I found the walks to be very refreshing and much needed after how much you eat. If you upgrade you are way far away from everything, the beach, the bar, the buffet. Our room had a beach view slightly, very cute, very clean..only complaint was the bed was pretty darn hard but oh well minor. The room was cleaned every day while we were out, water and beverages always restocked. They would come in the evening while we were out and turn down the bed. When we arrived we had a towel swan on the bed, the second night we were left with a bottle of champagne on ice and fresh fruit, one night we had a Mayan key chain and book left on the bed, nice touches.
Beach - wow, beautiful, clean. Never had a problem finding a chair, and if there wasn't one where we wanted it, they went and dragged them over for you. How people can complain they only have so much of the beach being a "regular" guest, and lack of chairs is ridiculous, they obviously didn't know what they were doing. The "select" guests had one small section, everyone else had the whole rest of the beach. They even come out and serve you drinks while there, and they are constantly cleaning, picking up cups, garbage, etc... you never saw anything laying ever at any time.
Pool - didn't use it, but was beautiful and I saw them cleaning it every single morning.
Buffet - cleanest and freshest buffet I have ever seen, including any buffet I have ever been to in the U.S. hands down. Food was very good, pasta buffet very good as well. Never did you see a dirty table, plates left, they were picked up as soon as you slid them away from you. They brought you beverages regularily as well. These people WORK very hard.
Mexican restaurant - very good, I had an awesome sweet pepper soup and fajitas. After dinner I ordered a coffee with Kahlua, and we were entertained with a five minute show of flaming alcohol while they were making it!
Asian restaurant - the bomb, wow that was good. Had soup of some kind that was great, shrimp tempura and Pad Thai. Awesome!
Mediteranean restaurant - asparagus soup, surf and turf, not bad, decent.
El gaucho steak house - bean soup, grilled shrimp and a New york strip - Excellent!
Didn't use room service, and never saw a dirty dish left outside any door.
Entertainement - decent to pretty darn good. We had fun.
La Bamba bar - again, those guys worked their tails off. Drinks were plenty strong!
The last evening I was there, I saw three elderly woman with canes walking back to their rooms, pretty late, about 10:45, and what stood out to me, a young male employee, holding one of their hands, escorting them back to their hacienda, I don't think I need to say much more about this staff.
Check out was a breeze as well, hated to leave. Would I go back to Sandos - no question there, absolutley yes. I read so many reviews before I left I was scared, but now I realize these people are probably impossible to please. Tip the workers, they appreciate it but do not ever have their hand out expecting it. We never felt like they were waiting for a tip if they did something for you. They seemed like they genuinely wanted to help you and they worked extremely hard doing so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos