“Excellent”

Ranked #61 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Neenah, Wisconsin
“Excellent”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

April 21-28. We had a group of 11, 5 rooms. Check in was pretty painless, staff very nice, got us through and into our rooms as soon as they could. Never once did I see or hear anything about time shares there or the entire week for that matter.

The best part about Sandos was the staff by far, very very friendly people, always looking to help you, see if you need anything, they go above and beyond what I could have possibly expected.

The resort is beautiful, CLEAN, well maintained. Loved the little critters we would see from time to time, lizards, iguanas, and two little animals I can't even pronounce. I even liked the loud squawky birds that flew around, even in the buffet, it's outdoors, what do you expect? They didn't hurt anyone, they didn't bother you, and they didn't make a mess.

The rooms - don't bother upgrading unless you are that room picky. Our room was close to the beach, close to everything. The only places that were a hike were to a few of the restaurants, but the grounds are so pretty, and you are stuffed when you leave, I found the walks to be very refreshing and much needed after how much you eat. If you upgrade you are way far away from everything, the beach, the bar, the buffet. Our room had a beach view slightly, very cute, very clean..only complaint was the bed was pretty darn hard but oh well minor. The room was cleaned every day while we were out, water and beverages always restocked. They would come in the evening while we were out and turn down the bed. When we arrived we had a towel swan on the bed, the second night we were left with a bottle of champagne on ice and fresh fruit, one night we had a Mayan key chain and book left on the bed, nice touches.

Beach - wow, beautiful, clean. Never had a problem finding a chair, and if there wasn't one where we wanted it, they went and dragged them over for you. How people can complain they only have so much of the beach being a "regular" guest, and lack of chairs is ridiculous, they obviously didn't know what they were doing. The "select" guests had one small section, everyone else had the whole rest of the beach. They even come out and serve you drinks while there, and they are constantly cleaning, picking up cups, garbage, etc... you never saw anything laying ever at any time.

Pool - didn't use it, but was beautiful and I saw them cleaning it every single morning.

Buffet - cleanest and freshest buffet I have ever seen, including any buffet I have ever been to in the U.S. hands down. Food was very good, pasta buffet very good as well. Never did you see a dirty table, plates left, they were picked up as soon as you slid them away from you. They brought you beverages regularily as well. These people WORK very hard.

Mexican restaurant - very good, I had an awesome sweet pepper soup and fajitas. After dinner I ordered a coffee with Kahlua, and we were entertained with a five minute show of flaming alcohol while they were making it!

Asian restaurant - the bomb, wow that was good. Had soup of some kind that was great, shrimp tempura and Pad Thai. Awesome!

Mediteranean restaurant - asparagus soup, surf and turf, not bad, decent.

El gaucho steak house - bean soup, grilled shrimp and a New york strip - Excellent!

Didn't use room service, and never saw a dirty dish left outside any door.

Entertainement - decent to pretty darn good. We had fun.

La Bamba bar - again, those guys worked their tails off. Drinks were plenty strong!

The last evening I was there, I saw three elderly woman with canes walking back to their rooms, pretty late, about 10:45, and what stood out to me, a young male employee, holding one of their hands, escorting them back to their hacienda, I don't think I need to say much more about this staff.

Check out was a breeze as well, hated to leave. Would I go back to Sandos - no question there, absolutley yes. I read so many reviews before I left I was scared, but now I realize these people are probably impossible to please. Tip the workers, they appreciate it but do not ever have their hand out expecting it. We never felt like they were waiting for a tip if they did something for you. They seemed like they genuinely wanted to help you and they worked extremely hard doing so.

Room Tip: Room 2319, just a regular room, very nice, bed a little lumpy and hard, my only complaint. I wouldn...
12 Thank TammyD123
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,839)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I read the reviews prior to and after my stay April 24 - 28, 2012. Prior to… I was excited. After… I was astounded. I can't believe the 3 out of 5 or the 4 out of 5 ratings. Although the property is beautiful, the food, the drinks (all alcohol is watered down), and the fear of theft are prominent. If not for being on a trip with a large group of friends, I would have readily forfeited my funds to go to a different hotel. I'm surprized by the positive reviews. I think it must be assessed from one's baseline. If your baseline is the Westin, Hyatt, or Fairmont...save your money...this place is beyond disappointing. One of our friends had their computer and cash stolen from their LOCKED/NO NOT DISTURB room. Days later I returned to my room during dinnertime to find the gardener “looking for lost luggage” in my room! SERIOUSLY!!!! Save your money, spend a bit more and gamble on a better property. AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!!!

Room Tip: If you must - choose the ocean front which isn't really ocean front because the beach chairs are...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank Charley100
Londonderry, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We were there for the first time in 2010, returned again this year, and enjoyed it even more this time! Now that we are Royal Elite members, were were able to enjoy a few things that we couldn't enjoy the first time. But, even as a non-member, the restaurants, beaches, pools, and rooms are wonderful! And the best part, without a doubt, is the staff! From reception to housekeeping to bartenders and waitstaff, they are all extremely friendly and helpful.

There have been quite a few small but nice changes since our first trip, including signs pointing out different plants and wildlife, as well as a daily crepe station that my kids loved! But, for the most part, the reason why we enjoyed it more is because our familiarity increased. With so many different nightly entertainment options, restaurants, pools, paths to walk on, and areas of the beach to choose from, it took us awhile to figure out what we love the most.

We are already looking ahead to when we will return again. Thanks so much!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Jon D
British Columbia Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2012

A very beautiful and well taken care of resort. My only concern for other people considering this hotel is that there is a lot of walking to and from restaurants and the rooms. THe food and service was top notch - you could not ask for better!! Andre at the spa gives the best massage ever and Carlos the bartender at the swim up bar is fantastic. This is the last hotel on the strip and so you can walk down untouched beach and it is amazing. Overall a very good experience for us!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Adult area are the furthest from the beach and the restaurants - but very quiet!
6 Thank Cheetah101
Vernon, BC
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed at the Sandos Playacar Riviera Adult Select part of this resort and it was wonderful! I have no idea why anybody would complain about the walk to the beach etc..... it is such a beautiful walk and only takes about 7 minutes. If you truly don't want to walk there is a shuttle from the lobby to the meeting point every 5 minutes or so. We loved this part of the resort as it was for adults only and the select club adult area had the only swim up bar. Carlos at the pool bar was just wonderful! He work very hard and it was a pleasure to give him tips throughout our stay of 2 weeks at this resort.

There are lots of a la cartes to enjoy at this resort. Our favorites were Asian and the Mediterranean. All of the buffets were good, especially the Festival Buffet. They did change up the food from day to day which was wonderful when you are there for two weeks! My husband especially loved it when there was lots of seafood at the buffets, which was often.

If you stay at the Adult Riviera Section part of this resort there is a breakfast buffet that is wonderful right beside your area of the hotel. It is an a la carte in the evening. A young man named Walter worked in this buffet and he was always so wonderful to us and so was Edith who cooked our eggs however we wanted them done each morning.

Some tips of things to make sure you do while at this resort are:

- make sure you go to the Mexican Festival that they hold at the Meeting Point every Tuesday!
- make sure you go to see the Michael Jackson show in the theatre on Saturdays!
- make sure you check to see what is happening at the Meeting Point each night, WOW, do
they work hard to entertain you! It was so much fun!
- make sure you tip those that you think are fabulous! They work so hard to make your stay
great!
- make sure you sign out the bikes available and bike into Playa del Carmen, that was great!

We spoiled the ladies/men that cleaned our room each day. Always left them a tip on our pillow. I had also brought gifts from Canada for them as well and loved to spoil them each day! We would come back to find the most amazing towel art on our bed! If we left them a note requesting more water etc....,it was always there for us.

The Beach!!! All I can say is WOW!!! They have an amazing stretch of beach at this resort! If you walk off to the right you can walk forever with no development, just beach and jungle! If you walk off to the left you can be in Playa del Carmen in about 40 minutes. Our favorite thing to do was to pull a beach chair right up to the edge of the water and just admire the beautiful water! That is why we are here, the best weather and beach you could possibly want! Also, we just love the mexican people, so friendly and helpful!

If you are looking for a quiet resort without kids, then this one isn't for you if you stay in the area other then the adult area. The main pool had tons of kids of all ages. The adult pool of course didn't. The adult pool was busy by the swim up bar, but if you went to the other end it was very quiet. Just up to you as to what you want.

We usually ended our evening at the Meeting Point with drinks. Diony, who was often our waitress, was just wonderful to us!

Anybody who complains about this resort just has a bad attitude. It was a wonderful resort and we would go back again!

Room Tip: The rooms in the adult riviera section of this resort are much more modern. Although like most hotel...
7 Thank Okanagangang